Home Technical Talk

Texturing Question

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
FiOSO polycounter lvl 10
I'm currently in the process of building a cartoony viking ship, I guess in a World of Warcraft style. I'm wondering what the texturing process would be for the ship. Should I create a bunch of tileable textures to cover the ship? If so what size specs should I shoot for to keep in in that Warcraft realm. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    i would make a 512 by 2048 strip. that way u can tile from left to right. with that said as long as it totals up to 2048 height wise yr good to go. obviously gonna be a lot of wood. so maybe a 512 at the top and below a few dif 512 by 256 variations of the same wood with dif tones and details. as far as wow style, its all painted and along the lines are basic shapes. take screen of there Zeps.

In all honesty though i would say stick with the 512 by 2048 as thats what i do. not because its the right way. remember you can do what ever you want to make it look how u want it to look. simple rule 2 rules: Square, TGA.

Hope that helps
  • FiOSO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FiOSO polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the reply, So what you are saying is that I can make various textures and tile them across a single texture sheet? Below is a sketch of the ship, so could I make a texture of the planks on the hull and then another for the pattern that goes around the deck, one for the rope etc. ? Thanks!
    ship.jpg