Home Technical Talk

Maya's transform gizmo... Too slow?

t4paN
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
t4paN polycounter lvl 10
So, I'm going to have to learn to use Maya for a project I'll be working on come September. I've got the PLE and everything and I'm just trying to familiarize myself with the program right now (I'm originally a 3DS Max user) and the one thing that really sticks out is the transform gizmo in Maya.

While in Max you can choose between 1, 2 or all axis on which to move a vertex, face or whatever, from what I've seen so far you can only move stuff on a single axis, or freely on all axis combined in Maya.

Is it just me or is the poly modelling process of Maya really slow compared to max because of that? Is there a way to change the way the gizmo works?

Replies

• rebb
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    You can also move in 2 axiseseseseses by holding CTRL and dragging the Axis that is perpendicular to the 2 you want to move in.
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    rebb wrote: »
    You can also move in 2 axiseseseseses by holding CTRL and dragging the Axis that is perpendicular to the 2 you want to move in.

Yay, that's exactly what I was looking for! I could definitely get used to that. Thanks buddy!
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I still max for poly modeling, but Maya has lots of nice features, what I enjoy the most is being able to move the transform gizmo around on the fly (using the d shortcut, most often combined with v to snap it somewhere), combined with the "Keep Spacing" toggle (ctrl rigtck click menu) you can move lots of stuff around fast, and precisely.
    Max has the Work Pivot now, which tries to do the same thing, but it's still not as fluid as moving around the gizmo in maya with d in my oponion.
    If that plus Maya's snap was in Max, that would be awesome.