Home Technical Talk

Environment lighting questions

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
I'm working on a real-time environment, but is it worth trying to get the lighting to look good in Max's viewport, or should I just fake it in a render? I'm almost to the point of just importing it all to Unreal 3 so that the lighting works how I want it to. Any recommendations? I've had a look at several other lighting threads, but haven't really found what I'm looking for.

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'd probably go the UE3 route, since if it's for a portfolio, it will be a bonus for a potential employer to see you've got working in-game assets looking good, rather than just renders from max where you can fake a lot.
  • Mark Dygert
    Use which ever you're comfortable with just make sure 3dsmax doesn't write checks realtime can't cash. Play by the same rules (maybe bend them a bit) and you should be fine.

Which ever is going to allow you to make the most changes in the shortest amount of time is going to give you the best results.

Considering 3dsmax can play by the realtime rules, can render really fast, and it can be used to push the lighting up and above realtime if needed, I'd use it IF you're familiar with how the lighting system(s) work. But if you're more familiar with Unreal3, go for it. There is the added benefit of having your assets in realtime, in game.
  • hobodactyl
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate your advice! Think I'll go with UE3.

Vig: Yeah, I really need to work on learning Max's lighting system more; another project :)