Home Contests & Challenges Archives

"Mod Facade" Challenge - Scooby

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
If history is any indication, this will never get finished.

:poly141:
....but I'm gonna give it a shot!

Just sorta doing a reasonably simple heavily used urban building & some props + a little street base.

scooby_modular.jpg

I hope all my color coding & UV usage is obvious. I've got a lot of extra space really if I decide some things more room or variation. Also lots of props may come into this and I can have a more full portfolio piece.

Maybe I'm totally screwing the pooch and should pick a more dynamic subject...?

nodetail_blockin.PNG

And finally my ref picked from www.cgtextures.com

building_ref_web.jpg

I looked, but not terribly well. I hope nobody else is doing this same ref.

Crits, advice, etc all welcomed now & till completion.
Thanks

Replies

• Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Kind of looks like you're trying to break up one 2048x2048 texture, which is what the challange was saying, but I think you'd be better off breaking up the 2048 texture into smaller ones that add upt ot 2048... which is what you were kind of doing in that pic, just from your words sounds/looks like you were planning one pic.

The reference is pretty cool too, nice building/textures.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Oh yeah, of course. I just thought that would be a good way to graphically represent my planned texture budgeting. The smallest of those squares is a 512x512.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    ahh yeh scooby i see what you mean. you should really show the divisions so we know that its cut up. you mean that the 2 bottom bits are 2 seperate 124 sheets and the top one is 1024x2048?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol why does he need to show the divisions? You can either assume he'll cut it up or use one texture, both of which are completely acceptable =)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you've got a solid plan and some really good ref.

You're off to a good start but I think you should stick closer to the ref and maybe even use that angle as a final shot. So many people do corner shots and corners in my humble experience require a lot of custom texture and polys, but it really depends on how you plan it, and I don't see much in the planning to compensate for the corners?

You can possibly shave down the roof texture allocation, if we (player/camera) are never going to see it a simple tiny tile could do it? Maybe you have more custom stuff planned for the roof like an AC unit or vents? Maybe you can cook up some overlays with the saved space?