Home General Discussion

4th of July in Orange County: what to do?

I've been here in Orange County for 3 years, but have spent my July 4th celebrations elsewhere each year. Time for a change! I'm thinking I might head over to Huntington Beach at some point or maybe wander around Balboa. If anyone has any bright ideas on some things to do or see in Orange County this July 4th let me know!

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah I hear Huntington is nice for the 4th. I'm actually out of town for the weekend like most of LA. But LA during holidays=easy driving everywhere.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    when I lived in west la people shot guns off from other apt. complexs. I shit u not. If ur willing to drive, santa monica peir / venice beach might be doing something? Or u can atleast set the bums on fire.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Long beach is the place to go. Fireworks at the Queen Mary. Did that one year and it was better than most other things going on in LA on the 4th. Just be warned - after the fireworks are over - stick around in LB for a good long while. Cause the traffic out of there is stupid crazy.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I was wondering the same thing since I just moved down here a few months ago. I live in HB, so..decision made. :D Thanks guys.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah Queen Mary is supposed to be amazing.

Luxury traffic here during holidays is amazing. It's like I Am Legend or something. Last 4th of July I made it from Burbank to Hollywood in a record 20 minutes or something I think. Every holiday is like that in LA. One place you shouldn't go, Vegas. The traffic there is nuts on holiday weekends.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed. I love not going home for the holidays because LA is like a ghosttown usually. The only example I can think of where it isn't is like that is what I mentioned after the fireworks on the 4th. All the parents want to get the kiddies in bed asap as they usually end around 9:30/10ish and so for those 2 hours after - you'd be better off walking home than driving, no matter where in LA you live. It's like the opening scene of Office Space for realz.

Also - Burbank to Hollywood in 20 minutes? What's special about that? That's only a 15 min drive on a normal day. 30 in rush hour traffic at the very worst. You must be doing it wrong....
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I went to HB for the 4th last year, and it took me about 2 hours just to get from Main St back to the 405 at about 10pm after the fireworks were over.

So yes, if you are going for the fireworks, plan on staying late and leaving after the MAD rush.