Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Please, check out my portfolio 2008

hey you guys, its me again back at it, been searching for a job in the industry since dec. been lucky with getting replies of people loving my work, but for the most part keep gettin turned down with those art tests.

right now i am at the stage where i know i need to update my website, and also change the layout, what ddo you guys think?

check it out at www.ciscojavierart.com

Replies

• Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    Reduce then number of clicks to get to your art. I'd also make the thumbnails bigger, and color. The way it is now with the preview showing on the right side is a little bit weird because the images didn't load immediately for me so it took me a second to realize that's what was going on. Also when I clicked on the thumbnail, it brought up the image in the same window, but because it's on a white background in the top left, I assumed it was a new window, and closed it. Maybe it's just my own fault for not being observant enough, just giving an honest opinion.

I'm in a similar spot as you, looking for my first gig, so take my crits as you will. But definitely reduce the number of clicks to get to your art if nothing else.
  • xensun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the only thing that bugs me is when I click a tumbnail theres no way back to the gallery , thats more a personal thing, I would like a "back" button or just make it so clicking the image brings you back to the gallery, also make the index page your 3d art less clicking=better, and the roll over a tumbnail showing the art in a smaller window only to click and see it larger seams a bit redundant . other then that looks good and best of luck. :)
  • sub_roland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland polycounter lvl 12
    yeah im not a fan of how the first image on your site you have to scroll around to see it all. i would recommend making the image smaller, so that it all fits in there. if that makes since. Then yeah make your gallery images open in a new window. and ive been told to get rid of place holders for you images, so i'll pass that on to you. and watch out for your background image it has a huge seem down the center i first thought it was a texture problem which would be bad for you if a recruiter noticed it, but then i saw that it was a problem with image alignment, so i would say watch out for that also. but as for the over all layout i like it, buttons stay in place and the color theme is good on the eyes.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Probably all already mentioned...

The first big image on the site is broken by the frame you have it in, so I have to use SCROLLBARS to see it.

On the front page, I'm not sure of the purpose of the text panel. It says 'Thank you', and later, 'Welcome'. That's redundant.

It tells you that the name of the website, which is already in the title bar and in the top left.

The entire text panel is a waste of space, yet there isn't enough room for the image - which is more important?

On the left you have a single column with a single image that is taking up more screen real estate. A sidebar with no content in it? I'd ditch that too.

The autoloading of images is really slow, and they often pop up with scrollbars again.

Thumbnails are too small and need to be in colour - you should be able to see from the thumbnail what it is you are clicking on.
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whoa, cool guys thank you very much, now i am on it!
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Get rid of the front page. And if you insist on HAVING that god-awful front page, get something with some decent texture / pixel density on it. What you have right now is crap.

Your resume - NO to a .jpg. Offer a Word format at the very LEAST.

I've said this before, and you still don't wanna change it, and now more people have said the same thing - GET RID of the "Hover over the thumbnail to get a compressed version of the image to show up in the right-hand side, but since it's a compressed version of the high-res version, people get to sit and wait for the damn thing to load".

I don't know what "Polies" are. Are you talking about Polys? Or Triangles?

That robot-blob monster - It is unfinished. If you are telling me that you plugged in 12 textures to get THAT - you lose. You aren't a character artist. The FIRST thing on your page shouldn't be a half-assed attempt at a character. Get rid of it.

The Concrete Games test. The studio went under months ago and the results of your test aren't good enough for a current-gen game studio. Why are you rendering stuff on a black background?

Your images are too godamn big by default. If you insist on having 2,000x1500 pixel renders, offer people the choice to see the higher resolution. Keep your aspect ratio no bigger than 1000x800-ish by default. If your work is killer, it will be killer at any res. If your work is sub-par or mediocre, blowing it up by 200% isn't going to help you any.

You aren't showing a knowledge of current-gen trends with your props and assets for consoles. No, we do NOT use 7 1024x512 unique maps for a cash register prop, a table, or a soda fridge. All of your assets with their ridiculous amounts of map calls are simply showing an assumption of what "next-gen" is, and not an actual understanding of the sort of limitations props and assets are given.

Show a REALLY good Color, Spec, and Normal with reasonable texture sizes for props. You aren't impressing anyone with AO, Glow, or any other fancy buzzword you can throw at your prop unless the FIRST three vital buzzwords are good. Your 1-to-1 aspect ratio of AO maps is relatively absurd as well.

The majority if your portfolio is very stylized. The lighting is as well. You are pigeon-holing yourself into a very singular style.

You want a job as a prop / environment artist? Start by doing every-day random environments and props. Make them look as realistic or as close to real as possible. Your zany lighting and wonky projects have completely limited the studios that will consider you.

Can you do everyday, normal props or environments? Can you recreate reality? That is step one. Do that.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    wow i wrote a post and saw that ott just wrote what i was gonna say !
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Basically everything I have told you before and what Ott just said.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    i almost cried for javier. that was cold and to the point ott lol. but great crits all around, hope he impliments them.
  • scotths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Francisco,
    Seconding what other people said, probably, but here it goes. Your work is great and showing it better will make you look even better.

- Get the site out of frames.
    - Keep the same navbar/header throughout the whole site, even when you are showing the bigger images.
    - Always put your name/website/email address on your images.
    - Get rid of the placeholder thumbnail slots in the 2d section.
    - Get rid of the slow-loading hover-over-the-thumb navigation
    - Do not resize your images in html code. Make the image the exact size you are using it on the page. It makes the images slow to load and also jaggies up the details.
    - In your contact page, you do not need to use the phrase "Click on the link to..." Just make it look clickable. Same with "Hover to get preview, click to get full size". In general, if you need to tell people how to navigate your site, you have not designed it simply enough.

Cool work. I loved seeing your work thread on the cantina.
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea just to reiterate on the auto pop up pictures. They load so slow the first 2 times I looked on the site I didnt even know that was a feature. I just clicked on the next picture before it popped up I guess.
  • dale22x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dale22x polycounter lvl 10
    main problem. thumbnails to small. images too big. don't have any idea of what i'm goign to see from the thumbs they are jsut too small to see anyhting...

the image they load is too big, and can't see the whole thing at once on screen. unless i scale it down..but that makes it look terrible
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have any crits you haven't already read, so I'll offer this.

What you have is pretty damn good. So don't give up. Of course don't stop working on new projects because everyone can always do better.

Something to keep in mind is that the economy (at least in the US) is in the toilet right now and the whole housing crisis dried up a lot of capital that companies use to make new hires. Weird I know but it effected more then just housing.

Places might not be back to hiring like they would like to so it might take some time to land a gig. Don't give up, I think you have what it takes and I'm sure some place will bite, it will just take some time. =)

Going into the summer places that are scheduled to ship to meet the holiday demand are often looking for fresh blood about now. So keep the search up!
  • Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott tells you the brutal truth out of love Frank. And my friend, its all stuff you've heard before. So when you're not bathing Shamu in the spotlight get on the suggestions that they have all told ya. Make those changes and do some realistic stuff with tileable textures and decals and what not and make some realistic props with realistic lighting and I bet you'll have a job soon. Dont get to frustrated, just do what Don and Jesse have been telling you for months. I want you in the industry with us you big dumb animal. Of course you dont have to listen to me cause i havent made anything new in a year, doh. Later Frank.
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn, im gone for a week and a half and i get ripped apart by don

just like old times

thats all good though

im going to change as soon as i can
    as for now i got good news, i just got picked up at Double Helix, from Foundation 9 Entertainment as a 3D Jr Environment Artist.

It is about time, i took everything that everyone here and over the phone has said to me. And will ReDO everything on the website as soon as I can.

As for now, I will be working on moving my butt over there in Irvine, CA begin making space for me in the industry.

Thanks for all the good help peeps.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    proud of you frank!!!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    I'd like ott to rip my portfolio apart when i post it here :)
    Ill look ya up then! :D
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll try to keep this short and to the point.

I just graduated (less than a week).

[highlight]I'd like feedback on what I need to show in order to have a stronger portfolio.[/highlight] Not looking to improve my old models, just need direction on what to improve on next.

Demo Reel 1: Going to remove the middle 2 models. Keeping the first and last.

[highlight][ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyiScsFdNdQ[/ame][/highlight]

also on my website: http://www.aldo3d.com/ReelTemplate.html

Demo Reel 2: This one was made mostly for 'non game art' friends...who are impressed by flashy things. What do you guys think? should I put it on my website or are there too many lens flares?

[highlight][ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGTSmuDvl3c[/ame][/highlight]

also on my website for download: http://www.aldojeffrey.com/gameart/AldoFancyReel.rar

**Sorry about the Youtube low quality ones..just not sure how much traffic my site can handle.

[highlight] also, any feedback on my website will be appreciated: [/highlight]

www.aldo3d.com
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    On the first one:
    Honestly, I think your art needs work but that was a really nice way to present your art. I really loved the little scenes you have put together and the way you introduce each model with the 3d text.

I really enjoyed the second one. Heh, I'm impressed with flashy things as well. I think you would be a kick ass FX and/or UI artist (which are both in high demand at the moment).

Oh and one minor thing, and it really doesn't bother me, you do have one of my models in the second video (which is completely fine!). Heh, I'm just pointing it out because you say all artwork and concepts are by you in the closing credits and some people might not dig that if you use their work uncredited.

Good luck!

- BoBo
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Aldo. I agree with BoBo. You have managed to make looking at some so-so models fun. I say that because your presentation is A+ but your models still need work. I won't go into it too much, as it's the same thing a lot of student work suffers from, lack of anatomy, color useage, ect. Don't worry though, It will come with practice and time.
    But just to leave you on a high note, I can tell you worked hard on the presentation of these reels and it shows. Whatever style your models are lacking, comes through in your ideas on editing and post effects. Lots of potential.
  • Cryocat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like that second one a lot... especially the opening.
    My one suggestion is to move the dominance war entry to the front of the first reel, as IMO he is stronger and you really want to showcase your strongest piece first, or so I've always been told.
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BObo: My bad on the credit thing on your bug. My friend actually pointed it out before and I did give you credit on the one I put on my demo reels discs, but the video I used to upload it to youtube was one I had compressed before my friend pointed it out. Sorry about that. I actually used a guilds wars concept in there too (the giraffe looking creature)...so, sorry about not including those in the credits.

Josh_Singh: "so-so models" - that made me lol'ed cause it's totally true. A lot of my models were stuff I did like 2 or 3 years ago. I decided to put it in my reel because my family was coming to my portfolio review and I wanted to show all the stuff I had done in the last few years.

I've actually been told by most, if not all my teachers not to make a flashy demo reel because people in the industry don't like flashy stuff and they'll just write you off because they can't see the things they need to (polycount/construction....etc)...so my question is...Is this really true? [highlight]Should my 'real' demo reel just be rotating models? [/highlight]
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I think that tends to be true. In here, we all like to check other people's stuff out but when someone looks at a reel for hiring purposes, its best if the video is to the point. usually people who are in a position to hire dont have the time or patience to deal with frills...they just want to find the right person and move on. so, for a demo reel that you are going to submit for work, it should be well presented but simple and to the point with only your best!
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That makes sense. I'll keep it simple for my next one.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    I have to say, I disagree with most of the praise for the layout. I'll give you credit for trying something new that almost works, but the constant camera movement, and the in world text goes by so quickly that I just find it annoying. I agree it's kind of a cool presentation for the fun of it, but in terms of hiring you, I would get annoyed that I couldn't look at anything long enough to really see what you did. It feels like you'd rather be making/editing movies than working on game art. Again, not bad stuff, and good creativity, but I'd tone it down for a hiring purposes reel.
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy: Yeah, I think I'll try and find that balance between just rotating models and being distractingly flashy....for my next reel, the one I plan on using for trying to get employment.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aldo, I think just pulling the text into a 2D static overlay would help a lot. I think a big part of the problem was that I was always concentrating on trying to read what was moving by quickly which distracted me from looking at the actual work. As a test, take your existing reel, and just put text overlays with the information, see how it works with your current camera work, but 2d text, and then go from there.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I couldn't read most of that 3d text at all. Static text in a nice simple font would be much better.

Everyone else covered everything else.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    some awesome 2d motion and design stuff in there, but i dont think the 3d animation holds up to it. Specifically the squid bit. Since all of the 2d motion is pretty exaggerated, it may not hurt to push the 3d motion a little more in that direction, with the exception of the camera, which was making me dizzy by the end of the 2nd one :)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Although whether or not my pimp hand is strong has yet to be established. Here's a link to my portfolio-in-progress.

www.willhawthorne.com

The last time I posted progress on my portfolio, I got quite a few criticisms on developing a splash page. I hadn't actually intended to keep it, but I am taking those suggestions to heart. There will be no splash page on the final version of my site. This page is an example of the structure of the individual portfolio entries.

Do keep in mind that I'm not intending to pimp the content in my portfolio. (I just took a screen grab from a piece that wasn't finished anyway) I'm looking for criticisms and suggestions on the structure of the site, the font use, the color scheme, the layout, etc... It's more of a design pimp than a 3D pimp. Of course, I also realize that the page as it is is rather flat. But then, that's why I'm bringing it here to be torn apart. I got a lot of great suggestions from my last post, which is why I started working on this in the first place.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The different sets of thumbnails is confusing.
    Delete "your thoughts" NEVER TELL PEOPLE WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOUR PIECE! They'll find enough on their own without you telling them what they might not have noticed otherwise.
    It would be nice to have larger "big" pictures, than the one on the left.
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    None of the links up the top work for me, I'm using firefox.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Splash, read the freaking post! He's showing you a template of what his portfolio WILL be, it's not complete, and has no content.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    er - just one comment - all the ('display only') link buttons are white and bright and attract one's attention - but then your name is all hidden and merged with the top line - i've doen a little mock-up of how you could change it and make it a little softer as well

will_mockup.png

- another thing i've learnt from comments bout my own site is that white - and any garish light text is harsher on the eye - and you could possibly say' will hawthorne character/3denvironement/3danimtion artist (whichever you seem to specialise in)

sorry bout the rant, i've just eaten a whole jumbo packet of marshmallows and the sugars making me excited :)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the website is broken under opera 9.5 (my default browser), or is it that you simply did not added links at all for now?

It´s compact and propably (once it works) functional but certainly not a beauty (the logo was likely the same). Try some typo within images for your name instead of the windows Arial font, a godd resource for free fonts is:
    http://www.dafont.com/

because the site doesn´t work for now - I can´t get yet the final picture but my personal taste for portfolios is rather to let the pictures speak meaning that they should be the biggest parts of the portfolio. At least the first page has quite a lot text and just 1/2 of the page shows a picture. If it were me I´d make it bigger and the text less.
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    Splash, read the freaking post! He's showing you a template of what his portfolio WILL be, it's not complete, and has no content.

Sorry, I didn't realize it was non-functional. In my defense I did read his post, it doesn't specifically mention the site is a template or doesn't work.

I think the layout works, its simple and not overbearing, how you present your pieces that is the important thing and i think the thumbnails will be an easy way to view things. Perhaps consider a larger view that pops up if the main image is clicked. I would bold the titles and put a matching footer to balance the page out more.
  • BurritoWarrior
    Alright Frankie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Knew you could do it mang! I am glad to see you finally start off your career. Look forward to seeing your talented ass make some props. Give Shamu a kiss goodbye for me. Peace.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Please check out my portfolio, 2008

Have a portfolio you'd like critiques on? Or simply want to have a place for you to put your portfolio for possible employers to view?

Than this is the thread for you!

No longer will we be keeping individual threads on portfolio pimps in the P&P forum, we'll be slowly migrating them in to this thread.

So please, post your portfolios in this thread only.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Adam, even though that is a great idea. ireally dont think itll work and we'll end up with a haphazard pictures of portfolios WAITING to be critiqued ala the What you are working on thread syndrome. Probably unfair
    Guess it might tho! Lets see :)
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    lol@Ott /gently pat Frank
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    man big brother listens, i think it will work, and it will force people to look at other examples befor they post theirs, cutting down on duplicate crits hopefully, would be nice if it could be organised somehow so its easier to trace portfolios and relevant crits. text colour????
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, in that case, I just updated my portfolio...

See it here :o
  • ng.aniki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    Talon wrote: »
    Well, in that case, I just updated my portfolio...

See it here :o

It's really nice ! Just something a bit weird: We can see your wireframe tf2 gordon freeman in a higher resolution than the beauty render.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Talon - Great looking portfolio. Very clean and straight forward. You show off your art well and give me everything I would need to know. My only critique would be to move the Riding Hood model out of the gallery section and maybe place it as a spotlight peace at the top of your misc. section. Since everything else in your gallery is polished and completed, though it's well done, I found it disruptive to the flow you had going as you lead me through your work. I don't think it would be missed if moved.

- BoBo
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys, glad it's clean to navigate - that was my main aim with the redesign.

I'll touch up the things you mentioned :)
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to everyone for their feedback...now it's time to start working on new stuff so I can make a new reel.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Hello, all!

This is my second post of Polycount... my first being a 'hello' where I just posted a few rendered shots. I see that you're hoping to have all portfolios posted in this thread now, so that's just what I'll do.

You can view all my stuff at http://www.mskinrys.com

As I have only just graduated from school, I realize my stuff isn't amazing yet, but I've worked hard and hope to only get a lot better from here!

All comments/critiques welcome. :) Thanks!
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mezz
    I like the feel of your website. It seems to fit your personality/drawing style.

On your 2 toons they both seem to have a deformation issue in their armpits. It might be an edge loop issue or when you painted the weights.

On the female i feel like her arms are too short. I realize they are back a little and it might just be me but her elbow seems too high.

Also it would be nice if you posted the wires and your textures along with a poly/tri count.

@Arctura
    Very nice work. I think you could push your next gen scene a little more. Seems a little empty.

and for a random question for you Arc...you seem to start a lot of your comments with (( and you use * for emots....thats tall tail signs of an RPer...am i right? or just nuts. (( is used for out of character text if people didn't know. (theres my dork question for the day lol)