Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bridge + Hello

Hello. Although this is my first post, I have know about Polycount for a while. I'm finally breaking out of being shy and posting some work for discussion. :angel:

My skills are not up to par, so I will try my best to improve things I may get in the replies.

My current project is inspired by a bridge found in 'Mostar' (Bosnia). This is where I am so far, so if you have a minute, please let me know what you think.

For the terrain I'm using the Sculpt Geometry tool, not sure if displacement maps may be a better idea?

The city area is just a block-in. Thanks for taking the time to look at it!

bridgece9.jpg

bridge2ga0.jpg

bridge3pt1.jpg

Some references:

mostaraltstadtstarimostjs0.jpg

mostarviewjc0.jpg

mostarbridgexq2.jpg

Replies

• Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to Polycount. I hope you can get help and grow in your skill as many others have (including myself).

So onto your bridge. First it would be nice to see some concepts of what you are going for. You have a few pictures of reference at the bottom but they look nothing like the bridge you have modeled. You seem to be making it for vehicles along with people? there seems to be a sidewalk on eather side and a street in the middle.

It's fine if thats what you have in mind but a few things (if thats what your going for). the Street look really narrow. So it looks like a 1 way 1 car lane. Also you seem to have 2 humps in your bridge. Can't say i have ever seen a bridge made that way. It's for the most part 1 arch all the way across on the top.

It looks like this could go some places. Keep working on it and maybe we could give some better input when it's farther along. Maybe post a quick sketch of what you are looking to make as a scene.

As for your ground it looks fine. If you are thinking about putting this in an engine then you would be using the engines ground maker for the most part. And i know you can render out a Displacement map so that the engine terrain comes out the same. If you are just doing this to make a scene then your approach is fine. I use the push/pull brush in Max to make terrain all the time.
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what I can tell it looks fine. The bridge is kinda huge tho compared to the river, who on the other hand looks more like a "pond" ^^. The refs shows the exact opposit, strong river underneath a fairly light bridge. If you wanna build a strong looking bridge, give it a reason.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Ooo,oo is this Toledo in Spain?? Man i regret having my camera stolen,that town was a texture artists dream. Sword collector too.
  • Vesper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions guys!

The problem is that I don't have a concept drawing for this project. I'm doing it by heart.

I did some thinking and ended up making changes. Hope you don't hate it.

The bridge now has more archs. Because I want it to be bold and also have a large river running underneath it. So, Reich, thanks for the suggestions. I ended up making this really quick layout sketch on top of one of the renders. I also made the bridge wider so it can hold more vehicles and flattened out the top. Think it looks better. About the architecture of the bridge, well I'm thinking of pulling different elements that I think would look cool. I'm not following one particular style, hope it doesn't hurt me in the end?

Oh about the terrain, yea I'm not gonna be putting it in an engine, just doing renders of it.

bridge4sketchni6.jpg

I want to add vines and plants growing on the side of the bridge.

bridge51cw5.jpg

bridge61me7.jpg

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hope I didn't forget to address anything. :shifty:
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! And just that quick paint over gives us something better to base what your heart is thinking about ^^

I like it so far cant wait to see a block in of the town. I'm also feeling a town in the distance. Give a nice silhouette back there. In less this place is supposed to be in the boons.

Finish getting it blocked out. A lot of those edges could use some chamfers. They are looking a little sharp (although i am sure your not done with it).

Oh and like the plant idea as well.