Home Technical Talk

ut3 material help please!! (alpha stuff)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
breakneck polycounter lvl 13
Hey all, i've got a stoopid problem with ut3 and my alpha channel. the alpha is originally in my color map and here is a render in maya:
polycount.jpg

i'm noob w/ ut3 editor and i've been swiming in tutorials trying to figure out how to get opacity to fuction. i've tried all the usual suspects - such as ripping out the alpha and using the image seperatly in the opacity channels but i'm stuck. here are some shots from ut3 -
if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be sweet -thanks!

sorry excuse for a material:

mat.jpg

the result:

Copyofunreal_render.jpg

Replies

• Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    There's a flag on the bottom of the material editor that you have to change to... uhm.. I forgot what. Transparency.. Opacity.. whatever.. I'd open the editor and look but it takes toooo long. There are like 4 options to choose frome.

Actually there are many flags but there's only one you have to change.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Connect the Alpha channel to "opacity mask" instead of "opacity" and change the "BlendMode" to Blend_Masked". Hopefully it will work :)
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    right, there's someone who knows what he's talking about. the way I remember things only works for me when Im working with it. heh.
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it depends on what you're needed to do.

(1) Set it to "Opacity Masked" and plug it into the Masked input if you need for performance, it won't look as good, but is the most common form of transparency for grass and other things that are heavy in the scene. At the bottom of the material editor set it to masked.

(2) Or, since it's just one object, just set it to Opacity on the input list, then in the bottom of the material editor set the drop-down list to transparency.
    :)
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the replys, i'll check it out again- let you know if anything works
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salman_fas wrote: »
    Connect the Alpha channel to "opacity mask" instead of "opacity" and change the "BlendMode" to Blend_Masked". Hopefully it will work :)
    The "Blend_Masked" is what gets most people.

Also I forget where the setting is but it will truncate your opacity map making it B&W no shades of gray. It squeeze out any blending by default for performance reasons, but there is a setting to force the blend. I don't have the editor with me otherwise I would scrounge around for it.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'll give that a shot right now. . . loading up the editor - hopefully i don't crash my computer!! (its a weak sissy when it comes to ut3).

**edit. worked like a charm. salman_fas/Vig - thanks much! it was that damn blend_masked dropdown. . .
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Vig: I think you're talking about a clamp.