Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pullman Car Hideout

Tai
Tai
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tai polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys, here is my most recent completed environment, thought I could share it with you guys. :)
Critiques and comments are very weclome
15.jpg

16.jpg

Replies

• Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    environmental artists take note. this is how you can use mostly brown and grey and still make stuff stand out and look good. :icon60:

only crit i would give is to add something to the windows. pieces of broken glass or a few dirty panes.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Looks quite nice. The grocery shop is nice as well on your website, that could maybe use a daytime lighting appearance to show things off better.

Your website needs some work though. keeping everything on window would be nice. and keeping the controls through all pages. maybe have the home page link to your gallery instead. I'd prefer some larger shots, maybe a brief description, but that's just me.

This is worth reading through: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=44187
  • Tai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tai polycounter lvl 9
    Asher>> broken glass seem like a very good idea! I was wondering what I could add to those windows
    Keg>> Thanks for the critiques about my site. I will go take a look at the thread you paste dright now. :)
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work Tai. The only things that bother me are the graffiti on the back wall it just doesn't seem to fit in the 1940's and the hue on the rocks seems a little too green but thats just me being picky. Keep up the great work.

@Asherr, You might want to take a second look i see a lot more hues than just brown lol.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    The broken glass would help with the windows, make sure they have a cube map or reflections on them. Also consider dirt and have a mask for the dirt to affect reflections.

Wilex: I see the environment as an old abandoned building with a view from modern day where some teens found it and tagged it.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I didn't know a soldier was their till i saw the helmet, gun and boots. Maybe push them more in the foreground to make it more apparent? They seem to be on the outskirts of everything.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    looks really great i wonder if you can prebake all those shadows and stuff into an actual ingame usable lightmap ?! ... i dare you :D
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Nice, some nails on those planks in the second pic would be cool
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice, as for the windows maybe giving us an idea of how high up/low down this place is such as the tops of buildings if its really high or if its at ground level having some sort of street visible. That is if you weren't going for the blue skies look.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with the graffiti comments. It was the first thing i noticed and thought was out of place. The floating gun in the window is a bit odd too. I see what you were trying to do there, but it just lookes like a magic trick to me.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Id love to see you dirty up the floor a bit more around that firepit, it doesnt look like theres ever been a fire there, its too pretty, you would expect there to be some charcoal on the rocks and some soot. Other than that this looks great, the lighting is awesome, and yeah add some glass to those windows.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    IMO, some of the shadows are too sharp, ie. the beam-ish thing on the right in the 2nd render.
    I'd make the shadows darker, but that's more of a personal thing.
  • Tai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tai polycounter lvl 9
    @firecracker I tried to put dirt alpha there, but for some reason it absorbed all my photon from Mentalray's GI.. so I took it off, anyone know any way to make a geometry not absorb any photon at all?
    @Leviathan I can try turn the raytrace shadow filter even higher :) althought take half hour to render each shot already
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Tai wrote: »
    @firecracker I tried to put dirt alpha there, but for some reason it absorbed all my photon from Mentalray's GI.. so I took it off,

I figured there was a reason for that, technically I can't really help you there, I dont have much experience with that kind of thing, just trying to help you out visually with what i can see, definately something you should try and get worked out though, but I'll let the pros do that.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Keg's suggestion of glass is spot on. I agree with him, though, because it'll help add contrast in your materials.

Your materials IMO are what's lacking. They don't really feel like what they are representing.

Mainly, they all seem to have similar values in specularity intensity except for the helmet. It's a wash over the entire frame. Since this is something we're not seeing in motion, the specular treatment you may have given this piece won't be shown off as easily so you really need to intensify what is there so that those values will come through in frames like this.

I love the scene overall, and the composition you've gone with, I just think the scene itself needs some exaggerations in order to properly portray itself.