Home Contests & Challenges Archives

FPS Weapon - Kary - MGL 140

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kary polycounter lvl 18
After a few sketches I realized I don't have the experience (as I can't remember modelling a gun before) to put together something that looks like it would both work and have a unique style. So I moved on to this real gun: http://www.defensereview.com/article749.html (I took most of my ref from the company's site yesterday, but apparently they lost their domain to squatters today -- this does not inspire confidence in the military-industrial complex).

The gun reminds me of the demoman's a lot, but has a bit more of a rl feel to it. There is decent coverage online -- not detailed pics from every angle, but enough to work from. It's considered a simple low tech design, but pretty effective: "The MGL-140 will fire six rounds of these unique munitions in 3 seconds at ranges up to 400 meters (437.6 yards) and will effectively cover a minimum destruction area/zone of 20x60 meters. The weapon will also allow the operator to engage specific targets with pinpoint accuracy at up to 150 meters."
mgl140sketch.jpg

I made a box that met the outer dimensions, then placed in rough shapes using the pic from a side view. Everything fit so I expect to be able to place the high poly shapes with this draft, and then do the low poly from the high. In theory anyway :)

Replies

• kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't get started on the high poly until last weekend. A friend asked me to do a drawing and (as he helped me move awhile ago) it seemed a good way to clear the outstanding favour.

I don't have much of a chance of getting this wrapped on time. That is okay as I've learned a ton in the last couple of days and if the low comes out okay I should have a portfolio piece out of it. There was a lot more structural stuff and interesting detail in this gun then I expected -- and everything is based on tubes (yes, much like the internet) so, running off joined shapes was sometimes more complicated then I was expecting:
    mgl140_hpfpv.jpg
    mgl140_hpclay.jpg
    mgl140_hpwires.jpg
    mgl140_hpanim.jpg
    (xvid format, 1.1mb)
    I need to get some more detail on the back of the scope and do a bit of general cleanup there. There are a couple smoothing errors that I hope are small enough to be beneath notice (or something I can flatten when I see how much comes out in the maps). I might try to get a few more welds into it, what is the best method for that? Something like running a renderable spline along the edge with face snapping on, then deleting the front half and flipping the normals?

Anything else that you folks notice I’d appreciate knowing about icon_smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty cool, tho the rails arent modeled very realisticly, unless that wasnt what you were going for =)

6.jpg
    SKS%20Handguard%20with%20Picatinny%20Rail,%20Black.jpg
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Thats a great point EQ, thanks.

gunExample.jpg

That was an area that I did Saturday and wasn't using decent ref (I wasn't bright enough to research what rails should look like... or are). Looking at the ref that I found Tuesday the whole front area I made is snafued. One of the big lessons here for me was care in reference: once I ran into that nice high res ref I realized how confused I was getting from the shots I'd started with, which had 3 or 4 generations of the gun with minor differences and not enough detail for me to read them.

I'll rebuild that section with the above in mind.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    An old version of the grenade launcher: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB6TRpZGz2A[/ame] It's a soft sound when the rounds fire, but a decent bang when they land.

mgl140firstedits.jpg

I hope that gets the rails to passable.

Now that I'm modelling more of a M-32 then a MGL-140 the big cage on the front changes the look a fair bit. Adds a little noise in the FPV, but would make for some interesting angles when moving.

I included the reloading view this time (bottom left). An unusual movement, it would be interesting problem to handle in animation.