Home General Discussion

Hey smart folk,

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
dur23 polycounter lvl 19
I was wondering if anyone new of a simple way to stop all these douche bags from sending me spam mail to my email which is posted on my website. Someone i talked to briefly mentioned something to the effect of meta-tags. I did try googling "spam preventing" and other such things but on the whole their telling me to go and install java and other weird things. Smart folks hAlp?

Replies

• Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I just use gmail for my "official" email and it's got a pretty solid spam filter... that's worked well enough for me, and requires minimal effort.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    What I've started doing for the martial arts website that I run is to set up a new e-mail account [email]info@***.com[/email] which forwards to my personal e-mail. If I start getting spam from it, I'll change it to [email]questions@***.com[/email], and just change it every few months.

Your web hosting service should provide you with some spam filtering tools as well, but I haven't had much need to use them.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    you can setup a gmail account to work with another email as well or try thunderbird? that had nice spam filtering controls.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    ... you.... don't... want a larger penis?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I've setup the spam filters that come with Thunderbird, and it clears a good portion of my spam. With more time it "learns" to detect what is considered spam and what isn't and gets more efficient at filtering.

-caseyjones
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I would normally create an image with my email on it. Text on an image that blends with the rest of the page. You could then set a java encryption script to link to your email, but I wouldn't bother.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    HI there,
    Yup that stuff is super annoying. I was tempted to go for the image thing aswell. Yet I found some page online where you could send some text, and the page would return it encrypted.
    Since I thought it might have been a way for someone to collect emails (!) I encrypted mine in chunks. Don't know if it really prevents spambots tho.

email.gif
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Ferg: Even if you post that email on your website as mailto:?

Ryno: I suspect it has something to with my email having been broadcast off my site now for 6 years. The info i came across said that the spammers have "Crawlers" that go searching for the mailto: in the html of a page and start spamming. So i don't know if changing it would help? Would it?

Keggers: I use thunderbird. I did setup one filter that looks for ***spam*** which is nicely placed there by my host. The problem i'm having now is that a lot is getting through their filters and don't have the tag ***spam*** in them.

John Warner: I tried them ALL and now i have an "inny"

Caseyjones: Mine hasn't learned anything. I think i may have found what you were talking about though. Is this the Junk Mail Controls? What in the shit is "spam assassin" and "spam pal"?

ElysiumGX: Got to be something less confusing, no?

Edit:

Pior: I think i'm getting nailed by spam bots aswell. For example the number of emails i got in the last 24 hours was 140. Not a single one was real. Which is quite sad actually. hehe.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Oh! So that would mean that this encryption thing is working then. I use it since the day I got my .com email address (which only appears on my site, and only in encrypted form). I redirect my less secure email and that encrypted one to the same inbox, and I get like 4 spams a day max. So I suspect (and hope!) that these are hitting my not-so-safe address, and that the encrypted one remains spam-free.

But yeah all in one - if an email starts to be hit heavily by spam I don't think there is a way to revert.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    yep, I still get plenty of spam from it, but gmail's filter is so good I never really have to see it, plus I can check that email from anywhere
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I route all of my email accounts into one gmail account. Several of these are heavily spread around emails, some of them are years old, I think all of them are posted on multiple public websites. I get one piece of spam into my inbox every few weeks, sometimes. Gmail's spam filters are awesome.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I route my spamtrap email into gmail, and it works pretty well for me. Since I've started using Gmail, I have only gotten one or two spam emails in my inbox, and I've never had a legitimate email go into my spam (I do check every now and then, less than I did in the beginning though)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    good old

mail [
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Webforms can be a good method also, if you're refering to having an email addy for people to contact you. You can them have the user fill out a form with a subject line and content box. When they submit it, you could have a server side script that emails you. That will eliminate most of them.
  • Ryan Clark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    Here's what ya do:

Write a bit of javascript to print your address. Print it in two parts, so the whole address doesn't appear in the code. Email-harvesting bots don't run javascript, so they'll never see your address!

Here's an example:
    <script language="JavaScript"><!--
            address = new Array(2);
            address[0] = "<a href = 'mailto:ryan@cr";
            address[1] = "azybump.com'>";
            document.write(address[0]);
            document.write(address[1]);
        // --></script>

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18