Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low poly practice

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
After getting fed up with my total lack of progress over the last 6 months or so I decided to take it back to basics and do some low spec work. 1000 tris and a single 256 texture sheet per model.

Here is the first one that I pimped in the WAYWO thread updated and almost done.

finalci0.jpg

I'll do a female version next then maybe try some armored soldiers.

Everything is hand painted except the camo pants which I photosourced the camo pattern and then tweaked and painted over. C&C would be great.

Replies

• Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    I like everything except the pants.
    The camo doesn´t look very good the way it is now, it looks way too big for the size of the character
    and it´s very blurry.
    http://www.slygear.com/cgi-bin/image/templates/CamoDisplay-3.jpg
    The pants also look very flat and are lacking details.

I really like the way you skinned the arms tho, maybe add some of that saturated dark red to the hands and face.

Keep it up!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I think you could have gotten away with an asymmetrical face and been alright.
    I also find the camo pattern unsatisfactory. While you've done some UV stuff to avoid having an obvious mirror on the legs, you do so at the sacrifice of any other detail (lighting). I think you should just make the camo pattern much smaller & tile across a nicely rendered wrinkly pair of pants.

The symmetry on the sweat stain is very noticable.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits guys. I am working on the camo again, I wasn't too happy with it either to be honest. I'll try work in some better detail in the pants.

@ScoobyDoofus at this res symmetry is going to happen pretty much no matter what you do. I would rather have the better detailing than asymmetrical sweat. The tiling cammo pattern is a great idea and might help the symetry issue on the legs a bit so thanks for that :)

@Slaught, thanks for the ref, I'll do my best to get the pants lookin better. I am glad you like the arms :) it was one of the more difficult bits to paint. I'll work some of the red in to the rest of the model to balance it out a bit better.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, this is about the best I can do on the legs :S I made a highpoly for the legs using the same UVs, baked it down with lighting details then painted in the other details in photoshop. Long process but I like how it came out :)

finalzs7.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the level of detail I managed to squeeze in to a 256 :) C&C welcome
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Workin on the head for the female. Still very WIP on the hair and I haven't touched the neck yet.

femheded4.jpg

Going for 1k tricount for the whole thing including body and 256 for the texture again too. The head occupies 128x128 of that like with the male.
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good man!
    Keep it up. :]
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    You might want to add better defined creases to the pants and shirt, maybe add a slight texture. Maybe add a highlight and some dirt on the knees.
    I think the shadows on the upper arm are too saturated/red.

Other than that it's pretty solid.

/e the guy's mouth might be a tad too wide?
  • Carl Brannstrom
    I really like the skintone on the male soldier!

Keep it up!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, been hard to find time to work on anything lately. Little update on the female, still a lot to do. C&C welcome.

milawu9.jpg

Sitting at 1032 tris. I was going for 1k tris but the extra 32 really add to the sillouette so I've left them there. If needed I could drop it to 1k so I'm not overly worried that I blew my budget hehe.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot wires and texture sheet. Still very WIP on the textures, as you can see I have almost no definition in the clothing yet and I have a lot of seams to clean up.

texfm0.jpg
    milawqx9.jpg

The pics are all viewport grabs @ 100% self illumination.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    At that small polycount you may be able to drop some triangles from the face and/or hands and add a loop to the elbows. Does the Male marine have a double knee loop at the back?
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Rick.

No, he doesn't... I will have to add it. I only figured out recently that it needs at least the double loop. I'm not really used to working this low spec. Gotta say its fun tho.

I'll add the loop to the elbows and see if I can scrounge the tris from somewhere else.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    The females arms are too short.

I dont really like th blacks in the camo.. also Everything on your model seems to have lightening information.. except for the pants...?

anyway keep it up, looks nice :)
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the crits guys. We have been renovating our kitchen after we had a fire. So I havn't done any work for quite some time.... All good now though, if a little broke :(

Reworked the proportions, now to get the texture done. Texture is mostly just blocked out other than the head so still loads to do. This project has been a great learning experience so far :)

yttrap4.jpg
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe try giving her different pants other than camo...that way you can put some folds and other details in there. It's (folds and lighting info) looking good on the shirt .
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I have been battling with the cammo pattern for hours and can't get folds and shit into it without washing it out or otherwise totaly fucking it up... Anyone have any idea if folds in a diffuse only camo pattern are possible and if so how?
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    You could just use a tiling camo pattern like this one, and then do folds and shading on another layer. If you're a purist and want to paint it all, be sure to do so with camo ref at hand, sampling colors from it. At the moment your camo is way to dark, those big black areas really aren't working.
    Use a lighter less saturated camo, that way any wrinles/folds you do will show up nicely.

It sounds like you're trying to paint the camo and folds at the same time on the same layer?
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have tried quite a few different ways of doing it. If I do folds on a seperate layer then I end up with the camo looking a mess. Painting the folds onto the base layer itself just doesn't work. I also tried doing a plain color layer with the folds then overlaying the camo with some transparency but it wasn't showing through properly. I think I may be being a little too ambitious for a 256x256 tex sheet.

Whats in the image above was an attempted projection bake with lighting from a quick highpoly I threw together. It just won't hold up at this res though so I gotta paint the folds by hand.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I am getting somewhere now. Going to leave the pants at this for now and fix up the seams on the arms and head.

mila2wf0.jpg