Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

RazorJack

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
A character from a concept of mine that I'm currently working on in my spare time.

I'm planning to take it in to UT3. Got the character fitted to the male skeleton from the game.

The concept:
razorjack.jpg

Progress so far.
razorjack_9.jpg
razorjack_10.jpg
razorjack_11.jpg
razorjack_12.jpg
razorjack_13.jpg
razorjack_14.jpg

Replies

• Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, Is this in Zbrush or Mudbox? It looks like you nailed your concept. The only thing i can see now that might be a problem is the coat. I'm not sure how the Unreal 3 rig will deal with it.

Kind of reminds me of Mr.Crow from UT 2k4. Did those guys make it into UT3? I havent played it much. Well keep pushing the detail he could use some scratches and battle damage to his armor maybe tears in the coat. Post your low poly when you get to it.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wilex wrote: »
    Cool, Is this in Zbrush or Mudbox? It looks like you nailed your concept. The only thing i can see now that might be a problem is the coat. I'm not sure how the Unreal 3 rig will deal with it.

Kind of reminds me of Mr.Crow from UT 2k4. Did those guys make it into UT3? I havent played it much. Well keep pushing the detail he could use some scratches and battle damage to his armor maybe tears in the coat. Post your low poly when you get to it.
    Z-brush. Armor and basemesh was made in Maya 2008. Bolts n other details for the armor was made in z-brush though.

Yes' I'm also conserned how I will solve it with the coat. Hopefully I can simply make the skinning of the different parts match each other. The original game characters consist of two texturemaps which both has to have a certain layout. I really need to but the arm parts of the coat in the arm section of the map or the texture might get really unoptimised. The rest would be put in the torso. Hopefully I won't lose much details.

Found these at the UT40k homepage.
    http://www.ut40k.planetunreal.gamespy.com/unreal-Dateien/ut3tuts/UT3_Character_tutorial_1-Dateien/img08747.JPG
    http://www.ut40k.planetunreal.gamespy.com/unreal-Dateien/ut3tuts/UT3_Character_tutorial_1-Dateien/img24657.JPG

And no, they haven't kept Mr Crow, unfortunately.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Might want to re-consider the name, as this one would make just about every UT fan expect that you are remaking the weapon of the same name. :)

The coat can be done via UT3's internal cloth sim, it uses bones, so just bind the coat to a series of bones, set them to be cloth in the anim browser, and create a new physics asset for your model to ensure the cloth is taken into account properly.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias wrote: »
    Might want to re-consider the name, as this one would make just about every UT fan expect that you are remaking the weapon of the same name. :)

The coat can be done via UT3's internal cloth sim, it uses bones, so just bind the coat to a series of bones, set them to be cloth in the anim browser, and create a new physics asset for your model to ensure the cloth is taken into account properly.

Was there a weapon with that name? I guess it was that one that shoots razorblades right? =P
    Hm, that could be a problem.

Thanks for the tip! I had no idea you could do that. Do you know any tuts or something that covers the whole procedure? Do I need to have the coat as one mesh for it to work properly?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :) yeah, Razorjack was from unreal 1. It was a skarrj weapon but could be used by the player.
    Later turned into the ripper in ut and Ripjack in uc2.

no tuts have been made to my knowledge, but it should be pretty straight forward.
    The anim browser has a menu toward the bottom mentioning "cloth bones" so be sure to add the bones in your skel there.
    You can make a new physics asset by right clicking on your skeletal mesh in the generic browser and selecting "create new physics asset" from the popup menu.
    UPHyZ (the physics editor window) is pretty simple too. You can attach spheres or cubes to the bones/nodes in your model, alter their size and proportion, and constraints to eachother via either the menubar or button bar. Positioning of the pieces can be altered interactively just like in a 3d modeling program, axis display and all.

the flowing portion of the coat should be one mesh, but you can have it segmented from the rest of the coat no problem. Just look at reaper's leg/loin cloths. So long as the cloth portions are logically constrained to the body in the physics asset they don't have to physically be so in the mesh.

Really just spend a couple hours playing with the editor, checking out the existing unreal assets, and you should know all you need.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias wrote: »
    :) yeah, Razorjack was from unreal 1. It was a skarrj weapon but could be used by the player.
    Later turned into the ripper in ut and Ripjack in uc2.

no tuts have been made to my knowledge, but it should be pretty straight forward.
    The anim browser has a menu toward the bottom mentioning "cloth bones" so be sure to add the bones in your skel there.
    You can make a new physics asset by right clicking on your skeletal mesh in the generic browser and selecting "create new physics asset" from the popup menu.
    UPHyZ (the physics editor window) is pretty simple too. You can attach spheres or cubes to the bones/nodes in your model, alter their size and proportion, and constraints to eachother via either the menubar or button bar. Positioning of the pieces can be altered interactively just like in a 3d modeling program, axis display and all.

the flowing portion of the coat should be one mesh, but you can have it segmented from the rest of the coat no problem. Just look at reaper's leg/loin cloths. So long as the cloth portions are logically constrained to the body in the physics asset they don't have to physically be so in the mesh.

Really just spend a couple hours playing with the editor, checking out the existing unreal assets, and you should know all you need.

Awesome! I'll try it out when the time comes. Right now I need to get the modelling done.
    Latest update on the highpoly. ^^

razorjack_15.jpgrazorjack_16.jpg
    razorjack_17.jpgrazorjack_18.jpg
    razorjack_19.jpgrazorjack_20.jpg
    razorjack_21.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added more stuff on the legs to make them more interesting and to make the construction of the groinguard seem more reasonable. Also made slight adjustments to the face and made the clothing more flat.

Next would be simply finish everything. Specially the hat needs the most attention right now since I put the least amount of work on it.

I will probably add scratches to the shoulderpads since they are supposed to be from an ancient armor used together with newer stuff, though I got the suggestion to make scratches n such on the rest of the armor as well. I will have wear on it on the texture but I'm not sure if I really wan't cuts and such on the model. What do you people think?

razorjack_23.jpg
    razorjack_24.jpg
    razorjack_25.jpg
    razorjack_26.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New shoulderpads...
    razorjack_27.jpg
    razorjack_28.jpg
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really good and strong man. :)
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it would make it more interesting if you put scratches into the armor that way they would show up in the normal but its up to you.

I don't like the new shoulder pads the old ones were way better in my opinion, they added some interesting silhouette to the character. I don't like the design of the knee pads either they feel like something a construction worker would wear. Thats just my personal opinion.

The high detail looks like it's coming along nicely. Keep posting your progress.
  • Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Machine polycounter lvl 18
    thats a pretty nice model you have there , pretty good zbrush too , but i was wondering how did you made the armor , the shoulder and the knee pad so sharp in zbrush , ived always wanted to do something sharp like that but my skills in zbrush are not that evolved , so can you hand me some tips (tool and things youved used) :D

sorry for the bad spealing im french
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Looks very cool. Reminds me alot of this:
    250px-Chakan_cover.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Machine wrote: »
    thats a pretty nice model you have there , pretty good zbrush too , but i was wondering how did you made the armor , the shoulder and the knee pad so sharp in zbrush , ived always wanted to do something sharp like that but my skills in zbrush are not that evolved , so can you hand me some tips (tool and things youved used) :D

sorry for the bad spealing im french
    The armor parts aren't modelled in z-brush but in Maya. The only thing I did with them in z-brush was adding bolts and other details.

For making the armor I used classic subdivision modelling. I had a very lowpoly mesh on which I added double edgeloops where I wanted sharper edges when subdividing.
    Here's an old WIP pic with all the basemeshes. The armor is subdivided with the lowpoly topology drawn as curves.
    razorjack_4.jpg
    Looks very cool. Reminds me alot of this:
    250px-Chakan_cover.jpg
    I can see that. Never seen this character. Quite a coinsidence I must say. =P
    Thanks for posting it. Might give me some good reference. What striked me first was his hat. I wonder if I should have RazorJacks' hat like that.

Btw, I'm redoing the coat and candle sculpts and I'm busy with a VFX project at school so it might take a couple of days until you'll see any updates.

Cheers.
  • Machine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Machine polycounter lvl 18
    thx a lot AIM , its lighting me up!!!
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been doing some changes and added new stuff. Thinking about removing the kneepads.
    I'm currently involvede in a rather big project so I'm unsure when I might put up new updates.
    Either way, I will listen to your crits.

razorjack_29.jpgrazorjack_30.jpg
    razorjack_31.jpg
    razorjack_32.jpg
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks great, brilliant character design and you have great technique. Wish I thought of a character this cool. Looking forward to seeing it finished