Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Crits Please

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
And another one! Could you guys lend me a hand in giving me some objectiveness on my portfolio, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

http://dominicgutridge.wordpress.com/

Replies

• renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    perhaps for a real portfolio better use a gallery alike approach- right now typical blog wich is nice to show progress and progress stages. But it doesn´t work imo. so well with browsing all your portfolio works you want to provide.
    Wordpress offers xtra functionality through plugins,- some popular of them are so gallery viewers which can turn your regular blog into a gallery.

I just started myself building a blog mainly due the reason I dont post much of my progress stuff at just 1 place. I create a portfolio only twice or once a year.
  • kio
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    get rid of those pop up thingies theyre quite annoying ...

maybe im just too stupid but i cant enlarge those town environment stuff pictures.

what is the portfolio aimed for? getting a job or just a host for your works?
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    hi, its aimed at getting a job, finding it hard at the moment but I'll keep on trying and see what turns up. Think I'll try and work out how to change the layout format, thanks, the scrolling down continually thing could become a pain.
  • Mark Dygert
    Thats some really great work. I have a few tips to help sell it for all its worth.

- Start off with a beauty shot, not a construction shot. A magician wow's the crowd first and reveals his/her secrets later, backstage and only if you beg, for hours/days.

- The distillery, is awesome. Amazing style and excellently painted textures. Great work! Maybe drop the dates as, it tends to make great pieces obsolete. I honestly don't care when great pieces where done, all I need to know is that you can do it.

- The town scene. Cry2, doesn't look like it. Looks more like a driving sim used to train the highway patrol. I was a little let down after seeing the first two pieces. The attempted night/dusk shot without changing the sky was a bit of a mistake. Maybe you have ref to back this up but the town, doesn't seem to really be a town. You could take the assets you've made, break them into more modular pieces and build more buildings fairly quickly (once the pieces are there). I think your modules are not modular enough, even if the buildings themselves are well done, a module should be a piece of a building, not a building itself.

- The Witch Hunter is pretty good. The face looks to have anatomy issues, sunken cheeks, big eyes, oddly shaped lips. I would say the lighting isn't helping but its not fully to blame. The body and texture look pretty good tho. I would stay away from displaying models on a white background, go with a neutral color like gray. The problem is the more white space you have the more washed out your models become. Check out this example. See how the brown in his vest disappears when the background is white? Likewise using black will normally rob your character of a silhouette unless you use strong back/rim lighting.

- The broken building with the pipe is good, its modular, but the texture work isn't. 3x1024's is kind of wasteful and you could have unwrapped each window using one 256 and made a few variants.

I think once you wrap your head around the theory and work flow of modular design we can expect your next few pieces to be not only great looking but technically solid. Great stuff, you're definitely on the right track! Keep going!