Home General Discussion

Stupid things I do

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
I have always been afraid of screwing up and putting the windshield fluid into where the brake fluid goes. I read the container just to make sure, read it wrong, to boot and poured windshield fluid into the brake fluid. :poly115: I stopped because something seemed wrong, the container was full to where the brake fluid was supposed to be.

Now to the point. What problems can this cause me? My main concern is will my brakes fail if I do nothing about this, or will they just fail at some point whenever they feel like it. I imagine the brake fluid can be drained and flushed and new brake fluid can be added, and that will solve my problem is this true?

Feel free to laugh, but feedback besides learn to fix your car would be very helpful. Thanks.

Alex

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    hahahahahahahaha...... weeps.....

ok, seriously, don't drive your car if you can avoid it. You'll probably be able to stop a few times, but as the washer fluid works into your system, it will make it harder to stop, and eventually fail (badly). You need to syphon out as much as you can, of ALL the fluid from the resevoir. I'm not sure if that will cover it. You may need to actually disconnect the line at each wheel and drain them too. It's going to take a lot of time, work, and fluid to redo this, but you definitely don't want any of that stuff in your line.

Honestly, even if you want it professionally flushed, I wouldn't drive it there... or at least have someone go with you, and follow them in case your brakes fail.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    it would certainly take a loyal friend to let you follow them with the possibilities of your brakes shitting out and plowing into the back of them, but good luck getting this one sorted out.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    The brake fluid chamber was full to were it's supposed to be which is how I noticed that I was screwing up. The container topped off real quick. So do these fluids mix? The only thing the washer can do is contaminate the brake fluid. But I did try and get most of the fluid out with a paper towel. I doubt it will fix the issue of contamination. The fluid was in there for about a minute, since that's how long it took me to realize I screwed up. Then a min to get a paper towel and absorbed the crap out of there.

Well it sounds like my tax refund is going to fix this crap or I might as well just go and buy a new car, since I'm sick of this one already.

I did have to drive home after I did this and it was stopping fine, but I suspect it's only a matter of time.

Alex
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Drive slowly late at night with a friend following to a brake servicing shop that you've already scheduled an appointment with. The washer fluid will likely dilute your brake fluid and cause them to go mushy or something. The shop should be able to flush your brake lines and refill them with the right stuff (be sure to tell them it was washer fluid, may require extra cleaning). Expect to pay $100-200. Get it done ASAP or stay the hell off the road.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    One hundred to two hundred dollars to bleed your brakes? God damn, just buy $10 of DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid (or whatever your car's manual specifies) and do it yourself. Bleeding your brakes requires two people, but it's not that difficult. Actually, it doesn't even really require two people, it's just easier that way.

Your brake calipers have a little bolt on them that you loosen to drain the fluid. Just loosen the one furthest from the driver's position (right-rear wheel), put a coffee can under the valve to catch the fluid, and then start pumping the brakes until no more fluid comes out. Then start adding the new fluid to the reservoir and pump the brakes some more until you see fluid start to come out again (once you start adding the new fluid, just make sure the reservoir stays full because you don't want air in the line... keep adding more fluid after every couple pumps of the brake pedal). Once you see fluid squirting out, close the valve by tightening the bolt. Then do the same thing to each corner, working your way towards the driver's position (so next would be the left-rear corner, then the right-front corner, and finally the left-front corner).

I've only ever done it on a truck with plenty of ground clearance, so we didn't have to jack it up or anything, we just crawled underneath. With a car you'd probably have to jack up the corner you're working and remove the wheel to get access, which would take a bit more time, but not any more difficult than changing a tire... definitely worth the effort if it saves you a couple hundred.

[edit] Check your car's manual, it might have a section on the procedure for bleeding the brake system. It's the type of thing a manual should have, but now a days car manuals usually just have brain-dead safety stuff like "the trunk is not intended for passengers" or "keep limbs inside the moving vehicle at all times," and real maintenance stuff is usually limited to "take your car to the nearest dealer for service." Bah.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keyser, it's not just bleeding, it's flushing the lines; and brake bleeding is a one-man job as well. I did the brakes on the Barracuda by myself with the help of a little bottle / magnet / hose set up I picked up at Pep Boys.

Again, though, for adding a completely different fluid to the lines (not to mention one that'll break down and much lower temps than brake fluid), I'd highly recommended getting the lines flushed.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I would definitely go check up the manual...for ways tu troubleshoot it yourself...

If it was...wonder if you can get warranty ???
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    It's pretty standard what mechanics charge these days, 80 to 100 an hour plus parts. So I'm kind of expecting it to be close 200 usd, which blows but whatever. I'll be draining as much brake fluid as I can and replacing it tomorrow then I'll be going to a place that deals with that and have them flush out the brake system and refill. I might get the oil changed while I'm at it.

The biggest thing with doing it myself would be how to dispose of the brake fluid in a legal way, the same deal goes with flushing it. There is probably some fee I have to pay so I don't the see point of going through the hassle considering I don't have the tools to do this safely. If I had a lift I would do it myself but I don't. Also I don't want to worry if I did it right or not. Taking off the tires and doing whatever if that's required is fairly easy to do once you have the car in the air and don't have to worry about it falling on your head. The days of fixing your car yourself are long gone. I don't mind getting my hands dirty but I need the thing to work and be safe. Since I know I don't have the training to do something about it I'll just bite the bullet and take it to a shop wait a few hour, then see my money go away and move on.

Thanks for the feedback. Later.

Flaagan but life is short so I drive really fast.... Just make a lame joke here. How is your Barricuda coming along?

Alex
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Barracuda's coming along good. Dealing with a bunch of electrical gremlins at the moment before I can try and get it to fire up.

As far as getting rid of fluids, 'round here we're able to leave a jug out with the weekly recycle, or take 'em to a local recycle facility if it's more caustic or dangerous stuff.

I would probably have agreed with Keyser about doin the whole job yourself and not worrying about it if it was some other high-temp fluid (transmission oil, engine oil, etc), but since it's wiper fluid, it's something that could potentially damage the brake line gaskets and whatnot if not properly cleaned out.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Well I took the car to the shop and the guy told me that they would have to replace the entire brake system because they couldn't bleed the brakes because the screws would not turn due to the car being so old and if they tried the part would break. Also the car brakes in the back were in bad shape so even if I had not poured fluid into the container the car would not pass inspection and I would still have to replace the the entire brake system to get it to pass inspection. To fix it it would cost 2000 bucks and the car isn't worth it. He said that once the washer fluid got in the system it would get absorb by the hoses, gaskets so flushing it wouldn't be enough and it all had to be replaced.

I cleaned out the car and I'm wondering if the guy was trying to rip me off. I'll be calling a place to pick it up and junk it.

Alex
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    can you get a second opinion maybe? unlucky man :/
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Get a second opinion, that sounds like a classic mechanic's attempt to jack up the price.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: »
    Get a second opinion, that sounds like a classic mechanic's attempt to jack up the price.

I second that. Also may not hurt to take it to a stealer... uh.. er.. dealership and see what their show has to say about it. If you keep hearing the same thing... maybe it is time to get rid of it and get a better ride.