Home General Discussion

QuakeCon 2008

Rik
As I paged through the archives here at polycount, I noticed that there were posts for the last two QuakeCon events.
QuakeCon is the current convention being produced by The QuakeCon Organization. First and foremost, QuakeCon is a huge LAN party dedicated to fans of id Software's games (i.e., Quake, Quake 2, and Quake III Arena, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Enemy Territory, and the DOOM series). We also hold workshops and roundtables where id Software employees discuss their games, technology, and their thoughts about the gaming industry. Other people and companies from the gaming community also participate in the workshops and roundtables while displaying their upcoming games and hardware. QuakeCon also hosts tournaments, large and small. Basically, it's an enormous LAN party with a lot of other stuff to do in-between death matching with people from all over the world! Read more about the purpose and history of The QuakeCon Organization in our About section.

I stole the above quote from QuakeCon.org 's FAQ section.

For anyone who has not attended, it is once again being held at the Hilton Anatole Hotel in Dallas, TX. Every year there is a Key Note by iD founder John Carmack, and as stated above, there are a lot of GREAT workshops and lectures. Last year's workshop on dynamic texture rendering for the then-not released Enemy Territory:Quake Wars was amazing. With so many games that are either in production or about to be released, I'm quite excited. Announcement of Doom 4, Quake Live and other games on the way.

If you have the opportunity to attend even one of the workshops, you're getting a LOT of in depth information and skills from one of the best game development companies out there (IMHO of course)

It's free, there are 3000+ people synced up on one massive LAN for p2p sharing and lots of game play (must register and select to bring your own computer (BYOC) but don't have to bring a computer to attend.

Definitely check it out, especially if you're in the Dallas area.