Homeโ€บ General Discussion

Iron Man

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
So I just got back from watching the new Iron Man movie and I gotta say: not bad at all. Had the action moments, plus lots of good Downey Jr. moments. Overall, I'd say its worth checking out. Not that you weren't going to.

Oh yeah, stay til after the credits. Thats also worth it.

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah lots of great moments, and the visuals weren't too shabby either! Heck of a fun movie, :-) and the Warmachine reference was great.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    The studio is taking us out to see it tomorrow. It looks awesome :)
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    just got home from seeing it. wish I knew about staying after the credits though :(

The Stan Lee appearance I am really getting sick of. Other than that, I really enjoyed the movie.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Best superhero movie hands down. Downey Jr has so much character.

Best visuals too. What happens after the credits?!
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Can't wait to check this out. We're going tomorrow.

I'm super suprised at how well it's done critically as well, 96% on the tomatoe meter. :|
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Best superhero movie yet.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Absolutely loved it.

No one can deliver funny oneliners like Robert Downey Jr.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    That was a blast. I will see this at least 1 more time in the theaters.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    For those who've seen it, should I take my kids with me? The violence isn't a big deal as long as it isn't extremely gory, but I want to make sure there aren't any sex scenes. I don't want the Transformers revisited (talking about masturbation and wanting to 'ride her home'. I really want to check out this flick this weekend, and I think my kids would like it too.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    notman wrote: ยป
    For those who've seen it, should I take my kids with me? The violence isn't a big deal as long as it isn't extremely gory, but I want to make sure there aren't any sex scenes. I don't want the Transformers revisited (talking about masturbation and wanting to 'ride her home'. I really want to check out this flick this weekend, and I think my kids would like it too.

You'll be fine. There is some sexual innuendo, but nothing that would harm a kid. There is also like a 10 second makeout scene that shows nothing. The violence isn't gory.

By the way, I can't get over how awesome this movie was. I really want to go see it again in theaters (I've never seen a movie twice in theaters... ever).
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Woot!
    Kicked booty.
    Has me totally pumped about the potential of an Avengers movie...
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    just saw it again. once this morning with the company im working for and once this afternoon because my roommate paid for me.

twice free in 1 day! woot!
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Good, good & great. That is all.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    That movie was pure awesome, and as Orph mentioned in irc, the pacing was spot on.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Probably the best compositing I've seen in a movie like that in ages. I really digged it.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Best comic movie evar.
    And after the credits is pure awesome. :D
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    If awesome could be distilled into a movie, Iron Man is what it would be
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    WTF happened after the credits?!?!!?

D:
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I thought the climax was a little weak. I expected more of a rush, but as a whole, the movie was very solid.

and sonic... poor poor sonic.

lets just say it involved Nick Fury, and mention of Avengers. And Samuel L Jackson. As Nick Fury.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    notman wrote: ยป

Thousands of illigal law breaking resedence bring there children to R movies daily, i don't think you'll be the only one taking your kids to a movie you question.

No offence to anyone here who might do that sort of thing.
  • Quaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
    Thousands of illigal law breaking resedence bring there children to R movies daily, i don't think you'll be the only one taking your kids to a movie you question.

Its not against the law to bring a child to an R-rated movie, if thats what you're saying. an R rating means that anyone under 17 must be accompanied by an adult to see the movie.

Also, im hoping to go see this movie in the next week, and reading all this just makes me more excited about it.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18

He was wondering what the level of violence/sex was so that he could personally decide whether or not his kid could go. He wasn't asking if he could break the law.

What the hell is your problem dude? No one needs your preachy bullshit. It's not even illegal to take a child to an R movie, just an NC-17.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Being a huge steampunk, I basically creamed my pants when Stark built the MK I. All the other technology in the movie was so much fun--not realistic obviously but that's not the point. The whole thing was just an immense pleasure to watch and I can't wait for the next one. Brilliant!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very awesome movie. Really nice effects, great pacing, and good acting too. Plenty of funny parts, emotional parts, and blasting action parts, all in a nice balance.

I was pretty surprised that Jon Favreau directed it. I basically only associate him with the annoying "comic relief" sidekick guy in Daredevil, but I guess he's actually a pretty good director and producer too!

Oh, and props to Adi Granov for getting the role of suit designer, that stuff was just awesome. I'd hate to have been the animators setting up that suit with all the moving parts... mad! :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man. i went to see the movie tonight as well. really awesome movie! enjoyed it very much. oh. and for those who might go and see it, wait for after the credits, for some nice stuff :)
    I was not saying it is illegal to bring a child to a movie . I was saying "illegal" American residence bring there children to inapropriate films all the time. I was making a political joke sort of. I me t no offence. I think I shuold have reworded how I wrote that last post. Sorry.

Movie was best super hero movie yet.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    easily my favorite Marvel movie.

would happily watch it again in the theatre
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Candy for my eyes!

For someone watching this movies progress from day one i have to say very well done!!!

I can't wait for may of 2010!

^ ironman 2
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    after credits clip for those who missed it

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR6zOyj7QXs[/ame]
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn good flick. I agree, it's the best comic book based flick I've seen. It's up there on my list of favorite flicks now too.
    Watching the trailers, I was a bit concerned about the acting. I like Robert Downey, but in the trailers, some of his lines sounded unemotional and poorly delivered. That definitely wasn't the case once I saw everything in between those lines :)

My kids loved it. They instantly wanted to see it again. Thanks for the info about the content guys. I can't explain how pissed I was about the Transformers movie when they kept doing the unneccesary, awkward, puberty shit while watching that movie with my kids.
    Has anyone seen a weekend gross number for the movie? I'm curious how well its done over the weekend. Yahoo usualy does it on sunday mornings but so far nothing. :(
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7164

$201M worldwide
    $104.2 million since debuting Thursday night domestically
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really really enjoyed watching this one, it was just plain fun.

the dude who did the concept art for the suit posted on Conceptart.org :Dhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124921
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i vote it best comic movie, i woulda liked it to be a tad bit longer, i woulda liked one more outing of the IM in his prime before the fight with the big boss in his weakened state.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Keg wrote: ยป
    The Stan Lee appearance I am really getting sick of. Other than that, I really enjoyed the movie.

I think they might be feeling the joke's age too. This time he sorta just slipped by. Next time, maybe he won't show up at all. I have great affection for Stan Lee but approve of tired jokes being allowed to die.

I loved the movie. It was a thrill to watch. The awesome little fiddly mechanical animations, especially in the suit's power-up cycle, made my animatin' fingers twitch. The motion of Evil Iron Man was lovely too -- "thunderously thumpy" were the words that sprang to mind as I watched it stomping around. I've been in a seriously uninspired funk, so this stuff was very much appreciated.

And shit! Who knew Robert Downey Jr. didn't suck? My girlfriend informed me that girls have known this for years, but I had no idea. Huh.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Woohoo, what a great film! The after the credits part was so awesome. There's a bit in the original Ultimates run (the Avengers 'reboot' in the Ultimates universe) that has some of the characters sitting around and casting themselves in a movie. Nick Fury picks Sam Jackson to play him in a film, making this the best comic-to-film homage ever. And how great was Jeff Bridges? When I heard about that casting, I just couldn't imagine 'The Dude' being a badass like Obadiah Stane. Nope, he totally f'ing nailed it, he was actually kinda scary! Totally totally loved the film, I've already taken my girl along for my second viewing and think I'll have to schedule a third one for later this week.

Marvel Studios might be the best thing Marvel has done in the last 30 years. Dropping the line about the Avengers initiative in Iron Man, and rumors that Robert Downey Jr has a Tony Stark cameo in Incredible Hulk... if Marvel keeps all their properties in house and can weave the stories together, we might actually see an Avengers/Ultimates flick with all the main actors from the original characters films. I get geek overload just thinking about it - bring on Thor and Cap!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7165

"Ironman 2 scheduled for April 30, 2010"
    "Thor is set for a release on June 4, 2010"
    "The First Avenger: Captain America (the working title) will kick off the summer of 2011 on May 6"
    "The Avengers scheduled for July 2011"

"...Iron Man 2 will be used to introduce Thor."

they are still waiting to see how hulk does so they can plan out hulk 2.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Im interested to see how they do Thor.
    I heard they were gonna ge Lucius Veranus From Rome to play Thor.
    That would be awesome.
    Checked the IMDB:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0571727/

Kevin Mckidd FTW.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    we saw Ironman this weekend, for knowing nothing about the character or the comic book the story, visuals, and character development was exceedingly well done. I'd say it was in the same caliber as Batman Begins.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope hes playing Donald Blake, not thor himself. Thor needs to be a very big, buff and imposing guy. Kevin is an awesome actor but i would have a hard time seeing him as a norse man.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Mckidd FTW.
    Oooh awesome pick. Thor does NOT need an introduction. Que Iron Maiden, commence head banging. Haven't seen Iron Man yet, going today after work, can't wait.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Iron Man Was Awesome!
    so not to derail the thread. :)

But back to Thor, I Just hope they don't cast some WWE Dude. There has been a few people saying they want sombody like Triple H to play Thor, and I think that's just really sad.
    Kevin Mckidd is a great actor. Get him a personal Trainer, done.
    Give Triple H acting lessons, Yikes.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If Kevin can gain 100 pounds of muscle then sure! If not then i'm sure there are a few large Scandinavian actors that could play the part of thor. The guy from gladiator comes to mind, Ralf Moeller i bet he would love to play that part.
    As for WWE "actors" yeah no thanks.

BTW the ten rings in shield references in ironman was a very nice little plot device. I can't wait to see what they do with shield in the next movie. I'm really hoping he builds them some heli carriers.
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    I pretty much second absolutely everything Vermillion said. Iron Man was friggin awesome, and I can't wait for all of these movies to pan out. I felt so wonderfully geeky during Iron Man, and I actually felt true nostalgia for my younger days when I first read the comic.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Iron Man sounds great...

I think muscle mass is an acceptable loss when converting comics to live action. Sure Thor needs to be ripped but he doesn't need to be WWE over the top. Sure I like my God of Thunder with a heaping helping of Muscle. But I think Christian Bale is a perfect example of acting over brawn winning the audience over.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Went to see it this afternoon. My conclusion: Lots of cool factor (Great effects and that suit was just awesome) but very little substance. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the film but I didn't think it was anything special amongst the myriad super hero movies that are currently bombarding the cinemas. This coming from someone who went into the film knowing next to nothing about the Iron Man universe (Yes I am a comic book philistine).
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Incredible Hulk has a long way to go to overcome the disappointment of the first one. I don't think it will do well just because the sour taste of the first one is still in people's mouths. I want to see it, but I'm in no hurry to catch it at the theaters. I like Edward Norton, which is probably the only reason I'm considering giving it a view.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I'm pretty geeked about Hulk, can't hold the previous one against it. You wouldn't want to miss Batman Begins because the Batman & Robin sucked ass, right? Marvel seems to have put a lot of thought into planning their upcoming franchise films (at least the Avengers-related flicks under their control), so I'm optimistic. The raw material for a great film is there, and with all new creative people so the crappy Ang Lee film shouldn't be a factor. If it's anything like Iron Man, I think people will go to see it.