Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

orc bust

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
I'm enrolled in an advanced character class at Gnomon School of VFS where we have to model texture and render a creature every 2 weeks for 10 weeks. The first assignment was a "warm up" where we were instructed to create a bust. We are not allowed to use our own concept work (to simulate a working environment) so I chose one by Aleksi Briclot. Here's what came out:

http://www.rapture-art.com/other_forum_pics/alex_class/orc_rot.mov [turn table]
http://www.rapture-art.com/other_forum_pics/alex_class/orc_scream.mov [animation]

The mesh is a mess due to the time constraints, but I was thinking about re-meshing to create a low poly game mesh. I'm struggling to get a whole character modeled and textured for the next assignment (the model is done, but only have a week to texture + render) so we will see if I can dig up some time to do that.

crits / comments more than welcome :)

Replies

• Johan Carlsson
    I guess he's Lotr inspired?
    Either way, really nice job :) I like the dried blood ^^ Though the turntable one gives me a bit of a latex mask feeling to it. The ears are really cool, but I think the rest of the skin looks a little too much like a latex mask.
    But other than that, really cool! :)
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty cool stuff. The animation is quite nice, although the ear twitch near the end seems a little odd to me. Secondary motion on the armour is fairly cool.
    The sculpt and textures you've done seem a bit blurry and under-detailed, but I guess it's not too bad considering the time constraints. He also seems very shiny.

Overall pretty cool though, I will be interested to see what you do for the 5th 2-week project, and how much better it will be - this sounds like a good way to really push yourself and improve rapidly.
  • TheSplash
    Quite a nice piece, i like the armour design quite a bit.
    The main thing that stands out to me is the SSS as areas are translucent that shouldn't be, which gives it the latex mask Johan described.
    Perhaps you could make a greyscale SSS mask to control that better.

What did you use to render?
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    thanks for the crits guys :)

I used maya/ mental ray / Zbrush for the whole project. Yeah I totally agree -- I need to make a map to help the SSS effect. I am excited about my last piece as well -- this is totally helping me to develop my skills.