Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Website & Demoreel up!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
soulstice polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, I just recently finish my gaming program at school. I've thrown together a simple website for my portfolio. Would love to hear some of you're comments and critique.

Here are samples of some of my work:

http://www.polyninja.com

Furius.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg

Replies

• jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,
    Your stuff seems pretty good, i'm no expert so no crits from me.

I have a minor crit about the site though. The small thumbnail 2d images don't give the feedback of the hand mousepointer. Which might imply to the visitor that they aren't clickable, which you don't want. You might have done it on purpose but i recommend changing it back anyway :)

GL, Jerry.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Nice work, I think the reel size is too small, but you did because of file size. You really need to get images that show off your model on your site since that is more important than have a reel. Show texture, page, wireframe, etc. You know the drill. I think that is the only thing missing. If you have time re render your reel so there is no wierd motion, right now the turn table slighty offsets and it's seems like a mistake. Nice work.

Alex
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Jerry: Ah good call, I didn't realize that until I looked closer. Fixed it. Thanks!

Sage: Hey dude, im a bit confused. I have images that show my renders/wireframes/flats & textures on the site. Did you click on the models by any chance? Let me know, and thanks! =)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I REALLY like the Motel, great style, but the scale on the fire escape(s) seems kind of off compared to the open door in the lower left.

Hawk seems kind of rough when sandwiched between the other pieces.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Heh, i guess not. I guess the lack of sleep is getting to me. Looks good. I probably didn't click on them because the thumbsnail were pretty big, but it's probably a lack of sleep thing. I would fix the header image of your page though. Integrate the character image more, since right now the header is eating a bit of real estate of the site which isn't an issue at the moment but can be as you add more thumbnails. Right now because of how I have my browser window set up I have to scroll down a little to see your entire site. Right now it the placement of the image looks a little like when you insert and image in Word and it just bumps the text all the way down and doesn't follow any formating, that's kind of what your header reminds me off at the moment. I would also keep all the colors of the text the same the dark bronze color you have for demo real and resume. I would also increase the contrast a little for that color because it blends to much into the background, just a little so it's easier to read when you don't have your mouse over it. Get rid of the counter on the bottom of the page, although in this case it looks kind of cool.

Alex
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work, especially for a student reel. I would maybe consider cutting Hawk since he seems the weakest of the lot. Did you create hirez models to generate your normals ? If so, I would consider tossing in some renders of the high rez models or if you created the normals in PS, maybe consider showing your bump maps.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    nice stuff :) some comments:

- I was told a long time ago that music in demo reels should be very low key. 9 times out of 10 the person watching it will not think your music is cool. Its pessimistic, but i dunno. didnt bother me too much until the end :)

- i wouldnt bother putting animated models in there unless its #()*$#)( awesome animation with your models. Right now, it looks like a modeller animation, not a modeller who can animate. It isn't "all" bad its in there, but at the same time it hurts the quality a little because the animation isn't up to the quality level of the models. Rotation is ok, but not the breathing, foot moving, head moving stuff.

- cant read phone numbers at the end due to low resolution and outline font, and the section titles are very hard to read. go bold, make sure people can see it, not fight with the background to try to read it.