Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

finally finished the "goth" girl

dabu
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dabu polycounter lvl 18
I would say she came out more burlesque than goth.

So it goes. Next up, learning to rig. The textures still need some minor refinement, and for some reason, OSX desaturates the hell out of my colors when I screen shot using the finder. Not sure the best way around, may have to do final grabs in windows. Very frustrating.

The comb could go, I'm neutral.

Otherwise, I had a blast learning to paint hair using Poops tut. Sitting around 5900 tris, I indulge.

24.jpg
26.jpg
25.jpg

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    looks like her tattoo doesn't continue beneath her corset?

also, is this at fullbright? looks like it could do with some additional shading, maybe a light AO bake.

looks real nice, though!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    looks great! she looks very bored though ;). texturing is very nice, but as suggested maybe add some subtle shadows in.
    keep it up!
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    That's what you get for using Mac! Serves you right o_O

But anyway, I'd hit that, nice teetays.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    nice texture man
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    can't wait to see her posed. Looking good!
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the kind words yall. I did do an AO pass on her, but I had a hard time getting the values I wanted, and opted to hand paint my shadows in instead. I made the back tat a little larger, I liked it protruding under the edge of the corset, but I didn't want the laces to make it too busy. Also added some more shading around the edge of the hair and lost the comb.

The colors are actually much more vibrant, Ill post textures so you can see. Its the stupid .png files that OSX spits out that are all greyed out. Im glad you like the boobies, I spent way too much time on them.

added a curves adjustment to try to bring the colors and contrast back up. grrr.

27.jpg
    28.jpg
    29.jpg
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I would have used way less texture res for the eye and painted the shadow/spec on an alpha plane over the eyeball instead of something that will move with the eye, thus look awkward once animated.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, that would make a lot more sense.

easily fixed.

Anything else stand out to you?
  • Legopirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it, Good work.

But one thing I noticed that stands out is the braided hair. It's very loose and stretched at the top and could use some work. I think overall the braid should be pretty consistent with it being a bit looser up top and tighter at the bottom.

I found a picture that might not help.
    4463_small.jpg
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice texture job man, i really like the style... so casual, if that makes any sense. By the size of your texture i think you have some room to play around with the skin texture, seems a little to smooth right now imo. There is also a weird lookin shade at the top of her forehead. Overall great piece, i lovz it!
  • Johan Carlsson
    Nicely done :)
    And about the braid, imo it looks just fine being a loose braid. Suits her better. Not everyone braids their hair in the same way :)
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, that pic threw me off. I think I'll leave the hair as is. Turned the teeth off for now. I'm just tweaking with rigging now. Mostly painting weights, real learning experience for me. I changed design direction a lot after I started texturing, which is a horrible idea. Hence tons of empty UV space.

I got her into a passable pose, but the arse looks horrible.

30.jpg
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    She's looking a lot better. Her stomach appears to be a different color than her shoulders/chest though.
    Also, her fingers look REALLY long, but it's hard to tell because they sort of blend with her skirt. It make it look like her hand is as long as her forearm.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    GJ man. I think I remember your original reference for this one, and you've come pretty close with the likeness.

Just a small thing - you may want to tone down the edge highlights on the metal of the boots on those edges which wouldn't catch a downward light. It's something I used to do a lot myself, and it helps separate the different materials, but overall consistancy in lighting is probably more important.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    hope you don't mind me giving you a qucik paintover on the face. I reduced the size of the head slightly also

30a.jpg
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    My only crit would be that I have a hard time distinguishing the hands from her skirt. Perhaps you could make the gloves a bit darker or change her stance?
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    i'm all for rigging but if u can get a better pose from moving verts, that may be a way to go for a more dynamic or appealing pose. theres no point in rigging if you can't really pose her well. i also agree that her face could use some tweaking like the paintover ruz did...she looks a tad manly with her jaw being so square...even rounding that out would help a lot. but i def dig the texture...good execution!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz wrote: »
    hope you don't mind me giving you a qucik paintover on the face. I reduced the size of the head slightly also

30a.jpg
    qft
  • yeluis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeluis polycounter lvl 17
    awesome.very cool. nice and clean model and textures. only thing is that when her hands are over her skirt they get lost, maybe some more highlight to the gloves to pull them on front, or maybe just a lighter hue on it?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    make the gloves fingerless, and they should stand out better.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Ruz, that paintover is awesome. Thank you. I tweaked the chin and jawline and shrunk the head.

Originally, this started out as a likeness, and my model had a very uniquely shaped face. Ive abandoned that and just want her to look attractive, since I failed to capture the qualities of my model.

The color is definitely off between the stomach and the rest of the body, originally I was going to have that area covered, and I quickly threw in some skin tone to make it work. I will fix.

Shrank the hands slightly too, to match the newly shrunk head. I hear you guys on the gloves, I will try a slight hue shift. If that doesn't work, they are going fingerless.

Thanks for keeping me on my toes, what this forum is all about. I get to re rig too, yay. Stay tuned.

31.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    thats definitely a lot better. I still think the nose should be a tad smaller and perhaps the distance between top lip and nose is a bit much.
    also i would widen the face just slightly
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    A wider nose is more common in african americans, and since your character is not, I would suggest narrowing the nose.

Good model though, i love the texture work.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She reminds me of Jessica Corbin:

hero_jessicacorbin.jpg
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Alright well, I'm re rigging this next week, with the changes mentioned here, stay tuned...

Jessica Corbin is Hott.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu wrote: »
    Jessica Corbin is Hott.

Agreed, although her personality can be annoying at times ;)
  • Dan Burke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice...strikes me more as more Asian hooker than goth tho. I would suggest fingerless gloves, holes in the fishnets and some color in the hair, goth style...but there are many ways to dress goth, admittedly. The jaw changes you made look much better. Also, as a style note, goth girls tend to have some cute irony going on...like a Hello Kitty t-shirt or something...perhaps some band advertisement. The eye makeup definitely screams 'hooker' to me rather than goth too...I think it's because it's old-skool blue rather than black eyeliner and whatever else goth chicks use.

Solid work overall though. :)