Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

website season (my website)

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
sprunghunt polycounter
I recently set up this website using the instructions from here and game art from games I've worked on.

http://dankeating.wordpress.com/

does anyone have any tips on improving it? what would people like to see?

Replies

• Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    the wordpress popup preview of the next page (when I mouse over a thumbnail) is annoying, but the overal layout & content is good.

Resume is good, but you should provide links to a PDF & a DOC version of it.

Good stuff man.
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I loved that whale at the start of bioshock :D so epic. Nice Job
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Quick fix: take out the text that says that the comments are closed. That text doesn't really need to be at the bottom of all your pages with large versions of images, even more so since it states three times in a row that the comments are closed.

One thing that is confusing is why you named the category images if you are posting work in progress and tips n' tricks in it (and also why is it the only category whose name wasn't capitalized?).

The layout of the pages is a little strange also, and might work for a blog, but for portfolio it falls a little short. For instance, when I'm viewing your images, then the menu with links to other categories goes down on the bottom, and there's no link to go back to thumbnails. With some of the wordpress sidebar widgets I think you'll find many other cool ways to put the links together in a sidebar without losing them out of sight on your posts/pages. I'm hoping wordpress will let you hack the themes when you host with them, cause that's the coolest thing about wordpress - how customizable it is and how easy it is to turn it into whatever you want.

Otherwise, it looks good, you got solid work there.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    haha nice work on the bioshock stuff, I was just playing that bit with the bees and the smoke fogger and looked at that control and wondered why the switch doesnt pull down when its such a cool little model. Can you put a space between the image thumbnails or a border or something? they look a bit odd butted up against eachother
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    Agreed. Seeing the whale swimming through that area was awesome. It helped give a great sense of scale to the overall massive size of Rapture. Such a great game, one of my all time favs.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    It's cool, the thumbnail thing bothers the hell out of me. Otherwise I think it's a great simple portfolio. Nice, easy to navigate, etc.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I like it.

You could clean it up by putting your contact info on the main page and resume link a the top. I did not notice all the extra links at the bottom of your page at first, so putting important details as the top would be a great benefit.

Also, texture the personal work, shouldn't take too long and they'll look a LOT better.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Thanks for all the tips - lots of good stuff here. I'll give it a bit of a cleanup on the weekend...