Home Digital Sketchbooks

sketchbook: jouste

Replies

• jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    @rollin: woot! thansk for the boost pal!

@conte: glad to hear you dig the chars! i've been loving your stuff as well conte my man.

@jackwhat: haha, i'm glad you can see a "gaze" in that hollow face of his. if i took him any further it would be a character sheet and probably an axe detail.

so its been a little while but here's fistface the star fencer! being part of an elite sect of space swordsman is hard enough, but the extensive training it takes to wield a rocket blade would make anyone cry like david schwimmer.

wielding a rocket blade is like fighting with a regular sword that is constantly trying to rocket off. once this amazing power is harnessed and in a professional's hands, they can parry pretty much anything, including but not limited to insults and laser blasts. a star fencer can also send it soaring towards foes with perfect aim.

fistfacer.jpg
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    golly look here! its apocalypse chow!

apocalypse chow is a chow chow dog that forges the end of the world on his anvil-geddon. standing atop a mountain of skulls, apocalypse chow hammers out death and destruction to all the worlds in the universe.

being a doom-smith is pretty crummy work. spending day after day forging plagues and locusts, and new nicolas cage movies, it really brings a guy down.

apocalypse_chow.jpg
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when the dangerous coastal duels commence there is one snailien that slides above all challengers! its sam "slaughtersand" cargo, one of the meanest combat crustaceans in the galaxy.

he wields a cruel escargot fork that he uses to shred and stab his foes apart before eating their remains in a disgustingly foul victory feast.

we also see here are his side-snails. side-snails are holstered to sam's side's much like a cowboy's revolvers. when he feels he needs a little more edge in a battle he tosses them down and they spring into action. we can see that wibley is on the ground in this picture brandishing a mean looking prawn fork.

side-snails are great additions to a snalien's arsnenal, but the more you have the more you need to feed, so the more you have to duel. plus there have been rare cases of side-snails getting so big and strong from all the victory feasts that they end up challenging and killing thier owners and taking over thier titles.

samcargo.jpg
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    It's all so loverly...I'm especially fond of the expression on slaughtersand's face. The ideas you have in your head, sir, wig me out in the greatest of ways. Keep it up!
  • Canden Picard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I loled at the nautilus with the shrmp on a fork ha!
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @em.: awesome! glad i wig you out pal. i originally drew him with lower teeth but he didn't look ridiculous enough so i had to fix that quickly.

@canden picard:
    thats great! always good to hear i got a laugh. thanks for dropping by!

so i drew up "topper waistdown the space ranger" he's got some sweet tech. he can flip a switch on his fore-arm device and "top" off countless of different monsters. in this picture we see him standing there and also becoming a blue skinned spine-beast from the waist down.

he's also been coined "the neck" among his platoon of space rangers as he generally becomes the neck of the creature he becomes.

what is actually happening is he is swapping legs with countless comatose aliens and monsters in a far off lab in large tubes. scientists, drugs, and massive amounts of shock treatment keep the aliens supple and flexible for topper's crazy adventures.

ZOT!!

topper_01.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice seriously reminds me of The Flea though, think its the head/eyes/expression
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Dig the snailien, the side-snail Wibley....lol awsome, with that shrimp on the fork!
    Keep the imagination driven pen rollin'
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @shepeiro: are you meaning the tick? yeah i 'spose he does look like him. good eye. i was a big fan of that cartoon and i looove ben edlund.

@slingshot: that i shall! glad you dig wibley the side snail! those are going to be taken a little further as a friend of mine has taken a liking to them as well and is beefing up their backstory.

i did a character trade with a friend of mine on deviant art. he's pretty funny and draws a bunch of cartoony stuff and rocks the steam account quite hard from what i've gathered.

here's the original, the dudes at the top caught my eye so i combined them into one plaguespread marine and made him chase down a mouse cause he's super hungry.

kept it quick and clean (by my standards) tons of fun when working on something that's roughly established).

pmarine.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    aye the tick- that last ones ace
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    how simple and light yet soooo cool!
    seems like you've got tons of fun, while doing em- niice.
    keep playing, dood.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @shepeiro: thanks man! :D

@conte: you know i will dude! and i do have a ton of fun drawing these, i think it's VERY important to have fun when working on your own stuff. i think it really shows in the piece when you had fun as opposed to forcing it.

so i've been staying up late and watching bravestarr with the girl. this show was awesome. sci-fi sherrifs and ghoulish zombie outlaws. all with a great moral at the end of the show.

you want to know how awesome this cartoon from 87 is? there was a drug episode where one of the kids gets addicted to this "spin" drug. it makes him hallucinate and steal money from his mom for another hit. at the end of the episode the kid DIES OF AN OVERDOSE, not "oh i sure learned my lesson marshall, no more drugs for me!" the kid dies. this show did not mess around.

episodes had robot snakes, giant sand crabs, and techno horses that could go from quadraped to biped with a bolt of lightening.

the show had its flaws sure, like super annoying "prarie people" that talk like cow from cow & chicken.

so i decided to do a bit of fan art that was inspired from this awesome show. there was an episode when the main antagonist gets fired momentarily and they bring this new guy called morabond in for the badguys. he's totally badass and has a rocket crossbow that fires bolts that change into robot snakes and can steal suns.

its probably just nostalgia but i really dug the bold uses of color the late 80's as far as character design goes.

i tweaked him a bit for fun. here he is talking to a robot snake that stole his knife.

morabond.jpg
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a quick lunchtime sketch i threw some colors on at home. whenever its a rough idea i tend to do em up quick-like to see if they hold any weight or are worth a revamp.

so its dead fred: the killuminum slave! and idea for another "rest in space" character.

dead fred used to be a regular space patrol man, until a meteorite of pure killuminum smashed into his ship, killing him slowly and painfully due to the meteor countermeasures attempting to maintain life aboard the ship.

so fred died eventually (and in quite the foul mood it should be added) but the killuminum went to work on his corpse the second the last shred of life left poor fred.

now killuminum is a crazy metal i totally made up. it resurrects the dead no matter what state they are in and it probably shoots lightning blasts or something as well. usually the metal is broken down into manageable slivers that can be activated by firing a current through them, but a piece this large has no such "off switch".
    another problem is that re-animated corpses are very selfish and hold killuminum in very high regard. so poor fred needs to protect his chunk of metal from all the grabby space zombies that lust after it!

luckily the killuminum has probably granted dead fred some cool powers and abilities to help ward off the moaning fans but he is constantly bringing things back to life just by being near them.

killuminum is also used for forging space-necromancer harvester ships and beer coasters, but a chunk of killuminum this huge is bound to attract some treasure hunters. keep at it fred! we're rooting for you!

p.s. and i know you guys are probably all like "i bet the chunk of metal is like sentient or something..." but it totally isn't cause that would be silly.

killuminum.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @conte: right back at you pal. lets get some sketch trades going already!

stayed in my comfort zone again for a re-visit to one of my familiar dudes.

jack asstronaught, the most badass smart as in the galaxy! working on a variation of his armor. i wanted to stray away from my more generic space armor and keep it retro with rubberized sleeves and an older look. the previous owner of the armor took some mean rounds too the lower abdomen and after an agonizing death; was relieved of it by our donkonian friend.

the lights on his throat represent the greenium grade nano-bots he's chosen to amplify his toughness with. bluenium nano-bots are a lot better at quickly healing up a blaster wound but that comes at a cost, and jack has been known to skimp on his own protection to save a couple of bucks.

he's still got his sonic pistol in this one and he's got a hankerin' to shoot him some space fly!

jackasstronaught.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    if creativity were a liquid, yours would have a frothy head and veeery tasty aftertaste
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    ahaha cool horse))
    what is the "sketch trades"?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    sooooooouuuuuuuuu coooool!!!

I don´t know what he´s drinking but I think it has something to do with the thing around his head .. ;)
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @killing people: thank you kind sir! but you have made me crazy beer thirsty. so you owe me one next time you're in the area ;D

@conte: thanks man! and "the sketch trade" is simply, i pick a guy you've drawn that i like (like this guy for example) and i do my own version. then you pick a dude of mine you like and draw your own version. everybody wins!

if you are crazy busy that's fine. it was just a suggestion. me and sectuars have done it as well as me and wizo.

@rollin: haha thanks for stopping by dude!

i wanted to reply quick and hate naked posts.

so here's a goofy ID type page i made for fun. it's ME the DRAWBARIAN!!

wielding a huge wacom-pen battle axe. it should be noted that i am hairier and alot better looking in RL.

drawbarians are a totally awesome class i invented. to become a drawbarian you need to first be knighted by jouste or anyone with a beard and a head band will do. after that you get your first quest, that quest must be given by jouste or a guy with a beard. quests range from drawing on the sky train too fighting an army of bears.

upon completion you become a drawbarian, joining the ranks of pure awesome, primed to wreck anybody with your sweet drawing skills.

jouste_the_drawbarian.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    jouste, you realize you have to make a book of these now. descriptions and all.

I'll buy it day 1
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    jouste, ok, i will take on of these, if you don't mind) do the same with creatures in my book
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know..

i still got to do a painting sometime,
    perhaps i can do one of your crazy drawings..

though its up to you to pick one out! ;)
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @bounchfx: flattered dude, but i'd need to get quite alot better before i'd think about getting a book together ;}

@conte: yes! for sure dude. i think i got one in mind ;D

@rens: i'd have to pick? hmmm. maybe jack asstronaught? he's one of my faves. i'll be sure too return the favor if you got a dude in mind of yours.

swamphunter jones! and his awesome machete and harpoon cannon!

i totally got a thing for harpoon cannons and am probably going to be doing an extensive concept sheet of variations. i also gave him a machete that's handy for chopping through swamp vines and other snakey things.

he's also got a frog-gobbling vulture as a pet named vincent. here we can see him about to chow down on a hapless amphibian.

a quick warm up before i get serious ;P

swamphunter.jpg
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i loved conte's teapot dude so i sketched out my own version for fun!

wicked stuff conte. you rule.

this is just another warmup. i'm not too stoked on how it turned out so i shall do another conte! don't you worry. :D

fanart_01.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    ahahahahh, badass!
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @conte: thanks man! that was just a warm up tho, i'll be doing your guy with a mace later on :D

it's stormclaw skydagger! scourge of the air!

being a groundian tail-man, storm claw needs the help of the native giant dragon flies to fly around and shoot down the bad guys. giant dragon flies are more than happy to carry you around, the only trouble is is that they prefer some payment for their hard work flying for 2. this ends up being a steady stream of warm blood while they're air born.

luckily groundian tail-men are chock full of blood and can fly much longer than your standard dude full of blood. stormclaw is wielding a constrictor-rifle, these mean weapons fire a super dense line of grappling wire that wraps around foes, biting into their skin and binding them in a painful bundle and sending them hurtling towards a very messy death.

in the sky's of his native world are where all the wars are fought, to prevent too much destruction on the ground, most of the weaponry is made to make their victims fall towards their doom. this death is known to be the most frightening and intense for the recipient, there for the most preferable to deal out.

he's also fixing his other weapon with his feet, this weapon was damaged when it got too clogged with blood from ramming it into the stomach of his latest kill.

stormclaw.jpg
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey all,

i did up a mud maiden concept sheet! here she is with her "slay stick" ready to deal death to all who oppose the swamp goddess.

slay sticks are vicious weapons that are used both to discipline slaves, ruin survivors minds, and disembowel enemies.

there is a switch on the main head of the weapon that changes it's modes. the toxin on the needle is taken from horrible swamp-fiends and can destroy victims from the mind out within a few agonizing weeks of debilitating brain rot. the toxin needle is usually used when death would be a release for someone who has greatly wronged the mud maidens.

around their necks are filtration and translation collars that can make them speak with any cool accent they so choose. which is a pretty sweet ability. the needle in their headband is used for the galaxies most brutal interrogations. so legendary is the tortuous act that even the sight of the crooked needle is enough to turn the most macho he-man into a sniveling david schwimmer.

the needles are said to be from the backs of the mud-males but no one in the galaxy has ever seen a mud-male before. so it stands that there may be no males and mud-maidens procreate through adoption or something.

mudmaiden.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    ve must stup little baby!
    damn you're productive, that inspires
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It shall be done.

You sure are rocking mister <3
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    I really freakin dig your style man! I would really like to see you make a comic book out of this. :D
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    there is just too much cool in this thread. best sketchbook ever.
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No kiddin' MoP..... seriously as Bounchfx said you make a book of the crazy pic's in here, with a description and people will totally buy it, heck I would buy a copy!
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @conte: thanks for the boost man! glad to hear i am both productive and inspiring! two things i swore i would never become!

@rens: tank you kind sir! look forward to seeing what comes up!

@aimbiz: yeah man i'd like that too, the problem is is that i need to pick one guy and work on him extensively, and i'm pretty sure the only reason people tune in is because they are expecting to see something new each time. i'll think about it for sure.

and btw, grats on your dom war entry dude, you did a great job.

@mop: totally flattered paul. thanks, i will keep it up because you rock so much.

@slingshot: haha a book of jouste? sounds fun but the problem is is that my stuff is small, like DPI wise, and would make shitty for print. i sketch small cause i HATE loading huge files and cause whenever my work can be seen super close up people realize i'm a hack and make fun of me.

who's that holier than thou space man from afar?>

its waldo blackholeson of course! waldo was once a brave singularity technician who would spend most of his time hanging around black holes, harnessing energy and whatnot. until one day something shot out of the hole and blew right through waldo's torso! this happened so fast that waldo did not have the time to die properly and he floats through space on an endless search to try and find what is responsible for his ghoulish demeanor!

still playing around with the zombie space guys just cause i wanted to get back to you cool dudes. thanks for all the kind words, it really keeps me at it! much love to the green and gray. thanks PC!

blackholeson.jpg
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey all!

so here's an idea that's been kickin' around in my head for a while now. it's called witchlock. there's three waring factions set in a fantasy/fairytale/scifi-ish story.

there's the witch-lock (pictured here) the warlocks, and the "un-kissed".

the un-kissed are what would happen if frog princes didn't get changed back and stayed in the swamp breeding ugly humanoid halfbreed monsters. the warlocks ride pitchforks around and prefer human sacrifice and the fastest road to power. the witchlocks meet in the middle and use more practice forms of magic.

the witch-locks main trooper is the "sweeper" class. these girls have bayoneted brooms for some mean charging action as well as some alchemy-grenades. they also attach battle wands to the front of their brooms so it doubles as a rifle as well.

we can also see that she has a smaller side-wand just in case she gets de-broomed or something. she also has a familiar in the form of a shadowcat. shadowcats are cats that became so stealthy they ended up striking a sweet deal with shadows and can assume their form.

i had a few ideas of things to play around with in this universe. like crystal-ball sniper scopes, and battle wand rifles. since i need to work on my females i guess i got a neat-o subject to work on.

thanks for checking it out dudes!

witchlock_01.jpg
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice lady!
    .....the thigh with the round emblem on it, just above the knee is freaking me out tho, looks way different than the other one anatomy wise. Looks really good other than that, nice and curvy (how lady's should be, not scrawny like models).
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @slingshot: thanks for the boost dude! and yeah i'm just getting back into dame anatomy so my first attempts will probably be a little wonky. thanks for the feedback tho, i'll make sure my next lady-legs have more attention drawn to them.

it's mantor the mantis man! this marvelous insectian brawler loves chomping cigars and getting into savage claw-to-claw combat. those crazy spines along his arms and legs are razor sharp and used in the famous bugjitsu fighting style.

mantor's exoskeleton heals extremely slowly, so the scars all over his body seem fresh but have in fact been inflicted back in his rookie years (about 20 years in fact). mantismen have small vestigial wings that they beat furiously during combat to slightly increase jumping height and stir up distracting dust.

mantis men can choose to become grounded during their teenage years strictly by diet. they lose their ability to fly but become melee monsters in the ring.

mantor.jpg
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Man I'm really enjoying these, all great, recogniseable characters.. I miss this kind off stuff in most games! Make a comic already!!!
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @peris: haha thanks for the vote of confidence man! i too miss the characters that are actually characters. there is only really one character in games now, its the prison break guy. the caucasian guy with the shaved head.

this guy has been in mass effect, too human, force unleashed, infamous, red faction... the list goes on and on. like come on people! there are other people out there! the prison break guy is getting tired! put him to bed!

and i'd like to do the comic. but again i gotta pick the best dude for the job

it's starchop! the huge-rumped cleavian. cleavians are each entrusted with a small planetoid to protect and guard against the countless planetoid stealers out there. planetoids are usually populated by small race of size-based geniuses.

the smaller these creatures are the smarter they are, but as we all know, the smaller you are the less people listen to you, so it's a fine balance.

starchop has dual cleavers that can make short work of any potential threats to the planet, and he also has hilarious anecdotes should his blades fail him.

starchop.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    yes yes +fav everything on this page. Jouste, man, make a Digg on this thread so I can digg the hell out of it already!!! Keep rockin.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @vassago: many thanks for the boost man! glad to hear you dig it.

@wizo: wizo! where in the sam hill have you been? haha and i'm afraid i don't know a digg power user that well. ;D glad to hear you like the stuff!

egads! it's brainshot the thought sniper! a techno sniper so awesome he can pinpoint thoughts and ideas in your head and take them right out!

brainshot's psychotropic nano-cilator is usually set to "brilliant idea" and "un-wavering loyalty" to properly disrupt enemy forces from a mental standpoint. he's been sniping ideas for years now and is deployed in enemy territory to destroy any cunning plans or other shenanigans.

brainshot's calculated assaults are rarely noticed by anyone being effected by its super-small-sniper shots. after all how many times have we just forgotten something and it never came back to us? this is probably a thought sniper slowly tearing apart your idea process and ultimately driving you insane.

of course being a thought sniper makes it so other thought snipers are hot on your tail, attempting to take out the idea of finishing the mission or maybe even the name of ACDC's first front man! driving you crazy for the rest of the day because you can't seem to remember the answer to the question! that's why all thought snipers are orange-brained before deployment. their brain is drenched in a substance not unlike super-gatorade and encased in an electronic shell. your brain is so fast that it just outright deflects any mental attacks on it, including all thought sniping!

i painted bigger and tried some new line work and simpler color-palette. hope you digs!

brainshot_01.jpg
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    woah Jouste!I love this last one too! Great tones and expression on the guy... and it seems the character pop out more because of the perspective work. cool cool.

If your interested in sketch trade I definatively wanna try this guy. I havnt drawn anything xcept for amazones in underwear, so if your interested you can checkout my sketchbook, it would be cool to see your take on it.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @wizo: you got it pal! brain shot is looking great!

wizo's sketch trade!

well we know that wizo is awesome and did up an "underwear amazon", so going off that i created lingerina the la-senzian! the underwear amazon!

here she is killing more bug creatures like in wizo's drawing, she's equipped with a mean obsidian spear, snap front garter belt, and bra that was purchased so recently the price tag still be danglin!

la-senzians always accessorize with hot pink nail polish and matching lipstick to strike fear into their buglian opponents!

thanks for the inspiration wizo. hope you dig!

lingerina.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    lol, the lasenzian :D

as always, your fan,
    -paul
  • Spinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    looks great! pose and subject reminds me of frank cho
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hey jouste!

love the perspective and motion in the last 2 too

cool cool cool :)
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    omfg Joooooouste, la-senzian! haha.

if I dig it ? :) I love it! Thats pose and composition is really hot.

I knew youd pull it off superbly. And red lingerie, hmmm hmm my favortie, tho white is too, and black...and.... err in any case, that painting kicks a lot of asses!! :)

Ill try to finish brainshot asap, thats for the boost, you never dissapoint.
    Cheers to you!

EDIT: I hope they make the new Diablo 3 class : the undewearazon.
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    I'm so glad I cheched this thread before going to sleep. Awesome everything and refreshing humor!
  • andersh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andersh polycounter lvl 10
    Stumbled across your thread again and made sure to subscribe this time!

I would love love love to model one of your characters some time.
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    love the underwear amazon, great works all around.