Home Digital Sketchbooks

sketchbook: jouste

Replies

• Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    updates! finally :D! the last mounted guy has much better shading/texture than your previous work. and it looks cool too :).
    Keep it going man! always looking forward for more!
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    @bounchfx:
    thanks for the compliments! good to know that there's flavor in there

@rens:
    hey its understandable man, everybody gets busy. thanks for dropping by.

@japhir:

thanks for noticing the progression of my coloring. if i remember correctly, you were one of the people harassing me to get more colored stuff out there so thanks a pile.

so here's locktopuss the galactic grappler! known throughout the universe as the greatest bipedal wrestler ever known! locktopuss sees through the ingenious "eye-belt", that keeps his focus on the opponent's center of gravity.

locktopuss.jpg
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    Now that would be fun to model. Too bad I suck so badly at organic modeling that it would make you cry :( I said it and I'll say it again and again: Awesome work!
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    sweet sketch . that boar-n totally doesn't give a shit bout them arrows in his ass! probably got attacked by all the fools that just got the ugly stick beat down.
    I love your stuff, very fun.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @inprogress:
    thanks for the props man, and i'm sure you could crank out a mean organic model if you set some goals for yourself, there's quite a few champs here that i'm sure can give us all some pointers on organic modeling (one of my weaknesses as well).

@breakneck:
    haha you are correct! the air-boar-n does NOT give a shit about all the rear dmg. and thanks for saying my stuff is fun, that's usually what i go for.

so here is another mounted dude (christ jouste try and be at least a little original with your stuff). i do them also cause i draw on the skytrain to work and the fastest thing i can draw is a mounted guy so i do them quite a bit at lunch as well.

drumstique is named so cause his silhouette would probably look like a chicken drumstick in the right light. he's being ridden by a dual harpoon-pistol wielding bandito and has taken some weapons to the face!

luckily drumstique's brain works much better with some emergency trepanning and accelerates the adrenaline glands as well.

this attribute makes the drumstique a perfect shock trooper and favorite mount of the red-scarves. they taste quite good as well.

drumstique.jpg
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Man love both these last ones. I really wish I knew what I was doing with character models cause they both scream out model me! I might try my hand at a harpoon pistol because it looks like a fun weapon (if you don't mind). Actually make that Pistola because he's a bandito! :P (I'd say pistole cause it sounds better but apparently a pistole is some sort of french name for a spanish coin haha)
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Haha wow! I like the last one. Scary tung to be licked bye if you pet it ^^
  • flog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in love! I so want to make a movie in your style of art! I'm working on an animated series now. Got pipeline running but seriously would love to do the movie in your style! You have one of the best styles I've ever seen!

Awesome! Not only do you draw great but the character behind them is amazing. Even when they are standing still they exude an entire story.

Love, love love your work!

Hey if you are interested in that movie let me know.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    this is kinda lame but you should draw a helghast soldier(killzone 2) in your art style i think it would fit so awesomely :P
  • flog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude seriously I need to make a movie in your style. I think your style has hit my favorite of all time. Love the proportions! Everyone can draw but style is a whole new matter. Awesome, beautiful and gorgeous.

If ever you want to make an animated movie in your style, contact me! Love it.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @saidin311: i know its been a while but hell yes model that harpoon-pistol! there isn't enough harpoon pistols in the world.

@belltann: yes the tongue is scary. thanks for noticing.

@flog: wow thanks for the passionate postings! well a movie sounds like alot of work and tragically i will step over my own mother to avoid any extra work. wither way, i'll keep crankin out the pics! glad you like em.

@ae.: that's not too lame. i am adverse to anything space marine-y but i may have to give it a shot. thanks for the suggestion.

so this is twigg the twig-mage. he's riding on a cyclopean rocket-skull which is totally bad-ass. twigg uses twig magic to smash his foes into smithereens and pull hats out of rabbits.

bone shards are also jammed through his skin to impress his many girlfriends and old gym teacher.

to actually acquire a cyclopeana rocket skull is pretty tricky: first you have to coax the cyclops out of his texas hold 'em game, then you have to decapitate him and set him on fire.

no easy task...

twigg.jpg

• Marnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    saved to my inspiration folder.

I love the pallet you used and your style is so... Awesome!
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @marnik: hey thanks for the boost man.

keeping the quick sketches coming,

i'm getting anxious and i want to be ready for the DOM WAR and represent the gray and green to the best of my ability.

here's Muggoth the meteor master. muggoth is a meteo-path who can control meteors and asteroids through the sheer power of his stand-up comedy.

meteo-paths use their super meteor-kenisis mostly to intimidate larger species and steal their womens.

[FONT=&quot] moggoth.jpg
    [/FONT]
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blasted out a quick barbarian during a convo me and a friend had about card games. this barbarian is so hell-bent on destroying things that he smashes right through treasure! zounds! what a focused warrior!

so I'm keeping up the momentum of the daily sketches so when the dom-war hits i'll be ready to keep the pressure up with a bunch of updates.

Polycount's sketchbook threads are looking sooooo sexy, some real hot-rods getting their stuff on here! great to see everybody.

DD_barbarian.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    jess you should toss your blog in your signature so people can follow ;)
  • Marnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    i'm with brome on this one =]
  • L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    L polycounter lvl 11
    love your stuff man, very flavorful indeed. love the story details and little bios you got on your stuff as well, definitely compliments your art. good stuff man keep it all coming...
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    Barbarian dude is cool. I feel sorry for unhappy skull. Why is he bashing skulls anyways? Seems like an unkind thing to do....
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Muggoth & Bristlefish are my favs. Lots of great detail & style on Bristlefish and the simple forms and shading on Muggoth is inspiring.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @adambrome: thanks man, its been up there but not too obviously i suppose.

@marnik: thanks man, but i post all my pics up on polycount first cause its the best.

@lemonhead: glad to hear you dig. YOU by the way are stellar, glad to be following your artwork all over the place. we oughta do up a character swap or something once dom war is done or something.

@coldkodiak:
    i felt kinda bad for the skull now that you mention it. i picture him now going "oh come on man!"

@scoobydoofus:
    glad to hear that muggoth has got a fan! i really liked drawing him, he's pretty phallic which is probably why he's so awesome. thanks for checking the stuff out!

so i did this over lunch just to unwind staring at desecrator dang for so long. on the ride to work on the sky train and the way home i always manage to sketch out a dude on a monster with a mounted harpoon cannon on it. (alot like tug from way back). i really want to do somehting with these dudes because a whole pile of mounted combat with harpoon cannons would be pretty awesome.

this dude is riding a magmaur; an irate addicted monster with hooves so hot they glassify the desert sands! the rider is lightly armored so more of a scouting class.

so yeah, nice and quick and relaxed. pretty stress free, you guys all rule. jouste out.

harpoon_01.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    that would make a pretty awesome game. A mounted combat harpoon combat game. Maybe try making a giant design doc and plan out some gameplay and mock it up :)
  • jebird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was a 11 pages of pure jaw dropping art. You have won me over. I need more. I need to see more bodies and blood, from the creatures from my dreams beating the crap out of one another.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @aesir: haha yeah i'll give making a giant design doc a shot. thanks for the vote of confidence!

@jebird: welcome to the forums dude! and never fear, the gore and crazy crap will keep coming until my hands stop working. thanks for the boost.

over lunch i just cranked out this dynamic demonic duo! its howler and devil brain. whenever something lousy goes down in RL it tends to affect a couple of my next sketches so i need to get them out of my system.

not alot of direction on these dudes, except maybe that devil brain is a disembodied brain with horns. see? this stuff needs to get out of my system so i can do better stuff later on.

thanks for watchin you cool dudes.

-jouste

devilbrain.jpg
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This duo is awesome...First I thought that the brain left the body, being fed up with his taste in nail polish.:)
  • JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
    <Additional clever confidence boosting comment>
  • SlappyBag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just found this thread and wanted to let you know that I love you and will you have my babies?
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @inprogress: haha that's actually a pretty sweet reason for there to be a floating brain. if there's one thing i can't stand it's poor taste in nail polish.

@jesterbox: *highfives* thanks dude, it IS actually that big.

@slappybag: lots of love back. and i don't think i want anyones babies at the moment. thanks for the offer, i'll take a rain check.

so i usually don't do this but here's a pseudo work in progress picture. i'm calling it "complete enough to post" cause my idea is there and i'd like to move on and come back to it another time.

this is protecterror. an idea i came up with a while ago. see there's these battling scientists from back in the day that are fighting a sciency gang war over laboratory turf. they make their frankenstienian monsters and go out and do awesome battles.

one dude would control the monster and be like a mobile cover piece. here we can see the guy's monster tanking through some machine gun fire as the scientist re-loads his ray-gun. the player controlling the monster would also be able to hoist the scientist player up to new heights, throw objects, or pummel other protector monsters.

the scientist would be controlled by another player, he uses the monster to advance strategically while firing at the opposing scientists with his cool concoctions and deadly gadgets. the scientist would also be very susceptible to damage and needs to stay close to his guardian if he wants to survive the turf war.

kind of a hammer-handed approach to the brains and the brawn thing but could be a neato idea. anyways i shall be returning to it eventually. i love drawing frankenstiens and battle-scientists so now i have a good excuse.

-jouste

protecterror_WIP.jpg
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Stuffs looking cool their Jouste, glad to see your still keeping the sketch book rollin'!
  • Duranian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great artwork you have here and very imaginative to say the least.
    Glad to see you have a deviant art account and I look forward to seeing your next piece.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Dude I'd love to see your take on Aqua Knight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_Knight

In short: Armored knights that ride armored killer whales and dual under water. The knight armor is based around old navy diving suits (with the hose that runs to the surface, only the knight suits don't have the hose) and looks badass.

ANS1p23.gif
  • speshlboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just perused through your thread and liked what I saw, you've a great sense of humour within your images.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @slingshot: thanks for the boost slinger old pal! i shall keep the sketchbook rolling!

@duranian: you bet. i'll get on that newer content thing soon. welcome to the forums!

@adambrome: i actually really like that idea. i've never really been one for manga fan art (unless its tezuka cause he's the best) but i will give that a shot for sure.

@speshlboy: dude your stuff is great. thanks for checking my stuff out. i always try and get some cheap laughs with my pics. it makes up for my massive shortcomings.

so its been far far too long. trip and family isues but i'm back! here to make a solem oath to get more crap done. thats right. all that crap i did before is going to be a sad amount whe compared to what i'll be cranking out now.

got set up at home with a brand spankin' new cintiq 12wx. (not the big one cause i'm lazy and love to draw on my lap). and it's been a blast breaking it in.

anyways. just a quick warm up, its the oarsman! another dude-with-weapon-riding-monster. this guy heils from the red-side and uses a really mean raz-oar (get it?) to slice up his foes from afar! the mount he's chosen is the cackling blue-beast; a great pack-mount, capable of carrying alot of equipment without losing too much mobility over rocky terrain.

cackling blue beasts have spongy scales and shaggy hair that absorb the stench of the blood-swamps they frequent. the toxins in the swamps eventually reach the brain of the monster, numbing thier pain receptors and shorting out thier humor gland. this makes the the tragic beast capable of laughing at pretty much anything and enjoying the comedy stylings of rosanne barr.

dismount_01.jpg
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another quick one. here's notch! he's super tough and has been known to be a ruthless mercenary who get's paid by the swing of his mighty weapon. he is currently handling the cost for looking at someone (a 3 silver minimum), usually this is enough to destroy the will of the target and only in extreme cases will he have to bring down the club and start caving in some rib cages.

his name is notch because of those cool notches on his weapon, these notches are a reminder of how many times he's blocked something sharp on his weapon.

notch.jpg
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Superb as always. I would love to see a video or something that explaines some of thoughtprocess you go through developing these truly unique characters. And how you keep it fresh all the time, and how you think up the details and that good stuff.
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jouste, those are awesome works. i was wondering, can I take a shot at modeling the Oarsman? :)
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jerry: i'm looking for some software to accomplish said video. got any ideas? i like to gab as well, so mic support would be awesome as well.

@inprogress: of course you can! get on those polygons you modeling maniac! did you need a quick sketch or something with him standing?

its sharkula! a dreaded space-shark-vampire from the shark side of the moon! in his grasp is the most amazing RADSLAYER a knife so deadly that it needs 2 handles! a pneumatic dorsal-blade is also available for the constant combat most shark-vampires face on a day to day basis.

now as most vampires, sharkula needs blood to do awesome things. enter the BLUD BELT. on sharkula's waist is the blood belt and it displays how much blood sharkula has in reserve for doing awesome things. whenever sharkula decides to do something awesome (like beating up ryu or out-acting jeffery combs) a light goes out, reminding sharkula how much blood-moves he's got in reserve and how drastically he needs to fill up his reserves.

luckily sharkula slashes through piles of dudes, and wit hall that slicing going on there's bounds to be gallons of blood flying everywhere. a shark-vampire's scales are very absorbent and soak up any blood. they're like a bunch of little shamwows when it comes to blood. so basically, if sharkula focuses on using up his blood points to slaughter his way through dudes, he'll keep filling up his blud belt and keep doing awesome things!

initially i figure that blud belts can get upgraded with enough rank or whatever, like link's hearts.

so an older character i had that i decided to give a face lift. always liked the idea of a 2d sidescroller with this dude bloodening his way through awesome crazy levels. sigh, a man can always dream!

p.s. a very good friend of mine came up with a wicked idea that sharkula fights the undead in some encounters, cause they have no blood! so sharkula would have to be extra careful with his blood reserves.

sharkula.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you make things look so easy <3
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    cool sharkdiver espionage dude
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That would be awesome, jouste. Thanks!
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, great you're into doing it. The only experience with recording i had was Camtasia studio and since that is a paid application i went and googled up something free.

Tried and tested on XP, works very nicely and it records audio as well:
    http://camstudio.org/
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Nice, really digging the mercenary..like the blade on the back of sharkula too, cool idea.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rens: thanks for the <3 pal. when it comes to drawing wacky space dudes it usually feels easier. it's quite the comfort zone for me.

@ged: thanks for the boost!

@inprogress: i forgot the sketch at work friend. i'll get it to you tomorrow

@jerry: thanks for hunting that down for me jerry! i'm getting something together soonish. looks like a great program to be using.

@slingshot: glad you dig notch and the shark's back-blade. always good hearing from you slinger

so its another dude from space! its ptony the pteroman! ptony is a star tagger. he tags roving male star-beasts with his harpoon-tagger and they lead him and his shipmates to the herds where they can poach to their hearts content.

ptony lost his right leg to a very aggressive space-orca bull when his tag hit a very small cluster of nerves on the monster and it charged him. luckily ptony's good pal is good with cybernetics and he was outfitted with the wonderful robotic leg pictured here. the leg holds some spare ammunition and can open the side of a space-cruiser in a pinch.

pteromen are the galaxies' most ruthless poachers. they've been known to poach everything from moon salmon to space eggs. the pteromen's fur and ivory trade is a massive operation and they are also no slouches in combat. using their cunning and zero-gravity combat abilities they have gotten out of many a tough situation.

ptony.jpg
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey inprogress! here's a rough of the oarsman you requested. feel free to post it wherever you want in your thread if you need to.

oarsman_rough.jpg

here's some zombie warriors! the bloodwalkers!. these dudes are a little clumsy but specialize in exhuming new recruits up from graveyards. a hunter of the undead can easily track them through their bloody footprints they leave, hence their name.

the quicker hand-spade bloodwalkers are more scouts, while the heavier shovel wielders are responsible for the heavy digging and dealing with any of the living foolish enough to stand in thier way.

bloodwalkers.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    oh good jouste..

who wants a jouste comic book ??

meeeeeeeeeee !

:)

man you could easily populate a complete marvel universe by yourself.. ;)
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rollin: hey thanks man! hey if i ever had the chance to populate a universe i would totally jump at it and strangle it into the ground ;D

its root-omega the salad samurai! with his fierce zester-blade he annihilates the citrus swordsmen and any other fruit or vegetable based warrior that is foolish enough to test his metal.

root omega was grown by the gardener monks over the course of many moons. while he was growing in the battle enriched earth he was also bombarded with the sweet serenades of lou reed, keeping him totally on the level and chilled right out.

so basically it was late and i needed to crank something out. i think i have a new fall back if i'm out of stuff to draw. prepare for some concept sheets of more salad samurai during the wee hours of the evening.

rootomega.jpg
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dealing with the dead is hard enough here on earth, but just imagine getting haunted in space! when deadbolt, the shin-gunning nercomancer for hire, left his planet's atmosphere for the first time he learned the hard way that death's shit is waaaaaay more serious when lightyears are involved.

basically deadbolt is constantly being bombarded with cosmic haunts and ghosts as well as the armies of the undead. space is a super-duper lonely place and its dead finally found someone to talk to.

those two guns he's got are shin guns and hit you with everything from bone splinters to voodoo curses. treating the wounds from a shin gun is a real crap shoot as its effects are constantly fluxuating.

so deadbolt is the first in a few dudes i'm going to draw in a series i call "rest in space" where the main focus is how the undead is handled on a cosmic level.

deadbolt.jpg
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey all! got a little wound out tonight so decided to revisit an old friend

it's knothead! that zany tree-man; wielding axes and chopping down everything standing in his way! we can see in this picture that he has chopped down a close relative and the squirrel is totally confused because now he has no where to store his nuts.

knothead never talks, usually because he has a family of crows living in his head.

that's a whetstone on his side there for weighing down his important documents when it gets breezy.

knothead.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    omg last one is fuckeenategg!
    keep up the awesome work, man, i love your chars) they're unique and so fun.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hah, all your character designs are so fucking awesome, im not sure which knothead posture i prefer - he looks more nonchalant in the previous one but but i luvs his gaze in the new one. And well, thats that... sweet :3