Home Technical Talk

CS, CS2, or CS3 in Vista

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Illusions polycounter lvl 18
I'm going to be loading Photoshop onto my new machine soon, and remember (and reread) that thread discussing how Vista causes a stuttering problem in CS2 and CS3, and was just wondering if this has been resolved, or if it happens at all in CS1. Also...I've been using CS1 for years now, back since when it originally came out. Is there anything that I should be aware of with the new packages, or which is the more efficient version? Or should I just stick with my tried and true CS1? Many thanks in advance...

Replies

• RustyFranks
    Offline / Send Message
    RustyFranks polycounter lvl 17
    CS2 works fine on my vista... i haven't really pushed it too hard yet though but it has been left open for days at a time with multiple images open. no crashes at all:poly113::poly113::poly113:
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    There used to be an issue with CS2/3 on Vista, where it would take 10+ minutes to open a relatively small image file. Not everyone experienced it, but some on this board did. I haven't heard/read of any complaints since SP1 launched, though.
  • Sastrei
    Offline / Send Message
    Sastrei polycounter lvl 11
    CS2 on Vista, no problems here for about 3 months now.

-Stefan-
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i have problems with the airbrush stuttering in vista, using CS1.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah I had problems using CS3 on Vista. Drawing, painting, anything really, stutters slightly. It's bearable, but shouldn't happen on this rig.
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    CS2 on Vista as well. Unless you have particular issues with CS1, I'd just stick with that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    For Vista+CS3 (cant tell about sp1):
    You need Aero to be enabled for CS3 to run smooth. Stupid, but true. So if you try to increase CS3 performance by removing most of the unwanted Vista stuff, it wont work...

Xeno : don't know about CS2 since I never used it, but CS1 for instance didn't support the Wacom 6D pen twist. So having CS3 is nice for that. But if CS2 has it also thats cool!
  • hyrumark
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    CS2 will get a choppy cursor at times when I'm zoomed in close in Vista. It usually happens if I'm zoomed in close with a brush , then pan the image, then resume brushing it will get choppy. I think this relates to the Aero thing like Pior said (I have it disabled).

It's not THAT big of a deal, usually if I hit CTRL + 0 to do a "fit to window" and then zoom back in I'm back up and running smoothly again.
  • Illusions
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys. I would probably go with Xenobond's suggestion, as thats what I was hoping for. CS1 is what I'm used to, and have no problems with, so unless I start to, I think I'll just stick with that. Nice to know the other stuff though.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    pior wrote: »
    For Vista+CS3 (cant tell about sp1):
    You need Aero to be enabled for CS3 to run smooth. Stupid, but true. So if you try to increase CS3 performance by removing most of the unwanted Vista stuff, it wont work...
    Wow. Thats backwards. I dont have SP1 installed so that should fix it. So now I have to turn aero on when I want to use CS3 and turn it off when I'm using Max else viewport blanks out.

Really love vista here :/
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Oh actually, on the Vista machine I am using, Max (or is it Vista doing that? Who knows...) shuts down Aero by itself and brings it back when I close it.

But yeah it's a pain. I notice little hickups caused by Aero in many programs, for instance, viewport switching is slower in Modo if Aero is on.