Home Technical Talk

render to texture problem

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
garriola83 greentooth
hi, im using 3ds max 2008 to render to texture an AO material, but for some reason my renders always seem to be missing big pieces of my model. everything ive gotten is unwrapped correctly. could it be a map channel problem? im rendering my texture in map channel 3. if so, how can i make all my surfaces to map channel 3? thanks!

Replies

• garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    heres my unwrap
    uvs.jpg
    and heres my AO
    obj_lightgenerator_lod00_001ambi-1.jpg
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Make sure the pieces that are missing aren't flipped (IE. mirrored). MR has an issue with rendering flipped/mirrored UVs. Best way to check is make a check map with letters on it, 5x5 tiling and see if the letters are facing the wrong way.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's also a "Select Inverted" command in the Unwrap window.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the heads up!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    There's also a "Select Inverted" command in the Unwrap window.

That's a damn good tip I was oblivious to. :)
    Thanks.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    oh wow thanks, geez didnt know that at all. THANKS SO MUCH!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    whoa actually that didnt work. i flipped the ones that are inverted and still wouldnt make a baked texxture
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    oh after some tedious face flipping i finally got it! thanks everyone!
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    Probably a bit late to aid that much, but here's some things to avoid which should minimise face flipping in future.

1) Never use Max's Mirror tool. Instead, use the Mirror or symetry modifiers in your stack - the mirror tool screws x-forms, resulting in mirrored faces you can't see on the mesh. If you then continue to model using Edit Poly you can end up with a combination of flipped and unflipped normals on the same mesh, which is a bugger to sort out.

2) Avoid scaling objects using the Scale tool. Instead, wherever possible, go into a sub-object mode of Edit Poly (I like vertex mode personally), select everything and then scale down using the scale tool. Again, scaling the object directly can screw your object's X-forms (though less likely to result in flipped faces, it i spossible if you scale to a minus amount by mistake).

3) If you do end up doing any of the above reset the X-Forms right away (It's under the Tools panel I think - Panel to the far right, icon looks like a hammer), and then, if the faces become flipped, select them all and flip them back - saves messing around later on.

You may have known all that, but X-Forms are a really irritating part of Max that a lot of people don't know about until they've had probems with them a few times.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    HarlequiN wrote: »
    Probably a bit late to aid that much, but here's some things to avoid which should minimise face flipping in future.

1) Never use Max's Mirror tool. Instead, use the Mirror or symetry modifiers in your stack - the mirror tool screws x-forms, resulting in mirrored faces you can't see on the mesh. If you then continue to model using Edit Poly you can end up with a combination of flipped and unflipped normals on the same mesh, which is a bugger to sort out.

2) Avoid scaling objects using the Scale tool. Instead, wherever possible, go into a sub-object mode of Edit Poly (I like vertex mode personally), select everything and then scale down using the scale tool. Again, scaling the object directly can screw your object's X-forms (though less likely to result in flipped faces, it i spossible if you scale to a minus amount by mistake).

3) If you do end up doing any of the above reset the X-Forms right away (It's under the Tools panel I think - Panel to the far right, icon looks like a hammer), and then, if the faces become flipped, select them all and flip them back - saves messing around later on.

You may have known all that, but X-Forms are a really irritating part of Max that a lot of people don't know about until they've had probems with them a few times.

thanks for all the help. for some reason, some faces were "supposedly" flipped, and when i flipped them over, they would render black. i turned on backfaced cull and my model consisted of half flipped and half normals are facing right. i checked the uvws and selected flipped faces and none was selected. WHAT?! i know, right?! i just remodeled the whole thing. the whole ordeal was irritating, ive never had this happen before. thanks tho.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The STL Check modifier is also another helpful tool, if you didn't know about it already. It selects problem faces or edges automatically, depending on the problem (doubled, flipped, open, etc.) so you can easily find what needs fixing.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    Good point Eric, I'd forgotten about that. The only thing to note there is that it switches you to edit mesh (or at least it does in the version I'm using. 9 I think). Not a big deal, but worth noting in case you need to be in edit poly and forget to switch back ;)

Interesting trivia: STL is short for STereoLithography, and is actually a file format used in things like rapid prototyping. Despite it's intended purpose it comes in really handy for Game Art too.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find it bizarre sometimes how much the old tricks still get used. Maybe that's just how old of a dog Max is. :)