Home General Discussion

Homebrew cards

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Cody polycounter lvl 15
I'm looking for a homebrew card so I can watch movies, and use Labyrinth's ds model viewer and that cool ds photoshop program among other cool stuff. Any suggestions? A friend has the r4, and it works well, but doesn't have microSDHC compatibility for bigger card sizes.

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Your best options are the R4 (which I have), and the M3 Simply. Neither of which support SDHC. Why is that a problem? 1 GB is a large size for DS apps. just carry two or more with you. And most apps are small to run on the DS memory.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    M3 Real supports SDHC, and I'd recommend that one. Same as M3 Simply, just with the SDHC capability.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    i got my 2gb card to use with the r4 for cheap as hell at bestbuy. if you think 2gb isn't enough then you're one greedy ass pirate.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Movies do take up a bit of space. Especially when it's more than just 2.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Make sure you try out Colors! which is a really awesome homebrew painting app for the DS. Did you know the DS's touch screen is pressure sensitive? I had no idea until I tried this thing.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, watching movies on a 192 x 256 screen sounds like a great idea. </sarcasm>

The pressure sensitivity is hacked, as you'll find it's not very accurate, but it's useful. I have to return my new Blue DSlite, because a section of the screen isn't as sensitive as it should be. But, I don't think I should tell Nintendo how I know that. Color's is fun after you fool around with the settings a bit. If you're into mixing music, check out Nitrotracker.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yes, watching movies on a 192 x 256 screen sounds like a great idea. </sarcasm>

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of a short clip of David Lynch commenting on the iPhone: http://youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0 laugh.gif
  • hawken
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hawken, Hawken. Why would you recommend such a painful setup?

R4 works great on the Lite and only uses the DS slot. When I got mine from Amazon the matching 2Gb MicroSD card showed up in the recommendations, easy! The only thing one needs to do is to copy the files from the included R4 CD to the cards root. One thing to know is that the R4 *does* come with a USB MicroSD reader, so no need to get that as an individual purchase.

Also - if I remember correctly there is one test you can run to know which bios version your DS is running. Involves running a pictochat session with an actual game in the DS slot and pulling it out. The color of the xSOD tells you which type of DS you have - this might help when it comes to picking the right, compatible homebrew kit.

To the homebrewers : there is a free, official port of the Flashback engine for the DS. So if you have access to the game source you can run it from there, just like ScummVM DS can run DOTT and Sam&Max!
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Supercard DS ONE, R4, and CycloDS are the best as far as compatibility and features. The Supercard ONE and the CycloDS both have a save state feature that is AMAZING on games like FF3 and Phantom Hourglass. I'd highly recommend either just for that.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Pior, pretty much any card these days are future proof and doesn't rely on a hack to work, so they work on any ds.

hawken has a good point though, especially with homebrew, there aren't any slot-1 devices with built in ram, so heavy ram-using homebrew won't work on those, but a slot-2 sollution with build in ram, like some of the m3's, can run quake2 and ramdemanding quake1 mods.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eld: you can use the Opera ram-extension for that too, if the game/app supports it. Quake 2 does, I think.

And R4 R4 R4! it autopatches, and has worked great for me.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    mightyPea, that's true, but then you've ended up with a two slot solution anyway smile.gif and all memoryexpansion vary alot in speed.

I've heard the R4 and M3 are basicly the same in hardware.

I myself use an acekard RPG, since it has a built in usbport for the quickest way to test out your homebrew, and an opensource firmware, oh and built in memory.

if you aren't into any of those features, then I suggest the R4 of M3, whichever the dice decides for you.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Wow. This decision is going to be tricky. Thanks for all the input guys!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hawken, Hawken. Why would you recommend such a painful setup?

R4 works great on the Lite and only uses the DS slot. When I got mine from Amazon the matching 2Gb MicroSD card showed up in the recommendations, easy! The only thing one needs to do is to copy the files from the included R4 CD to the cards root. One thing to know is that the R4 *does* come with a USB MicroSD reader, so no need to get that as an individual purchase.

Also - if I remember correctly there is one test you can run to know which bios version your DS is running. Involves running a pictochat session with an actual game in the DS slot and pulling it out. The color of the xSOD tells you which type of DS you have - this might help when it comes to picking the right, compatible homebrew kit.

To the homebrewers : there is a free, official port of the Flashback engine for the DS. So if you have access to the game source you can run it from there, just like ScummVM DS can run DOTT and Sam&Max!

[/ QUOTE ]

slot 2 dude, it's all about the back door.

not for pirate games, but homebrew

Actually thats all bullshit. When I wrote that, there was no reliable slot1 solution.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    I have a M3 DS Real with the GBA & Rumble pack thing, and it works great. This is my 3rd, I had a DS Simply, and an original M3, and they've all been good but each one has improved something.