Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Heniu

Piotr Słomowicz
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Piotr Słomowicz polycounter lvl 17
Howdy.
I sculpted that sucker with normal maps in mind. I don't know if I'll bother or have time to finish him. For now its just a long time needed update of full body human models for my folio.

Man im tired. Posting at 4 am meh.

heniu1.jpg
heniu2.jpg
heniu5.jpg
heniu6.jpg

Replies

• frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The model is really nice and i like the sculpt although i think that the facial expression makes him look pretty vacant even though he is in a neutral pose.

One suggestion i would make is that upon visiting your site i saw some of the comments you had written to annotate your models. Whilst i know your not asking for crit i would change them. Saying things like "That is if I will actually bother with normal mapped version." and "The thing is I don't like to wait. I hate non realtime work." can come across really badly to employers reading your comments. Thats certainly the impression i got. Your work will carry you so far but i think the comments are giving the wrong impression about you as a person.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    This kills dude. Very nice detailed work. I think my only suggestion would be to give your hands more of a defined shape, they are a bit on the soft and round side(this may have been your stylistic choice)...same thing with the overall head shape. They wouldnt even stand out much except that the piece is so nice overall.

Also thanks for replying to my email a while back, it was very helpful to gain some insight into your workflow.

Dave
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    nice ... looks a bit like tom berenger in platoon?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    must have taken bloody ages!
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    hey man, Cool work. I think the detailling is good.
    But like most of your other work, you still lack the base form. its like u have all thoses details on a shapeless base...like theres nothing under thoses details.. no bones, muscles, blabla. Know what i mean? the head as this oval shape with details..

Thats just where u are lacking, Spend more time on the base form in the low details stage, give it some muscle def, bones and all that Crap..

But hey, Thats me.

Goodluck!
    ben
  • Piotr Słomowicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to disagree.

I know I had to work on bigger shapes, I can see that myself now in older works but this guy here, he is supposed to be average. Google Ben Affleck images for example. Look at neck, arms, face.

You are just used to watching way too many hero type ultra muscled cyber ape faced badasses. His head is not a baloon with wrinkles. Look at the side of it, whole side has lots of different curves, his ears for example are connected at slight arc and so on. I did work on them, but I was aiming for a normal guy with slight ammount of fat, so you can't see every single muscle definition on him.

I know my errors from past on big shapes, so Im extra carefull about that now.

Ps. Tremulant > No problem. And yeah his hands could use more bumps from veins and such. They were there but got kinda washed out with that lighting.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Cool model, although some of the smaller details look like they don't have enough res and you can see "jaggies" from there not being enough polygons to support the sculpted shape which in turn will be blurry when processed to a normal map.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    uh, Im not saying he as to be a super hero. Nor a Ult muscle ape face or whatever. Im saying like your other work, it lack a good base, before applying all ur details, the finger are tube, they need the base form, from the bones to the muscle on too. Every human have muscle, Not only superhero. Know what i mean? IS face is flat. He as no bone structure, even tho hes normal or fat, we all have them... Im realyy not talking about Hero muscle cyber ape face..

ben
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Looks pretty good, where's the color maps? Tweak him out like the guys are saying and finish him!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    I have to agree with b1ll i think you could push this way further by just adding more form to the lower level. The detailling is great, no question, it's just the base where i'm missing the forms.
  • Piotr Słomowicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    B1ll> You liked my cyber ape face definition didn't you.

I know what you mean man, eybrow bones sticking out, cheek bones, jaw and so on. Dents on the side of the forehead etc. Im just saying that I don't see a problem with that. You probably would like to have that stuff more defined. For me though, its fine.

My own face doesn't have these features at all by the way. I got really round face, no eyebrows sticking out (at all), no cheek bones sticking out, no square jaw, hell I don't even have smiley lines. Thats the reason why I will never model myself smile.gif

Tinman >I know, I just didn't feel like going any higher than that, its 6 milion already.

Now folks, if you agree with B1ll then please tell me exactly which feature, which bone you would like to be changed. That would help me more with future models, or maybe when Ill finally decide to do normal maps with that guy so I could quickly fix stuff.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    It may help to model more of the pieces as separate meshes. You'll get sharper better defined edges for the different objects and it'll help make texturing a LOT easier because you can render out each object with a different color when processing to give you a mask for your materials.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work Poitr. I dig.

If I were to make a suggestion it would be more big brush silhouette changes in the cloth. More very low frequency stuff.

Right now it seems to have good medium-high detail but lacks some BIG brush movements. IMHO