Home General Discussion

Good editorial on piracy by Stardock

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
Editorial

And while not actually naming them, it nicely explains what epic is doing wrong and why they think the PC market stinks (they just announced that UE4 will be console only at first).

Replies

• ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    Interesting
    reading it all at the mo
    but christ that site hurts my eyes
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely a good article, but I think it's avoiding some issues.

He talks a lot about how you should target the market of actual customers rather than the pirates, but the hell do you even do that?? It's the same people with slightly different morals as far as I can tell.

He says current PC devs are doing it all wrong by making games that mostly pirates want, but he doesn't suggest what they should be making. The onyl real suggestion he makes is that copy protection is pointless. Certainly the budgets for games needs to be dropped considering how few make a profit, but he doesn't mention low budget vs. high budget issues.

Its a good article, but it certainly raises the question: HOW!
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    definitely a good read, the reason i don't buy games anymore is cuz my computer is too weak for them and im a broke ass college student haha
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    The guy just comes off like he's giving himself a blowjob. There are a couple valid points, but they're lost in all the praise he's giving himself.

[ QUOTE ]
    I focus on making games that I think will be the most profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That kind of quote is not what I like to hear from a game developer cause you end up getting the same game, slightly different.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Good article. I back up his statement about gamers not buying games with copy protection. I won't do it (Bioshock). I'm more likely to pirate the game with the protection cracked. I also won't buy a game that looks best with the latest and greatest graphics hardware (Crysis). And companies that develop these titles shouldn't blame piracy for that. They should blame themselves for seeking huge profits from a small demographic. Or simply hoping to boost hardware sells. I only buy what's known to work well on my system, the system I believe is affordable at this time. Otherwise I'll pirate the expensive stuff, for the eyecandy, and move on to something else with more compelling gameplay. I know some friends that bought Sins of a Solar Empire, and they enjoy it. It's on my list.

Keg: I think you're looking at that quote out of context. He means he designs games directed towards those who will actually purchase it for the gameplay value. Those with interest in the game type, and the system to run it well.
  • eggnog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So all games should be made in genres that have less pirates in the demographic? That is a terrible suggestion. Great companies like Iron Lore go down in part to piracy in the PC market and this developer is saying its their fault they didn't make a low budget/ low system requirement game like theirs. Just because pirates don't affect them as much doesn't mean companies should follow their footsteps. Not every game company wants to make RTS Space games.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Piracy is bad, but as long as games cost money people will do it.
    And they will never stop costing money, because obviously the developers need, and deserve the money.
    Unless it becomes an offense punishable by death.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More games should be made with less retarded copy protection routines and less cry baby publisher CEO's. Iron Lore went down due to lack of funding for a new project, as the official website explains. Whether or not that's true, that's what is written.

Who do you listen to? An official website, a well-informed editorial written by someone with the knowledge to develop a fun game for the appropriate demographic and hardware.

Or a CEO who writes "There's a lot of stupid people out there." when referring to his past and potential customers. May as well blame all those pesky pirates, reviewers, and average PC users, who cause so many of them game studios with great games to shut down.
  • Cricket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cricket polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    So all games should be made in genres that have less pirates in the demographic? That is a terrible suggestion. Great companies like Iron Lore go down in part to piracy in the PC market and this developer is saying its their fault they didn't make a low budget/ low system requirement game like theirs. Just because pirates don't affect them as much doesn't mean companies should follow their footsteps. Not every game company wants to make RTS Space games.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy came off as slightly full of himself, but put another way, it's still the cold hard truth regarding the PC market. Even if Iron Lore had made the game on a lower budget with lower system requirements, I doubt piracy of TQ would have been mitigated much, if at all. On that note, it seems like the only way to curb piracy in PC games these days is to require online accountability in some form, whether it be registration on an authentication server (a la Steam) or a subscription model (a la WoW), and even then this truly only applies to multiplayer games.

Whether this would've worked for Iron Lore and TQ is another discussion, but given Blizzard's success with Diablo 2 and battle.net, it's plausible. Developing in a genre whose main demographic consists of older, mature gamers who are willing to actually pay for games shouldn't be the only solution to profitability in the PC gaming market. Hell, I might even call it "selling out," ironically (the turn-based strategy genre isn't exactly huge, after all), but I gotta admit, even if grudgingly, that PC gaming inexplicably focuses on genres that generate buzz but not necessarily sales.

Clearly the majority of PC users cannot or will not pony up for a relatively expensive decent gaming machine, so why is the media so fixated on games that push the technological envelope? Even if the industry as a whole feels this is the only way the PC can remain competitive with consoles, WoW remains as the one glaring exception to this rule. Obviously PCs are more capable in some aspects of gaming than consoles, so it remains to be seen if any developer has the cajones to explore these possibilities. And I don't mean more MMOs.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    jimmies, absurd amount of advertising seems like the way to go. Give it away for free so no one pirates it, and let the ads take care of the money. Maybe give a flat fee option to get rid of ads/add more things.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm more likely to pirate the game with the protection cracked. ... And companies that develop these titles shouldn't blame piracy for that.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Get the fuck off Cloud 9.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Read this a few days ago and while a lot of it makes sense, he does come off as a bit of an ass. He says "these days" people make games because they want to be treated like rockstars, and those people are the ones losing money to piracy because they don't make 100% mass market or casual games ... bollocks.
    Back before "these days", people made games for the fun of it, or to challenge themselves, or just to create something cool. I bet that a really large amount of the successful games companies today have roots back in the days when someone wanted to try something new with a computer ... I don't think Epic, id, Infinity Ward, Bioware or any of the "famous name" companies were started up purely from a profitable business standpoint.

He is right that to get a good market share these days, it's a bad idea to just target the high-end PC/hardcore gamer market (see the spectacular commercial failure of Crysis for example), since even if it's a good game, your market is far too small to make any sensible return on the huge budget (although then you can do stuff like engine licensing to get those profits back, as a lot of the FPS devs are doing now).

I don't think that sort of thing encourages piracy though. Piracy is just there because it's possible to do things like that and get away with it without any repercussions. And I don't think that just developing a mass-market or casual title will save you from piracy, it'll just mean that you get more money from the customer base (which is partly his point)... but still, his article reads like a personal puff piece more than a useful insight into where the games industry should go.

Also, check out COD4 for a strange example - it's been a huge commercial success, it also manages to cover a lot of the "hardcore" market while still staying comfortably mainstream, and it actually has very high levels of piracy (look at a server list any day of the week and count the number of servers with "cracked" in the title).

Meh. I didn't like his article... although I do agree with some of it.
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    Have to say i dont know what crysis cost to make and i dread to think how much EA spent on marketing it but it had sold over a million by january at the least, so i dont think its done too bad.

crysis sales

Would be very interested in seeing exact current sales figures if anyone can get them.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I am i am going to make a game about pirates.I blame toby gard.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I am i am going to make a game about pirates.I blame toby gaaard.
  • Cricket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cricket polycounter lvl 18
    I am i am going to make a game about pirates.I blame toby gaaard.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is anyone really surprised that the games/apps made specifically for customers who have the know how to build their own custom system, are the ones hit hardest by piracy? I don't think it hurts to include the PC market just don't bank on it.

This guy points out nothing new, move along...
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Have to say i dont know what crysis cost to make and i dread to think how much EA spent on marketing it but it had sold over a million by january at the least, so i dont think its done too bad.

crysis sales

Would be very interested in seeing exact current sales figures if anyone can get them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that is sell-in and not sell-through, which would explain why the NPD figures are different from the EA numbers.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm more likely to pirate the game with the protection cracked. I also won't buy a game that looks best with the latest and greatest graphics hardware (Crysis). And companies that develop these titles shouldn't blame piracy for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying you pirate games that have copy protection systems or high system specs...but developers shouldn't blame you for pirating it, they should blame the system specs they targetted or the fact that they tried to stop you from pirating it?

Get. Fucked. After those development teams put years of their life into developing those games, the fact that you have the audacity to say "IT'S YOUR FAULT I DIDN'T PAY TO PLAY YOUR PRODUCT" is fucking ridiculous.

Those are the most common and flimsiest rationalizations behind piracy (although "I ONLY WANT TO SPEND MONEY ON GAMES THAT ARE GOOD...so I'll pirate this game and play it for 10 hours. and then this game and play it for 10 hours...and then this game and play it for ten hours...I ONLY BUY LONG GAMES THAT ENTERTAIN ME FOR 30 HOURS).

Piracy exists, not because of the product's quality (hell, the only games that won't get pirated are the games that are so terrible they're not worth your overnight torrent download) or any mitigating market factors - piracy exists because people want something that they value for nothing. They offer up flimsy rationalizations to allow them to feel good about themselves, and it's only when a game is so mindblowingly good that they break down and buy it after they pirate it, because it blows their rationalization away.

But that game that got 70% in PC Gamer that you downloaded and played for 9 hours deserved to be bought just as much as that game that got a 95% and game of the year that you downloaded and played and later bought.

People are selfish, and take things for free when they can. There is nothing more to the cause of piracy, and any justifications people offer up are them merely trying to settle their conscious with the fact that they ripped a developer off because they could.

The fact that Stardock spent a long time developing office applications to supplement their income because their PC games weren't profitable seems strangely missing from their editorial. I don't think they were saying the same thing six years ago when they didn't have two successful niche titles under their belt.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    [ QUOTE ]
    And while not actually naming them, it nicely explains what epic is doing wrong and why they think the PC market stinks (they just announced that UE4 will be console only at first).

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmmmmm, maybe it´s just me but I couldn´t relate that article to Epic or UE4 in any way? Do you HONESTLY think epic is focussing on the console market because of PC game piracy? confused.gif

Also, the writer of that article claims to be 'reasonably good at business´. But somehow he doesn´t seem to have the slightest clue why gaming magazines dont have covers with spaceships on them instead of Lara Croft for example. The guy is incredibly shortsighted in my opinion.

PS: Sorry for the crappy english, it´s not my native language blush.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

Also, the writer of that article claims to be 'reasonably good at business´. But somehow he doesn´t seem to have the slightest clue why gaming magazines dont have covers with spaceships on them instead of Lara Croft for example. The guy is incredibly shortsighted in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the sake of being pedantic, that's marketing, not business. tongue.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Get the fuck off Cloud 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    Get. Fucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi guys. Thanks for contributing to this discussion. I'm grateful you're so willing to admit your difficulties in reading the English language. Context is an important aspect. And the article was very long. Your feelings towards my preference to avoid the purchase of games with copy protection and system taxing (often unstable) design decisions, fills my heart with confidence that we can all express tolerance towards those with differing opinions than the average game fuel chugging consumer whore. Go Marketing!

Fact is, I don't pirate games. I simply don't buy them. Unless it's something I believe is worth buying. If something included makes the simple act of game enjoyment more of a hassle for me, I don't send them my money. If a developer fails to spark my interest, oh well. Sucks to be them.

In closing, in a language you can understand, go fuck yourself.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    One thing that people often miss out when dealing with piracy protection is that less developed countries gamers are being seriously disadvantaged. I was still living in south africa when half life 2 was released and after about six months I bought the game.

I put the discs in and installed (on cd) and couldnt wait to play the game. Then steam popped up...what is this crap!? was my first thought. Then it said I needed an internet connection, in south africa these arent so common but we had dail up,so I got wires running across my house in order to connect. Then when it finally connects it starts to install all sorts of steam stuff and updates, this took no less than 5 hours and in south africa we pay for the internet per hour. So I had effectively bought half the game again by the time it had installed. Alot of people there in south africa wouldnt be as lucky or as patient as me, for them piracy and no steam sounded a much much better option.

I know currently people in south africa do have access to broadband but in my opinion its still the elite few that can actually play games that include such anti-piracy measures and Im pretty sure this is the same for most of the non-westernised world.

apparently its estimated that only about 1 percent of the worlds population has computers. If you ask me theres bigger issues to spend money on than piracy.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    ElysiumGX said:[ QUOTE ]

difficulties in reading the English language. Context is an important aspect.

Fact is, I don't pirate games.

[/ QUOTE ]
    If you don't pirate games, why did you say:
    [ QUOTE ]

I'll pirate the expensive stuff, for the eyecandy, and move on to something else with more compelling gameplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether or not piracy is the biggest reason why the PC game market is becoming increasingly dry and why more developers are moving over to consoles and then porting to the PC as an after-thought, if they port it at all, is certainly debatable.

I don't believe that "piracy is a problem" is debatable, nor do I believe that there are any valid moral justifications to pirate a game.

Ged said:
    [ QUOTE ]

apparently its estimated that only about 1 percent of the worlds population has computers. If you ask me theres bigger issues to spend money on than piracy.

[/ QUOTE ]
    There are certainly many big problems in the world that would benefit from funding and the caring and volunteered time of many people. But donating your stockholder's money to take care of people instead of developing and trying to sell a game is not really good business sense and "there are many problems in the world" doesn't really have much bearing on a discussion about industry and business practices smile.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmmmmm, maybe it´s just me but I couldn´t relate that article to Epic or UE4 in any way? Do you HONESTLY think epic is focussing on the console market because of PC game piracy? confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

no, they are switching to consoles because their latest games sold very bad on the PC. The article explains why they sold so bad:
    1. because they targeted a very small customer base only
    and
    2. because they ALSO targeted a potential customer base where piracy is especially high.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You appear to be taking small statements from my posts, and defining them as you choose.

[ QUOTE ]
    The fact that Stardock spent a long time developing office applications to supplement their income because their PC games weren't profitable seems strangely missing from their editorial. I don't think they were saying the same thing six years ago when they didn't have two successful niche titles under their belt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a smart strategy for a company that makes strategy games, eh? Fact, Stardock is still around, and is most likely secure in funding for larger game developments, like an MMORTS. Even after the Starforce controversy, Stardock continues to release games without copy protection, and provide support for their products. Stardock is only a publisher of Sins of a Solar Empire, a game I've heard great things about from the few I know that bought and played it.

And so, I take this editorials credability and experience far above THQ "There's a lot of stupid people out there." CEO's rant about piracy. Therefore, I see no debate on the effects of piracy. It's not something you're going to affect, without angering or misguiding those who play no part in it. The real discussion is the need for an effective business model for PC game developers. One that more accurately plays to its customer base. As a company, Stardock was smart enough to start small and secure its financial future as a developer/publisher. A strategy many start-ups can learn from.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]
    donating your stockholder's money to take care of people instead of developing and trying to sell a game is not really good business sense and "there are many problems in the world" doesn't really have much bearing on a discussion about industry and business practices smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said any money should be taken from the development of the game, I was talking about the money being used to create elaborate anti-piracy procedures that could be better used. Perhaps on the game itself or perhaps on poverty aid or something similar, if more people in more countries had access to computers then games would be more widely accepted and more profitable. Besides all this, Im not the kind of person which would run a business with the core goal of making a profit, so to me the fact that "there are bigger problems in the world" does actually have a profound impact on business practices.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Go the microsoft route. Bill gates made the biggest profits he possibly could, and now that he's filthy rich, he's giving his money away to charity. If he'd just started from the beginning giving his money away, he'd never get rich enough to help people smile.gif That's why I plan to get filthy rich and give it away when I die.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I'll just drop my few cents on how piracy actually works. I used to pirate pretty heavily in my younger days, something I've mostly moved away from now when I have a steady income. (I'll confess to downloading episodes of certain TV-series from time to time, and games that I have already pre-ordered and paid for, which for some inexplicable reason don't get released here until much later than other regions).

From my experience, pirates are mostly collectors, gatherers. They often thrive in having volumes of data that they don't need, and won't ever use. They get a kick out of downloading the latest game that has leaked onto the Internet for the sheer fact that it has leaked onto the Internet, and they get access to it before most other people do. It doesn't mean they will install it, and play it.

Kotaku had an article recently about how they monitored mininova to see how many copies were downloaded of certain games, and the results showed that some 25,000 people had downloaded the leaked preview build of Assassin's Creed, and almost 13,000 had downloaded Frontlines: Fuel of War.

Now, statistics can be made into look like anything. It's all about how you present it, and apply it. In the above examples what we see is a representation of the availability of these games, but only someone clueless (such as the RIAA and MPAA, and many publishers) take these numbers at face value.

From my experience I am willing to bet not even half of those 25,000 people paid any attention to the game once downloaded. Out of these roughly 13,000 people who remembered they had downloaded it, only 8,000 people would actually unpack it. Out of these people some 2,000 would not be able to install it properly and not be able to run it. Now there's 6,000 people remaining whom installed the game, and made it run. Out of these people roughly 3,000 will play it for a few minutes and realise they'd rather go and do something else, which leaves us with 3,000 people actually playing the game. Out of these people, how many would have paid for the game hadn't it been piratable?

We don't know. You don't know. I don't know. Not even the pirates know. How accurate are the numbers I'm presenting above? Not very accurate, but they are probably as accurate as any guess would be.

Now, I'm not defending the pirates. I'm not saying piracy isn't a problem. We all agree that piracy doesn't help the industry. Fine. But what are we going to do about it? I suppose we could whine about it, like some of you do, but fact is you are only wasting your breath and energy up on your high moral stallions. We can put more onerous copy protection schemes on the products, and the only ones who would suffer are the legitimate customers. We can force ISP's to monitor their customers' Internet usage and have them cut the Internet connection of suspicious people, and create an oppressive Orwellian climate which would lead to free, open parallel alternate networks to emerge.

So what are we up against? Like it or not, we're up against human nature. We're up against the fact that piracy, among a large group of people, have evolved into a socially accepted norm where these people don't perceive their activites as being illegal. Also, if you've read all this and think I'm heading towards some kind of insightful conclusion, I have to disappoint you and say I don't have one, but I'll say this much: The Internet is, and will remain, a wild, wild west. We need to realise that our civilised ideals aren't applicable here. Our age old concepts of ownership also don't apply as cleanly as they once did.

Anyways, enough rambling for tonight confused.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    East won the thread.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Is it wrong that I want copy protection that actually works? Would that somehow punish the consumers?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    East well said.

I wonder just ham many less pirated copy's of games are downloaded when there is a demo of a game?

I know i used to download games back in the day so i could see if it was fun to me. I would play until i got bored or until i finished the first level/mission. If i finished the first level/mission then i would buy it. Now that most games have a playable demos i can just play that to get a feel of the game. If the game doesn't have a demo then i can see good reason for it to be pirated. Then again maybe that was just me.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with points made by both sides, and often I can't decide which side to take ethically. I will say though that sometimes it is so much easier or makes more sense to pirate something than to buy it. For example, when I was learning Photoshop way way back in the day I couldn't even come close to paying for a copy, and even a student copy was too expensive. I ended up pirating it, and later on when I started doing commercial work I obtained a legal copy. Now I have Adobe CS2, but I really like the way the layers box works in CS3 (it's the only new feature I like) so I pirated it instead of pay a huge fee for such a tiny upgrade.

Sometimes I can't afford a game. Most times I'll just wait until it's cheap, but if I've been looking forward to it forever I'll pirate it and get a copy later. I can understand both sides and I know that the industry is affected by piracy, but to be honest I wouldn't have bought the game when I pirated anyway. I think I am the exception amongst my pirate friends though. I have a friend who has an entire 120gb HDD completely filled with pirated music and he listens to maybe like 8gb of that. He has never payed for a CD in his life.

A perfect example of what I think is a good business model is what Adobe did with Flex. The builder is usually $249, but they offer it completely free to students (you just have to scan a tuition bill or an ID). When I got the chance to use it for a commercial product I got it legally and it payed off. I probably would have never bothered if it wasn't free.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I can think of a solution to piracy, but it's far worse than the problem itself, from a moral standpoint, IMO.

The thing that's always kept me from downloading pirated software (which, from what I hear, will backfire anyway and keep me out of the industry due to my lack of recent experience with $4500 modeling packages since graduation-- but that'll teach me to obey laws) was the potential hazard that peer to peer networks pose to your system.

When I was in school, gnutella network clients were all the rage with my classmates for getting access to industry-standard software without going into insurmountable credit card debt. (I know, it's not something that's spoken of. But I'm not naming names or anything.) But the vast amounts of malware that pollute those networks was messing up people's machines left and right. So rather than risk losing all my work due to a hard drive crash or whatever (which ended up happening anyway, as such is life), I decided to risk the debt on as much as I could and go without the rest. I'll skip any further violin chatter about how that's been working out. But my point is that if people wanted to stop piracy, they could use all sorts of indirect Draconian methods to make it more risky by populating the channels pirates use with even more digital nastiness.

It wouldn't stop it entirely, of course. Because some people are connected or just lucky, and would still get everything they want without any trouble. But it'd probably cut down on it slightly.
  • eggnog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gamasutra Article from last month in case some missed it.
    92% Piracy rate

Follow up

Its about a casual game(ricochet) dev who found they had 92% piracy when they compared copies sold vs. people playing online.

They also found that when they put in harder to crack anti-piracy protection they would gain 1 additional sale for every 1000 pirated copies they eliminated. Thats a pretty sad figure.

So how do you fight that? I really don't think ignoring pirates because they wont pay anyways is the right way to go. Not being able to pay or not wanting to is no excuse. I would really love to drive around a Ferrari but just because I couldn't afford to doesn't give me the right to steal one and use it or store it in my garage to look at.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    So how do you fight that? I really don't think ignoring pirates because they wont pay anyways is the right way to go. Not being able to pay or not wanting to is no excuse. I would really love to drive around a Ferrari but just because I couldn't afford to doesn't give me the right to steal one and use it or store it in my garage to look at.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sticking up for piracy, but I hate that analogy. A lot of people try to use something similar. If someone could go buy one Ferrari, copy it at absolutely no cost 10 million times, and give them out for free to anyone who wanted one without getting in trouble you wouldn't do it? I sure as fuck would like that.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah Sonic and that's the problem - a Ferrari is a real thing, and people will come and arrest you if you stole a car. If you steal a game, though... that's much more nebulous, it doesn't really "exist", nothing ever really happens (to most people anyway)... so they just keep on doing it and act like it's normal.

If random strangers just kept getting into your car every day and expecting free rides like it's their right, I think you'd start getting a bit pissed off...

I'd think of piracy more as something like patent theft - if someone patents something, TECHNICALLY you can go off and steal the idea and make tons of your own version for knock off prices (or even better, try to sell the idea to other people without ever building a single "real" thing), but there are tons of well-established laws in place to heavily prosecute people trying to do this. The same just isn't true for piracy because it's so easy to come by.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I'm curious to see how EA's new Battlefield game will work with ads. No one would even consider pirating it because it's free, but they still make a lot of money because people are forced to see the ads. I know this is unrealistic for smaller game developers because they don't have huge connections, but I wouldn't mind seeing more games like that. I'm curious to see the piracy figures of primarily single player experiences like Oblivion compared to primarily multiplayer experiences like UT3, Shadowrun, etc.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    MoP: Like the car theft one, that's a bad analogy; pirates, for the most part, are not making money off piracy. (yes, I'm aware of the software piracy situation in china)

I'm not pro-piracy, but I think it's something we're going to have to accept as a downside to keeping the internet as the free, open virtual world it is. I would much rather have piracy on a wild-wild-west internet than higher video games sales and a tight, monitored, restricted internet. We'll come up with better encryption I'm sure, and the hackers will hack it... who knows what will happen once quantum computer becomes a consumer norm.

We all agree that we should just keep on trying new ways to secure games without being dicks to consumers, and the hackers will continue to find ways around that security. Se la vis.

For the record, I haven't pirated a game in 3+ years... were I to pirate a game, it would only be to make sure it was worth my money before I bought it. They let you test drive cars before you buy them, after all.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I know this is unrealistic for smaller game developers because they don't have huge connections, but I wouldn't mind seeing more games like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it seems to be fairly viable for smaller devs. A local guy in Vancouver started up a small company, just him and his wife, doing online free to play games. http://www.maidmarian.com/

Apparently they're doing fairly well. Not sure of the exact numbers right now, but I think I remember hearing something like 1,000,000 unique hits a month.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All I see is a bunch of douche bags saying "yeah pirates are evil, but I use that shit every once in a while so I really don't want anything to happen to it. I mean... its such a big problem we might as well not ever try and tackle it".
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Unless it's something I believe is worth buying.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll pirate the expensive stuff, for the eyecandy, and move on to something else with more compelling gameplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    I would play until i got bored or until i finished the first level/mission. If i finished the first level/mission then i would buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    were I to pirate a game, it would only be to make sure it was worth my money before I bought it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this a lot with people who casually pirate stuff. It seems to boil down to 'What is the value of this game to me as a consumer?' Are these games really worth the $60? What am I getting for that $60? A lot of times the answer is 'Not very much.'
    For an FPS, about 8-10hrs of pretty much the same since Doom/Quake, a few innovations here and there but overall about the same. (Let's not even go into sports games.) And how many countless times have we been promised the world and been given 40 acres and half a mule?

You used to be able to take sucky games back to the store and get your money back. Now you are lucky to get $5 in trade-in value on a brand new game (only to have it turned around and sold for $5 less than retail).

Companies used to be able to get away with producing crap and getting it to sell reasonably.. Now we are in the digital age and every opinion is out there for the world to see... and expectations are astronomically higher than they used to be.

Last PC game I bought was World of Warcraft nearly 3 years ago. Before that HalfLife 2 about 6 months after release. For me there is not a lot of value in PC gaming. Even though I only buy a 2-5 console games a year, they are worth the money I put into them. My hardware will always run them, no gajillion processes running in teh background, consistent framerates, bigger screen, better controls, my friends can borrow them or come over to play, multiplayer on one screen is a blast and it's way more comfy to sit on the couch and play.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    If the game isn't worth the price they place on it, if the game is the same 8-10 hours of the same since doom/quake with few innovations....then don't buy it...also don't pirate it then lament about how it isn't worth what they're charging for it.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If the game isn't worth the price they place on it, if the game is the same 8-10 hours of the same since doom/quake with few innovations....then don't buy it...also don't pirate it then lament about how it isn't worth what they're charging for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's where another problem lies:

Publisher A puts out a game, it sucks, but a few million people pirate it. Publisher A blames the poor sales on piracy, and learns a lesson, don't make games that are easy to pirate.

Where as if no one pirated it...

Publisher A puts out a game, it sucks. Very few people buy it. Publisher A blames this on the game sucking (rightly so), and learns a lesson, don't make crappy games if you want to make money.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Simply put i grew up on shareware, so when that died i moved on to pirating games because i wanted to try it before i would buy it. Even today allot of pc games don't have demos. If you don't let people try it before you ask them to fork over $60 of course they will find ways around you.

I hardly ever play games on my pc now days because i have a 360 and i can get a demo of about any game on that. I think that this generation that grew up in the post shareware world pirates because they just want it but don't want to pay for it. I don't think they care any bit about buying it unless its so cool that they want to support the company who made it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I once pirated games but then I grew a brain, a dick, and a heart.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    What the hell is onerous? How does a guy who speaks English as a second language know more words than me? I are dumb frown.gif.

Good post East. I think probably the best and most effective way to combat piracy is to create games that use the "micro-transaction" business model, where the core game is free and you purchase points or credits to unlock certain features. That way you avoid the intrusive copy protection measures (which pisses off legitimate customers), and you also expand your user-base since all of those swashbuckling pirates are now going to be legitimate users who d/l the game for free. Of course, this really only works for online games where you can have the user log-in to verify which features they have unlocked.

(I didn't actually read the article, so I'm not sure if I'm just rehashing something that's already been discussed)