Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Johan Carlsson

Alright, thought I'd try and make a sketchbook as well. Since there will be a couple of interesting assignments coming up at school.
You're free to say what ever you think about the stuff I upload. Crit me :] just don't flood my poorly drawn concepts with crits. Still learning lots from just drawing anything, hehe.

I'll just dump whatever might be fun posting so a lot of junk might find its way here :P
Hopefully we'll see some improvements in skills.

Have a good one folks!

Replies

• Johan Carlsson
    Received a task this morning. Make a lowpoly for a portable system. It's gonna be from either WW1, WW2, WW3, a bloodsport or a fable. Limit 500 tri char with a 128 texture. A prop, 100 tri @ 64 texture, and a vehicle @ 400 tri 256 tex. Done until friday morning. Decided to do a ut3 inspired girl, bloodsports of course, and a matching vehicle.

Here's what the concept looks like:
    TIciXYbiU.jpg

Still learning my ways, maybe I'll learn how to draw one day too :P That's atleast close to what I want to be modeling.

Another update tomorrow!
  • Johan Carlsson
    Weho, just poses left now :P Everyone should get a fish-board to surf around on!

hSKlwLGxL.jpg
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    nice dude! This character really came together... The board and gun definitely round it out just right. What's next?
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good! I would suggest changing the angle of your last render because right now the board kind of looks like giant sneakers. More of a profile for the board might suit better.
  • Johan Carlsson
    Another update on that same pose. Will add more poses in a moment tho, adding some IK to her legs, was sort of annoying to fit them to the board without IK ;P

pfGqPoVUd.jpg

QhoMrKWmz.jpg
    The concept pose! ^^ Almost

Fixed some contrast on the textures aswell. Fixed the face too smile.gif
  • Johan Carlsson
    Here's a better pose Keen! My favorite so far :P

LcxbvkQCc.jpg

Next up for the sketchbook will probably be some sketches and concepts, and models from our coming school project. We're gonna get started on it next week and hopefully I'll get some nice content done during those 8 weeks that I can post here on Polycount. And hopefully get some interesting and helpful crits smile.gif

Gaah! Just realised her head is too small >.< Will have to add another picture ^^

Here she is again:
    akpBFViIf.jpg

Oh! And the concept for the fish-board ;D
    oudmyJpUU.jpg
  • Johan Carlsson
    Ok, last post for tonight. Wirez:

IseTOZFDz.jpg

Enough spamage for today wink.gif
  • Johan Carlsson
    DrHYbsMxB.jpg

One of the 3d art schools in sweden launched a character competition between the 3d art students in sweden just a couple of weeks ago. This is my concept entry so far. Now I have like 2 weeks to finish off a highpoly, lowpoly and get the maps needed to make it look good. We're allowed to use 2048x2048 Normal maps, diffuse, ambient, specular etc. Tri limit at 8k.

And the guideline is this:
    "Late one night a scream shivers through the walls of a small house in a rural community. The parents rush to little Sara’s room to find out what all the commotion is about. Sara’s face is pale and she’s rambling about this horrible thing that came to visit her in the nightmare she had just experienced. The terrifying thing that came to haunt her was a…

Tagline: “It came from my nightmare”

Your concept may be anything that seems fitting to terrify little Sara that night. Exactly what you decide to create is up to you. Our Jury will be the judges for deciding if it is fitting or not."

The idea about the character is that it's little Sarahs mother, or atleast half her face is. The other half of her face does not look as gentle as the one shown towards Sarah. And the goal this character has is to lure Sarah close enough with her mothers face, and perhaps voice to be able to eat her :P

This is what I imagined the head to be like, where the top two heads are the two sides of her head and the third is when she opens her mouth, wide. :P

zXtsmBpfP.jpg
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    haha nice stuff, I dig the lowpoly, keep it up!
  • Johan Carlsson
    Even if this is no one day doodle I still feel that this is the place to post it :P There are some errors I would have liked to change in it, but this is what I manage to get together in two weeks time, modelwise :) I think that's what I'm mostly happy with, that I actually managed to keep the deadline ^^

Anyway - Here's the snakemommy in its beautyshot:

XWBHZounA.jpg

And here's the competition that I made it for: www.theshowdown.se
  • Johan Carlsson
    I've finally decided what design I was going to give the sword that my elf would be carrying around :)

gCaFaMyDD.jpg
  • Ironwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like youre low poly stuff, thats super cool
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    If you put some more time and effort into the texture work for the arms + head, that Mother monster would be dynamite :)
  • Johan Carlsson
    Heh, thanks Ironwolf!
    RazorBladder, I'll try and add some more detail to those bits ^^ Also, I have to sort her hair out.
  • Johan Carlsson
    On another thought, I might just ditch that Mother character cause it's just not worth making better. :P Might just add new and better stuff instead. Anyway, here's some stuff done the last couple of weeks of school!

Had to temporarily remove the images >.<

(made from a concept by James Hawkins) www.hawkprey.com
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Oh. I'm very sure I saw that first image (of your latest post) somewhere before but it didnt lookas good then :) Good work
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    actually that image looks a lot like the one here: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=53408 except yours is more finished. you guys attend the same school?
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    hehe yeah we are from the same class :P and yes his level is much more finished, T_T
  • Johan Carlsson
    Thank you Kawe!

And yea, like Jonas said, we attend the same school and class, hehe.