Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Post afrogalypse - Finished School project.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Karl Stjernberg polycounter lvl 10
Hello everyone!

After about 5-6 weeks of work on this guy doing a school project, it's finally finished!
The idea was basically a frog-mutant, stranded in a post apocalyptic wasteland, friends only with his shotgun and geiger-counter.
(That thing in the back is supposed to be a robot with a big bullet in it, with only the head being visible, due to years and years of slowly sinking into an ever expanding wasteland.)
So yeah, the whole post apocalyptic thing is probably pretty run into the ground by now, but I kinda liked the idea and decided to stick with it anyway. Not too original, I give you that!

So why am I posting this? Well, to get critique, helpful hints on what I could have done different and, you know, that sort of thing. Please just let me know what you think of it!

01.jpg
02.jpg

04wire.jpg
4508 poly character. (Not including the props and the background.)

Replies

• Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    <3 Karl, about time you posted here tongue.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Creative crits: I read Afrogalypse and didn't get past "Afro". I assumed it was some kind of post-nuclear world where only jive talkin' black folks from the 70's with huge afros survived...which would be funny, but frogs are cool too.

An orange life preserver is a bit ironic on an amphibian...was that intended to be funny/ironic? Especially since he's apparently crashed in the desert... He needs a jar of freeze-dried flies or something clever.

Robot head is totally unclear what it is. Id typed a whole bit saying "what the hell is that thing he's sitting against" then re-read the post and thought...now that I know what it is...I still don't see it.

Technical:
    The pixel density on the ground texture is way low by comparison to the objects in the scene and throwing me eyes off. Shotgun and Frogman look pretty fantastic though. Materials seem to really be working well for me. The belts on his life preserver should be perfectly straight representing the necessary tension to hold it together so tightly. The curvature you've got in there strikes me as unnatural.

Anyway, nice work! Conceptually could have been clearer, but seems to be fairly well executed technically, even if you could have been much more economical with your polycount.
  • Karl Stjernberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh yeah, as I read the thread name again I couldnt NOT think about your version of it. Damn!

The life preserver is supposed to be a bit ironic, the character being a frog and all, but I also wanted the feel of him grabbing just every piece of equipment he could find. You know, like everything that can act as armor and protection against hazards is good enough for him.

I've heard people trying to figure out what "that thing in the background" really is, someone actually though it was his house, so I totally agree with you on that one - It should really look more like a robot.

The whole thing about me being better with saving polys - I can not agree with you more on that one. The more I look at it, the more things become painfully obvious in the "too much polys there buddy"-department.
    Oh well, I'll definitely have that in mind when working on future projects!

Thank you very much for the crits!
  • SubPablo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    Suddenly I have an overwealming desire to watch Hell Comes to Frogtown! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqEBcTUIeh8
  • Karl Stjernberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my God! If only I had seen that earlier I would have included the three snakes!
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I think you just need to lose the ring its all sitting on ...expand the ground out. I think that will help the giant robot seem more plausible. He could probably have used more of a head describing peice like a metal jaw too.

Good fun peice...I like these
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I keep wanting to ask this on these pieces, did you have a higher poly u created the normal map from?

How'd u do the tape?
  • Karl Stjernberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, they're made with transfer maps from a higher poly version to this lower one.
    The tapes made the very same way.