Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Levin - Baculao

levin
polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
levin polycounter lvl 16
LATEST UPDATE

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi guys, long time lurker here. I was under the CGsociety flag last DW... now Ima try be one of the hardcore greentooths this time around. gringif

at first what came to mind was a stealth type, with a pair of lighning batons

then i came up with a heavy-armored gorilla-like reptilian behemoth. i just want it to give the feeling of power and strength

a friend suggested i put the initial female on top of the behemoth like a beast tamer, love the idea but i'm thinking of texture space issues. the polygons given are generously enough for 2 characters but not the textures..

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Hiya Levin! Great start on the concepts. I feel the gorilla is too bestial to hold his own as a character. Bring in some human qualities if you want to go that route, but I've seen a couple of pretty good gorilla warlords over on GA. I like the sexy baton female on the left, but I'd be curious to see what else you come up with with a little more exploration.
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    but I'd be curious to see what else you come up with with a little more exploration.

[/ QUOTE ]
    yup!
    (very nice so far)
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Very cool stuff. I think a gorilla can have a lot of character just dont put a mask on his face.
  • levin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    levin polycounter lvl 16
    thx guys! i appreciate the comments, you're right Davi, ima show more of his face.
    snowfly: i've heard the gorilla is 98% human, and it has always been a symbol of intelligence and strength, anyways i think it's cool when it walks on fours, especially with elbows outward.

update!!... ima start modeling now, gonna leave resolving the rest of the details at the modeling level.
    this is a bit long winded but here goes ( feel free to tldr ;-P)
    nica is an 8 year old girl whose treasure scavenging parents died in a bloody confrontation against the machine creatures. she managed to hide in the ruins they were searching, but the creatures somehow found her. as they are closing accidentaly stumbled upon an ancient emerald necklace,and as she lays her hands on the gem, it suddenly glows and the heap of armors nearby began to stir. out of nowhere a large beast forms from within the armor and defends her just in time from the incoming attackers. shocked at what has happened, she does not realize that the emerald in the necklace borrows a bit of her life force; amplifies it and then resonates with the emerald gems in the armor. the creature clad in armor is the spirit of the Warlord Galumda, champion of the Baculao, an ancient warrior race. they now have a symbiotic relationship, the warrior offers his strength to defend nica, which lends a bit of her life force to let him experience life once more.
  • levin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    levin polycounter lvl 16
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Nice gorilla, I really like those hands.
  • levin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    levin polycounter lvl 16
    well i wasnt able to work on this last week, and im having second thoughts about my design. it feels so uninspired and weak. i'm thinking it doesn't feel post-apo and futuristic at all. on top of that i think i will be having problems with texture space, considering the limited specs given. anyways i'm not giving up yet. here's another concept keeping post-apocalyptic in mind. i hope i finish it in time

he's not really a warrior, just a scavenger for trade. but in his job he will have to defend himself from the machine menace. he has done it well tho, well enough to have him accredited into the polycount corps.

he wears an artifact mask that magically gives him agility and 360. he found the mask accidentaly in one of his scavenging trips.

i think post apocalyptic means materials will be scarce, and mostly crude weapons will do. since machines will be his opponent most of the time, short swords and knifes will not do. so i gave him a grenade lancher and a big hammer for weapons. the hammer can split into a flail like weapon if he ever needs to get some range.
  • levin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    levin polycounter lvl 16
    what i have so far

i decided to make him less human... cuz the rules say we can, why not do it ^^