Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: BoBo

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
This is something I’ve been working on off and on for a year now.
I didn’t really like the direction it was going but liked the general proportions so I re-sketched a new design on top of it and printed the rough out as a watermark and penciled it up.
terran_WIP04.jpg
The pencils:
Terran_Concept.jpg
Next, I did a color wash over my pencils and blocked in the basic colors. Once I had something I liked color wise, I overlaid my pencils once again and started painting up the details.
terran_WIP05.jpg

Wip6
terran_WIP06.jpg

Update:
terran_WIP07.jpg

This is a sketch/concept I did back on Titan Quest and have never really shown it
TQ_Jungle_Creep.jpg

A sketch for a girl character I’d like to see in 3d someday:
Bromwyn.jpg

Some skin tone studies:
SkinToneStudies01.jpg
HumanMaleHead01.jpg

I have some pencil work I’ll post once I get them scanned in.

- BoBo

Replies

• buddy the designer
    Top notch work, I like Titan Quest concept the most of them all. Ah and port that first character to UTIII :]
  • rybeck
    Very nice works, Bobo.. Love skin test works a lot.. I think I will do similar test soon.
  • Thurban
    damn BoBo!!! I keep loving your work man! I had to save that image above of the 4 faces - it was cool to see you approach different races and skin tone with just such subtle changes. Very cool.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for running through your workflow, mate. It's always interesting to see how others go about creating their artwork.
    The skin tone studies are great! I'm so shit with colour that I really should be doing stuff like that. Straight into the reference library :P

-caseyjones
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    i would like to see that character girl in 3d too!
  • ocarian
    Offline / Send Message
    ocarian polycounter lvl 16
    Excelent work Bobo

good concept
    I like your style
  • kakikukeko
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    Nice, the girl reminds me a little bit of Vampire Hunter D.. (A great movie btw wink.gif )
    Cool rework on the first character too..
    but what about your DW3 entry uh? laugh.gif
  • Slingshot
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Hey awesome stuff as always. I learned to use a single pixel brush from you back when you did that Darth Maul paint over .psd, which seems like a bazillion years ago now. Your stuff Rocks man! Keep inspiring future generations of game artists!grin.gif

DOWIII Entry
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    good to see you are still rocking man !
  • TWilson
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet stuff Bobo. I like that you're not afraid of bold colors. I need to try more of that.
  • rebel
    Fantastic work man..
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I updated the top post with my pencils s for the Armored guy

Here are a few pages form my sketchbook:
    sketch007.jpg
    sketch012.jpg
    sketch011.jpg
    sketch008.jpg
    sketch009.jpg
    sketch010.jpg

- BoBo
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Always inspired when I see your work man, great stuff.
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I like your style bobo, your characters all feel like they come from the same universe. I particularly like seeing how you give your stuff a definite and soft dimensionality... got any stuff of yours from 5+ years ago? Looks like you've really developed your style, would be cool to see some earlier stages of its evolution. I vaguely remember looking through some old wip directory listing on your website with super old drawings... are those still around? (yep, they sure are, just found the dir again... I'll leave it up to you if you want to bother posting any of it here smile.gif)
  • kary
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Well put by Ferg there, they do fit together in a same universe sort of way. Great stuff.
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    that looks great! love your sketches and the expressions of the characters. What kind of blue pencil do you use for them? just a regular blue pencil wink.gif or is it something specific?
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I updated the top post with my latest progress on the Armor guy. I think I’ll be finished in one more setting. I need to figure out what I want to do with the loin cloth. I’m not very happy with the current design. I might simplify it a bit.

Ferg: Heh, I'll let people find that old stuff if they would like. smile.gif

Japhir: Honestly, I don't know the brand I'm using at the moment but I use a combination of blue lead and mechanical pencils.

- BoBo
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    seen your sketchbook on Ca too and i must say i love your style
    the armored guy i really great, i like the details en the coloring :)
    keep it up

greetz
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the head I quickly put together for my demonstration at the Diverge Workshop this past weekend. I covered my process of sculpting and using zbrush to help develop textures.

Fathead.jpg

I've also been using Zbrush in my concept phase. I jump into a rough sculpt just to play around and experiment. Quick and dirty. All I’m looking for is to get the ideas down in 3d. It will all be thrown out once I work out the design I want to go with.

In this case, I had some questions about what I want to do with the head of Abe Sapien, so a bust was all I needed. 30 minute quick sketch from Zpheres
    Abe_QuickSketch01.jpg

Another quick sketch working from the first base. Just a 15 minute job.
    Abe_QuickSketch02.jpg

Still not sure what I want to do but this one is getting closer. I should have more progress on Abe very soon.

- BoBo
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Just when I was about to get over my craving for BoBo :P

I'm definately preferring the latter rendition of Abe, can't believe I missed ur previous update. The sketches just exude style, also liking how clean the linework is and the use of blue colour for additional shading and negative space.
  • kary
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    I've just started head sketches with Zbrush and I'm beginning to be able to appreciate how hard it is to do that in 30 and 15 minutes :). I prefer the second model as well. There seems to be more personality -- I do read it as aloof surprise, the (seeming) ruffled collar and an upturned nose put in symbols of aristocracy for me, but that is just a snap opinion.

Thanks for posting the image of your workshop sculpt, it's always good to see workflow sequences.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey Bobo! I'd be very curious to see the texture from the bottom right, applied as a 'oldschool' diffuse on the model, without normalmaps. I have the felling it would look great...

Oh and if I understand correctly, you quickly airbrushed some hues in Z3 using polypainting and somehow baked that down to a texture along with the Zbrush lighting/cavity, then painted further?

My only crit is that maybe the final texture might be a tiny bit too directional, when displayed under dynamic lights. Looking good tho!
  • Minimoose
    im really glad u got to come to the diverge workshop. i got like 4 pages of notes from you :) great stuff bobo
  • Marak
    Love the detail on the slug thing from Titan Quest and the paintwork on the first guy is awesome. What did you use?