Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Kary - Vates

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kary polycounter lvl 18
Latest:

intozbwithfauxmaterials.jpg

Seems like the time to start a thread, if I don't post something soon I'm apt to keep randomly doodling till April 7th.

I am just learning to draw (and find the transition to drawing with a tablet very hard for some reason), but I've been doodling over the last few days and didn't find any odd ideas worth pursuing:

conceptsps1.thumbnail.jpg

I thought about the generic girl with a 2 storey demonic dog:

conceptsps2gether.thumbnail.jpg

Then I realized if I am going to go generic, I might as well embrace it:

conceptsps9x2painter.jpg
conceptsps8.jpg

The drawings don't communicate well, but it will be a simple armoured figure. I haven't done an armoured male figure, so it's new to me at least. A lot of the influence I'm looking at is from Frazetta's Deathdealer. Very clean, elegant and simple -- capturing a part of that would be satisfying.

I'm a lot more comfortable with a 3d form to base things on, so I'm going to put together a figure early next week, and work out the detailed costume shapes on that. I'm also cleaning up the backstory, at the moment it's a bit long and ridiculous smile.gif

Replies

• kary
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    And now onto an extremely generic male high poly base: dom-war3-night2.jpg

Different problems doing generic muscled guy than the female characters I've been doing lately. A lot more landmarks, but it's easy to get lost in details and completely screw up major areas like the back. That'll be the main thing I work on fixing tomorrow night. There are also a disturbing number of details blown out (serratus look a little ridiculous, etc), but at least it is close to giving me something to draw the armour on.
  • kary
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    intozbwithfauxmaterials.jpg

The new sub-tools with materials thing in ZB is pretty neat. Painful when you have a lot of them, but it does keep it clearer. Having to change one material after unfreezing 15 pieces is a bit merciless though.

The colours I dumped on here don't reflect the final, horns will be bone or onyx, kilt will likely be very muted tartan with leather bits on the edgings, etc.

I'm pretty sure that I am going to have to remake some parts (IE: kilt), but I wanted to get it back into ZB to see how it works.

If anyone is interested in a turntable:
    http://www.karyblack.com/wip/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/goingbacktozb.mov unfortunately I can't save QT out of ZB for some reason, so it's just from where I left it in max.

I've got the weapon on paper now, going to take a crack at that soon. A pair of flails is the plan.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially if it looks like I'm verging on a cliff on anything technique wise -- learning as I go here.

*Oh and I'm undecided on a cuirass, this one might could work better in full tin can mode.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks good so far, the weapons gotta kick enemy ass! smile.gif
  • kary
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Ged: Thanks smile.gif Heres hoping it does. I tried to keep it tied together with the character and still be threatening. I know I wouldn't want to be hit with it, but this fellow isn't on the same level as a lot of them -- I think my character is approaching the role of henchman in a world of super villains with the results around here laugh.gif

I went with a flail. It let me pick up some of the shapes from the helmet, and it made sense to me to use a weapon that wouldn't direct vibration to your hands when going up against a bunch of metal enemies. Lordy chain links take a lot of polys though.

I'm glad I shifted from the character’s low poly to doing the weapon, I learned way too much doing this one. This is the first time I’ve dealt with a complicated inorganic object and theres a lot of depth to it… the mirroring, getting enough detail into the curves, not having sharp angles on the high poly, etc. All those horns that appear on both flail and character really soak up the polys too.

This one is getting close now, the big shapes seem clean, but there are still a few errors in the corners. I’ll have to see how it shakes down in the final map, but they should be small enough to clean out manually. I intended to give it 2700 polys and it hit pretty close, and about 1/4 of the map space (which is what is going on here), so that part is on track.

The UVs are not optimal, but I am learning tons about that as I go. The seams are pretty much out of the way, and as much as possible has been done with mirrored UVs. Slow progress getting the low poly of the character done, but running through the weapon should help that process a fair bit. It’s been nice to get some of these things nailed down (and to learn a whole ton of new question), but I do wish I was closer to done smile.gif

vateflail.jpg

When using SubObject arc rotate on the UVUnwrap modifier level it doesn't sync up with the selection and seems to work from the center of the object. Is that how it should work, and is there anyway around that?

I think I'll have another 50 questions by the end of this, and it looks like few of them as trivial as that one.