Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D -Sage - Kylom the Invoker

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
Here is the concept for my entry. Let me know what you think.

Kylom the Invoker likes to summons creatures from the nightmare realm to kill and torment his victims. Hobbies collecting relics, killing, gathering magical artifacts.

kylom_c.jpg

WIP on high poly just blocking things out.

kylom01.jpg

Alex

Replies

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I worked some more on the concept. I have a version with Polycount war paint and one without. which do you like better? Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Alex

kylom_face_c.jpg

kylom_face_c01.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Some more sketching. Trying to give him a shaman kind of feel to him, I'm having trouble good reference though. any help with that would be nice.

Alex

kylom_c01.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The Greentooth face paint works quite well. Whats he got on the end of his chin?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Jackablade thanks for the feedback. The thing on his chin is some type of jewelry inspired by things I have seen in African tribes and from sculptures of the pharaohs.

Well here are two of the beasties he summons. I'm sort of tempted to make them shadowy in appearance and give them a shader that counter shades them for the diffuse using a fall off map.

beasties.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I took a long break from this and did more studies. Here is where I have the model so far and where I'm planning take this character. Depending on how many tris I use and the time I have left I'll make some beasties for him. I'm hating the ears at the moment.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

kylom_c02.jpg

kylom02.jpg

Alex
  • Heart Murmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Alex looks good so far, I was just curious of the choice to detach the head from the body? Perhaps not fully done? Also the head looks small compared to the width of his shoulders, maybe make it a tiny bit bigger. Anyway I like the contraption on the arm, I'd like to see how that turns out. As for the shadow creatures I like the doglike one with no arms, pretty interesting. Also the whole pharaoh-esque features are a nice addition. Are you going to change up the legs to match the concept?

Lookin' good, keep it up man!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Heart Murmer I just modeled the head separately, no reason really, the neck isn't modeled yet. Yeah the final pose of the character will be posed liked the sketch. Here is a quick update, I tried to get the pose of the sketch since I got tired of looking at the base mesh pose. I did more work on the head.

kylom03.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Here is an update, made a new model, to sculpt on and I'm going to do that now and pose it to my liking. :D Let me know what you think.

Alex

klylom_v02_01.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Quick update

Alex

klylom_v03_03.jpg

klylom_v03_02.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Been working on the hands, what a pain that is. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

klylom_v03_04.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    i I think it's getting there, I'm going to add his teeth, eyes, hair and props. Let me know what you think thanks.

Alex

klylom_v03_05.jpg

klylom_v03_06.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    the body is ok (even if there are some muscle problems on the back)

but your face is way too blobby.. stick more to your concept and the way you made the rest of the body
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for the feedback Rollin. I took a break from the body and decided to make the props for him. Here is what I have so far. By the way I'm using a lower res version to make the props. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Alex

klylom_v03_07.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I think I'm almost done. I'm cutting my losses and just going to make the normals for this guy and texture him and see how it goes. Then, I'll practice sculpting some more. I was going for something ugly and freaky looking and I have that, not great but but whatever. Looking to finish this time around. :) I did a quick 3 point lighting to see how he would look. I can't wait to give him some polycount war paint. I think those colors will look good on the grayish purple skin. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

klylom_v03_08.jpg

klylom_v03_09.jpg
  • Waz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    The underlying anatomy and the face are really off. Look at some reference of some Satyr's or some other demon that has a similar outline. Also add more details in the muscles and some armor pieces. Time is running out however so do whatever you can to finish.