Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3d - Vailias - Surtr

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vailias polycounter lvl 18
Surtr.jpg
A bit loose yes. But I'm thinking I'm going to do a version of the Fire Jotun Surtr, of Norse flavor.
As the legend has it he wields a sword of flame which burns brighter than the sun and sets the whole world ablaze at the end of ragnarok. Sounds like a good warlord to me
Warlord - FireGiant - Fire/lava/(nuclear fusion?)

I'm wanting the armor to be rather impressive, and I'm thinking of going with a wolf motif for the left/shield arm, and a dragon motif for the right/sword arm and sword itself. Could wind up being too busy, but I dig the idea of either wolf or dragon styled armor, or perhaps armor MADE of a dragon's skin.

only other solid Idea I have is a lich lord wielding a sort of void... but there seem to be a lot of void entries already.

Replies

• jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    I like norsemen entries and solid idea there. Personally I dont like too much dragon stuff tho. I'd replace that side with giant raven(s) or so which also were in important part of norse mythology smile.gif.

Just my 0,2c
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So are dragons, Merecraft. Fafnir and Nidhogg for a start.

Looks like a good start Valias. The buckler with the big spike on it looks a tad impractical, but aside from that it looks like it could potentially be a strong entry.
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    So are dragons, Merecraft. Fafnir and Nidhogg for a start.

Looks like a good start Valias. The buckler with the big spike on it looks a tad impractical, but aside from that it looks like it could potentially be a strong entry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I know, but Hugin and Munin are less used than Fafnir and Nidhogg wink.gif
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the commentary. Got my finals for this section of school out of the way, and been sketching a lot at work.
    I'm struggling with the armor design a bit. Quite possibly over thinking it. I'm trying for something so Iconic it might stand a chance at winning. (thats the point right?) Tossed around the idea of making the armor for Surtr look like it was made from a BIGGUN unit (last year's winner), but the shapes only sorta worked. I'm leaning toward wanting something with bulk but substance, ala UT3 and the rest of hawkprey's (male) work. :shrug: anyway on with the content.

original sketches
    SurtSketches1.jpg

side proportion ortho. Looking at oversized extremities and overly long legs.
    SurtOrtho.jpg

armor exploration
    SurtSketches2.jpg

more
    SurtArmorSketches.jpg

Alternate Idea: Void Lord. Carries an oblivion blade
    LordofVoid.jpg

another void lord sketch, with more viscousness
    VoidLord2.jpg

Suggestions?
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my 2 cents:

I like the void lords head it's quite funky.

I'm imagining that the void lord head on one of the more chunkier armour designs could look cool.

magical swords and flames are a bit stereotypical imho so maybe you could come up with some kinda cool weapon like a magical spikey turtle that shoots acid or something.