Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Renaud Galand - Stalker

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
Stalker - Darkness/void

Ok, I'm in (sort of laugh.gif )

I've some rough ideas in mind, but the main one would be a young girl who got lost in space during the last war trying to escape some stronger enemies. When she came back, she wasn't herself anymore. Transformed into a mix between her and an evil creature who gave her dark voodoo powers. The price to pay is her self destruction/alteration each time she's using it. The poor little girl became a powerful and disgusting killer.

I don't want to go within the classic full Gothic or African voodoo style for this one. I imagine that she's immortal and not conscient of herself anymore. She's wearing her old spacesuit completely worn by the passage of time and influence of the dark power. She transformed her weapon into something more brutal and evil (still to definie, but it's gonna hurt laugh.gif ).
If you want a better expemple of what I've in mind, let say she was part of Event Horizon's crew wink.gif (check on imdb, if you don't know the movie).

//last//

test01_5.jpg
head_test.jpg

Replies

• [ ' ' ' ]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Concept! concept! smile.gif
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    Event Horizon, exelent!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man, I'm having hard time with the concept step. First idea doodle.

test.jpg
  • Leto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    she ain't pretty no more.

seriously though, one idea is to have the corruption emanating from a specific part of her body. for example, you could have shit creeping up her arm and/or leg. i say this because right now, the corruption in the torso really takes the sexy out, and it sounds like that's something that you're wanting to keep.

try duping your original sketch and painting over quick corruption ideas.

however, i may be misreading your intention. just my .02 smile.gif

either way, cool idea. keep the sketches coming.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Just a thought, maybe one half of her face is totally nasty and the other is still kinda hot so she can do that slow turn around and totally freak everybody out.
  • FrankJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or maybe her true, horribly disfigured and corrupted face is on the back of her head!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx guys, I'll try to push this idea a bit more. I'm planing to explore some other ideas as well.

here's a small update on the previous concept.

-Last concept above-
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    hope you'll finish that one Renaud, can't wait to see your progress on this smile.gif
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx for the support Valh smile.gif

btw, my first post has been updated with the last version of my current concept. Let's move on the back and on the weapon now !
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    //ninja update on the chest area, what do you think guys?//
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    I think your proportions are more anime style male than female. The face also looks like an anime male, try getting your proportions to flow better and get the face looking more feminine before you get to the armor. As it stands it looks like an anime dude with part of his midsection missing. Sorry if this sounds harsh but you did say in the paintover thread you were wondering why your entry wasn't getting much in the way of comments. Its not bad to the point where people would comment but its also not promising to inspire comment either. You are kinda sitting in mediochre land. Get out of the box and go wild. I had the same issues with my own entry, even now I doubt I will place top 50 but I'm still an amature :P

good luck.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, gots to agree with Xaltar, the concept is messy. As in lots of ideas, but they're not really connected as a whole proper concept yet.

Maybe re-think what you want to achieve witht his model?
    For example, event horizon is (imo) an amazing film, and definately the visual style of that movie is very inviting and unique to work with and incorporate. yet I'm not seeing anything of that back.

So we have a girl, lost in a dimension etc etc. Comes back, hybrid alien infestation in her body.

Too me, that means there's growths that have ripped trough her suit, maybe even covering parts on the outside. A real disgustibg cancer like spread. You asked for gauss-sauce, but I think I'll just give it a quick try too, expect a doodle laugh.gif

Here ya go, my quick take on it:
    renauldgarlandiu6.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Damn, wish my doodles were that good smile.gif
  • Leto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, much better! what if she had some hawt leg/midriff exposed. i especially like your asymmetry in the arms and what if you achieved the same thing this way in the legs? .02
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I think pesti has the right idea, see what you can do to make it more cohesive feeling.. What about first designing a sweet spacesuit, then mutate her and have bits punch through the suit. It might help breaking up the desinging like that, and makes sense as the suit and the alien would have different design 'origins'. I'd like to see some contrast between the torn up mutated and the still intact suit
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah thx guys, I think I got you smile.gif I'll try to push this ahead with the 3D translation.
  • WarNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarNoodle polycounter lvl 17
    sweet character... i think i liked her before she got all ugly in the face though. lol. but still all nice. keep it up.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tiny update with better (I think) difference between infected areas and the old space suit. And yeah, the think on her chest is flesh laugh.gif I also added some "voodoo spikes" on her infected arm. oh well, this character will just be a huge clich
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i am digging everything but the mouth in her stomach. seen it, wasn't wild about it then.

what about having the mouth turned 90 degrees and between her tits, like her sternum disintegrated and her ribs are now the mandibles for her hell maw?

i'd throw her stance a bit more off balance as well... like her voodoo-arm is weighing her down. will help create a more interesting silhouette despite the more traditional forms.

voodoo-spikes are cool. should be bigger. they'll get lost at that size in any game.

i like her suite. pants are cool.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx for the feedback dude. I'll give it a try wink.gif
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Renaud, I like the direction you are going, but I would have to agree with Sectaurs. The mouth in the stomach reminds me of the Darkstalkers character ( Zombie guy ) and I think leads your eye away to much from her arm and face. Maybe just showing more of the inside, and vertabrae closing it off so that her upper half isnt floating. Good stuff, and I know your going to kill on the 3d:)

Spark
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    i think you could push design of the legs, to make 'em more interesting, maybe?
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for the support !

I got some motivation today to work a little bit on the concept (again). I had an idea about a glove that she did with different pieces from here and there. I'm also working on another "soul catcher glove". I tried to change a bit the colors too. I think that it's my last post for the 2D concept itself. I'll continue the elaboration in 3D laugh.gif But I really wanted to draw something that was a bit more than a simple rough sketch.

test01_5.jpg
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    awesome dude!

only crit is watchthe bones coming out fo the hip area -- thats where the hip bone goes! Maybe shatter it, or place it in there? Awesome job!
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    New sketch looks badass man, I'd look at he lower legs again though, they look kinda plain compared to the top half.
    Keep it up!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx guys, as I said before, I'll definitely take another deep look at this character in 3D smile.gif And just to show that I started the model, here's a little face mockup I did on the head model I've so far. Body is in progress.

head_test.jpg
  • JimJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool :]
    I like the haircut.
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Thats a cool face. smile.gif I think her mouth could be a tad wider though.
  • Smooth_Criminal
    Great face.. the Hair is gonna turn out great smile.gif and I totally love the tattoos..
  • jibowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jibowski polycounter lvl 11
    very nice head! i like the haircut too, i just find the pinch on the nostril a bit strange..
    anyway good job ! laugh.gif
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx guys. Not a big update here, but the "basic female proportion basemesh" is more or less done (was a good practice btw, and I should do more female models, it's definitely not that simple laugh.gif ) Now, it's time to dress her and start her mutation.

stalker_base.jpg
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    Love how this is turning out. keep up the great work.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Nice body! (im talking about the girl) I like the concept alot and the modeling is looking great! Although I would make her boobs a bit more natural because it would feel better hehe, Great work m8!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, this looks cool!
    Some anatomy things seem a bit weird though, her bicep looks wrong (too long and straight maybe?), and given how thin she is I'd expect to see more evidence of her pelvis and hip bones around her waist, like those little bumps where you see the top sides of the pelvic bone sticking out, so she doesn't really look like she has a pelvis at the moment.

Her breasts really look like she has silicon implants too!
    Dunno if that was intentional or not... personally I'd give them a bit more weight and slope, they seem a bit too spherical at the moment. Depends on what you're going for I guess...

cool stuff though, keep it up smile.gif
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe thx for the input Paul, it was a bit rushed I must say tongue.gif So yeah there are definitely some issues. And even if everything will be hidden by cloth/mutation, I'll do the fixes smile.gif

lol @ silicon boobs laugh.gif I guess it's the shape I wanted to give her once she'll wear her spacesuit (which is pretty tight)
  • Monstagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud!

Just wanted to say this is one of my faves. Love the concept, love the drawing -- especially the idea of the disintegrating space-suit. So many of the entries (as cool as they are!) seem to interpret 1000 years in the future as looking an awful lot like 1000 years in the past.

Anyway, diggin' it. Keep rocking, brother. Good luck!
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Renaud!

.... So many of the entries (as cool as they are!) seem to interpret 1000 years in the future as looking an awful lot like 1000 years in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

exact ! I agree with You. Sometimes I think that it's some
    challenge of World of Warcraft. mad.gif

Renaud - it looks cool. cool.gif