Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 2D - 8FtSpider - Iron Lion

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
I've deleted the initial write-up nonsense; none of it matters anyway, and I need to focus on visual interest and not story asides.

demon.jpg

Replies

• Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more:

demon_sketch_01.jpg

I'm calling the mouth in his chest the "maw of chaos" or something similar. The evil eye buried inside is capable of all kinds of shit.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    neat stuff. both of these sketch sheets show strong forms. i'd be a little hesitant about the mouth/eye torso thing--it looks great, but it's also on everybody's radar due to Nightmare's new design in Soul Calibur IV. something to think about; if you can avoid begging a comparison to any high profile property like that, all the better.
    you've got strong sketch ability though, so i don't think you'll have much trouble iterating this guy up to where he needs to be smile.gif
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Gauss. Hmm, I haven't seen the new Nightmare, I always remember the eye being on the sword. I actually was kinda thinking about greentooth.

Here's a thumbnail I mirrored:

demon_sketch_02.jpg

and here's a weird thing I got when I embossed it. I thought it looked to cool to just toss:

demon_error.jpg
    looks like a skinny, pissed off Galactus.

edit: cheese and crackers! Googled the new Nightmare and he has a mouth/orb thing in his torso! I'm gonna roll with it. His new look is pretty different than what I'm going for here.

I added the original sketch with the eyes in the chest, I think I may have to go with this look to pull it away from any comparison. I'm going to lean toward's medieval asian armor.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last sketch for the night:

demon_sketch_03.jpg
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still sketching:

DEMON_021808.jpgDEMON_02_021808.jpg
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    me likes...GIVE ME MORE!
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Nichtsturm!? Do you know what that means? ...Notstorm, makes not much sense to me smile.gif
    Great concepts! The mouth at his chest is very cool.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha. ok, I may need your German Davidson3D. I was going for nothing-storm, naught-storm, like a raging sea/storm of blackness and void. Does it make anymore sense, or do I need to work on/scrap the name?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this is it for now for the front ortho (cept for his boots, still need some love). I'm going to concentrate on the rest, now; back, side, and then some details. After I've hammered out some of the other views, I'll work on them as a whole.

demon_021908.jpg

oh, and the chest eyes now burn with some kind of cosmic flame, but you knew that.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fleshing the ideas out some more in side view. Very early just trying to work out the underlying structure:

demon_022108.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, I'm beginning to think that the mouth/draws away from the overall character, too. I like the overall shape and form of the guy; I want him to look strong and heroic...

ok, I will work on this more. I think the magic-gauntlet idea is a wash, too.

Revision time. I'm thinking now about a human hero in magic armor, or just some kind of ornate armor, with a magic something else.

demon_022108_02.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    like the armordesign exept these small "eyes" over the mouth-eye .. or stylize the mouth-eye so you doesn´t have two faces
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, he's officially not a demon anymore.

Name: Iron Lion
    Race: Human
    Class: Warlord
    Artifact: Earth/Rock (giant stone cudgel)

Last sketch before I leave the office:

hero_02.jpg

I think the horns are going, too.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    like the head with horn-crown from the 1. pic more more more smile.gif
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    latest update:

hero_scan_02.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice design indeed, and very well done..
    But nothing make me feel it's futuristic tho..
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, mine isn't the only entry to shy away from destroyed-beauty, Mad Max, futuristic stuff.

I really hate the idea of a post-apocalyptic future that has no technology. That's like a chicken-dish with no chicken. Basically, we're in the future, that's just like the past only it's the future. Well, how do we know it's the future if there is no tech? Do we cover our character in busted crap that doesn't work? I really don't have an answer, so I'm trying to come up with a character that can fit in with the magic stuff.

The story so far is this guy is like Chinese Hercule/Superman. son of a god and a mortal, he's been raised on earth (or some other human inhabited planet) by his mum. Dad calls down to him from heaven, tells him to go kick ass, and gives him armor from heaven and a giant stone cudgel.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    you´r fine with the look!
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Thats a cool armour design mate. How about giving him a optional mask?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thats a cool armour design mate. How about giving him a optional mask?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, yeah! I want to bring this back to the original stuff I sketched out with a skull/demon mask that snaps into place over his face. I want to be able to hook it on his belt when not it use. I'm think about some kind of item bag on this belt, too, and possibly a horse-leg cutter sword on his left hip, kinda hanging down, or strapped across his lower back.

I wasn't really happy with the way his arms look in that last sketch (kind of an awkward pose), so I'm taking a closer look at the musculature:

hero_02_25_08.jpg
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like a plan, bring it on! smile.gif I really like the legs on the left. But i think he needs more ass and less calfmuscle.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Belltann. I took your advice concerning the ass and calf. I'll post an update soon.

For now this is where I'm thinking of going with the weapon/artifact. Giant Mountain Cudgel! or something similar. I want it to look simple, and to invoke the earth/stone/mountains. The story I'm thinking of is that the sky father reaches down and grabs a mountain peak, and, after a blinding light, the Giant Mountain Cudgel stands in the place of the now missing mountain peak.

It's cylindrical and I think the Greentooth logo would look good on the striking end.
    cudgel.png
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the sleeker, demon looking concept better then your latest iteration. with the horns and the skeletal face, i think it has a lot more potential then dude with the intricate armor. Your latest concept looks like he could kick some ass, but the previous one looks like it could kick his ass lol, you dig?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I think it's to late in the game for me to change course now. I'm gonna need every second to do the winning pose.

Here's the latest update w/ mask:
    iron_lion_Mar_01.jpg

I went with a lion-mask btw. I felt the demon stuff just wouldn't fit.
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smooth as a baby buttox. smile.gif Looking good, and texturings going to be fun.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Awesome details. I guess it will be a very shiny armor.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Hey, that designs really coming together nicely man. I like the stylization of your anatomy, really try to nail that and i think he will have a lot of character.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    That's some nice detail work! It looks like a mish mash of different styles however, almost like he's wearing pieces of 3 different suits of armor. Too soon to call it, maybe a color scheme will tie things together. I think it might be interesting to have different expressions on the face moldings. Nice design for sure though!
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the compliments, everyone. Snowfly, I agree, I think the thing that ruins it is the damn shin-guards. I'm going to re-do them to look more like the forearm guards (one piece instead of segments), and see how that looks.

Here's what I'm thinking so far for colors. I want to work green and black in there without it being to stark (solid black, solid green). I think earthy/mineral colors will conjure the thought of iron, too. For the green I'm thinking of jade accents.
    iron_lion_colors.jpg