r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
Starting my DWIII thread, concepts to follow soon smile.gif

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samurai_001.jpg

still VERY VERY WIP, but I thought I would post to see what people thought fo the idea anyway smile.gif Spent most of the day gathering reference, and started throwing some shapes down.

NAME: (undecided)
    CLASS: Warlord
    ARTIFACT: Darkness, Void.

DESCRIPTION:
    My character infused his katana with Darkness/Void magic. He had been a formitable warlord prior to the infusion, but his new weapon drove him bloodthirsty with power. We was unable to control the powerful magic unleashed through his weapon and quickly noticed it spilling forth into his own body ... grotesquely mutating his arm and torso. He continues to weild the weapon, uncertain of his own fate.

Going to keep working on the concept drawings until they are solid smile.gif Crits greatly appreciated (but keep in mind its like ... 2 hours of drawing)
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the mutated parts so far.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samurai_002.jpg

So I started painting the head ... started exploring some shapes and such. I thought he was looking way too much like a stereotypical samurai, so I revealed the lower half of his face to show some messed up jaggedy teeth. I also want him to have a slightly dead feel, so I am probably going to make some sick looking skin and throw some scars and battle damage on there for good measure.

I also want his face mask to have some sort of cool design or pattern on it...going to explore that later. Moving on to the body and arms next smile.gif
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, so my samurai concept was not as well received as I had hoped it to be, so I sat down and played around in photoshop today to see if I could comeup with something new. As luck would turn out, the following happened:

rhino_001.jpg

thoughts? better than the crazy samurai? should I keep going with this one or go back to the drawing board?
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Better than the samurai - because the samurai in Darkstalkers was undead and had a mouth/face on its chest/belly. This is a bit more original. Makes me think of a Rhinoman trying to be a triceratops. laugh.gif
  • dyvinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love this one, it is more original, and definitely more you. This is the kind of stuff I expect to see from you ;-) Keep it coming!
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    personally I really like the undead samurai (and much more than the rhino).. but I ignored that Darkstalkers had such a character..
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    i would go with some voodoo-samurai man.. but make him more .. special.. not some samurai.. THE samurai
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I definantly agree. I was also told it looks like a character from Soul Calibur and also like Shao Kahn from Mortl Combat. So ... add Darkstalkers in there (I can't find a pic for the life of me to compare) and that is enough reason for me to stay clear fo the whole super samurai theme. I would love to have some sort of asian theme in my character, but I don't want to come that close to the ripping off someone else's work line.

I'm going to mess with both, but I am still not in love with anything I have produced thus far. I want to spend as much time concepting before I move to 3d ... failure to preare is preparing to fail smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions guys!!
  • naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    Combine the two! Undead samurai rhino!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    So ... add Darkstalkers in there (I can't find a pic for the life of me to compare)

[/ QUOTE ]

Just as an FYI: Bishamon
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol: ... actually...not a bad idea ... gonna do it tomorrow and see what happens > : )

Valandar: AHH! bad joo joo magic! No more teeth in chest plate for me.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rhino_002.jpg

k, combined. thoughts? I think I like this quite a bit more than the other concepts...I feel slightly more origional. I worked off the rhino trying to be a triceratops thing and threw in the samurai influence I was hoping for. Crits / suggestions / you ar eont he right or wrong track would be greatly appreciated smile.gif
  • NuclearWarrior
    If your going to combine, I would change the overall proportions. I would try maybe making him bulkier on top, maybe even somewhat fat and a large back. Making him top heavy would emphasize the brute force aspect of the Rhino, and with the right kind of armor would fit well with the Samurai part of him. I actually dug the original samurai sketches, but I can definitely see a medium between these too.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    i like the rhino idea better than the samurai. i dont think you necessarily have to combine the two. i think the first rhino concept u did was cool. i would build on that one and give him a nice bulky weapon. but i'm sure if you tweak the rhino/samurai combo, something cool will come out of that too. good luck!
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    rad, 3horns of piercing power!

maybe toss some sort of armor on his left leg to counter balance the stuff on the fore arm. and you are missing a great chance to play with unique helmet designs. you could come up with some awesome stuff for a rhino.

and last, maybe make it less "rhino", think rhino-esque, but right now it looks like a ninja turtle toy.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the AWESOME crits guys, thats exactly what I was looking for. Definantly gonna mess with this some more.

Drawings to follow soon smile.gif
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rhino_003.jpg

messing around with helmet designs ... not sure if I like any. I want him to rely on his weapon more than his horn, so I was trying to make it look more like it would suck to get impaled ... and he'll do it if he has to ... but that's not his thing. worked from conervative to ultra protective.

Suggestions much appreciated smile.gif
  • Arix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like #1, but i also like how you have gold rims on the horn armor ornaments like in #2. Maybe do a combo of 1 and 2. You could also run a leather strap around his chin to help secure the helm down, similar to how you have the armor wrapping around the chin in #3.

I am digging the rhino idea. The weapon seems a but bland, maybe placing an ornament on the end of the grip, or curving the blade to resemble more of a katana since you seem to have a samurai theme going on. I also like his piercings :P

Maybe try some more extreme proportions, like short legs, big feet, small pelvis and HUGE chest and shoulders? Dunno.

Really nice work though. Keep it up, can't wait to see more!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    4 is cool, but I think 3-ish works best. Maybe combine it with something like...

PulpMarselluButch.jpg

You might also want to start thinking about your materials. Right now you've got quite a few: bandages, metal, gold deco, skin, horns, straps, chains and chainmail. I think the chainmail works least with the burly, bulky character of a hippo. The bandages make him feel weak, and the straps could be heavier and more prominently secure (like with a ring as in the kink image above) to support the weight.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help guys smile.gif

I LOL'ed myself when I saw your pic, shotgun. You guys were super helpful! Gonna revamp the design tomorrow and see what comes out.

I totally agree ... gonna mess with the proportions like Arix suggested and also try to cut back on materials to make him feel more consistant. Thanks again guys!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    4 or a combination from 2 and 3
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rhino_004.jpg

got some time to mess around with shapes and proportions. did a couple silhouettes to try and figure stuff out. I enlarged the horns on his chest as well as the ornamental thing on his back. Shortened his legs and chopped some of them off ... also raised his shoulder pads up a little. I am shooting for silhouette B. A is where it is currently at. I am getting frustrated with 2d space ... might move on to 3d space where i am way more comfortable. Have a pretty solid idea as to how everything is going to fit together, so I am fairly happy.
  • Smooth_Criminal
    B sounds great.. I can jus imagine how it will look in 3d. cant wait to see it, I think u can give a more thicker sword too, somehow the thin one doesnt seems to fit in.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rhino_005.jpg

so I started roughing in 3d forms -- pretty happy with how it is coming out. I was concerned about the chains -- I didn't want to use cards (they stick out like a sore thumb) so I experimented with them quite a bit. So far I have used a little over half my budget with sloppy geo. I can totally crank this thing and make it look killer, methinks.

Hopefully you guys like the new proportions smile.gif Still have to play withthe head -- I think I am going to lower it a little so the shoulder pads look ultra football padd-ish.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Wow, that is a very wide rhino! I think his legs should be a bit longer. smile.gif
    The design of the amor is cool but i dont like the horns on his chest, they dont make much sense. Without them he could be able to use the horn on his head for fighting. Maybe put a horn on his arm shield thing.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    hmmm, I would have gone with A but make him fatter, more heavy set.

The legs need some work on the shorter version, would be ridiculous to see him running around.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easily fixable smile.gif thanks for the feedback!
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rhino_006.jpg

I combined some of the elemnts I liked from my samurai helmet and heavily relied on "C" from my dome studies. I like how it turned out, but I am very open to feedback. I also lengthened the legs a little (might need to widen them now?) and messed with the armor a bit.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rhino_007.jpg

gah ... harder and harder to find time to work on this -- I think I am going to hammer on it for a few days while I have the chance!

did some sculpting on the shoulder pads smile.gif I need to add battle damage and clean the normals up in Photoshop, but this is where it is headed smile.gif Im using this arrow frog and some cool imprints i found online as a color scheme / reference.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    nice work on the shoulder pads! i hope u get the time to finish this guy!
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rhino_008.jpg

low-poly screen grabs woo!

spent the day working on the helmet and head. I think the head itself is at a pretty decent spot -- not too much cleanup to do. All the craptastic faked anatomy in the neck is going to be covered up by armor, so you will never really see it unless it is through armor seams. Helmet still has quite a bit of work left -- going to sharpen up the edges and add some micro-detail. Experimented with some colors ... thoughts? Still going with the arrow frog color scheme smile.gif

Hopefully tomorrow I will have some base chest plate sculpted + normal mapped + base colored.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rhino_009.jpg

k, started pushing forward smile.gif torso is all laid out. I am sure most of you have figured out by now that I do not work in the standard way ... lol ... Most of my work happens in photoshop instead of making one big contiguous high res sculpt. This clocks in at around 3K tris, but many of the tris under the head are un-used ... so deleting them + other hidden faces brings it down to 2.5K. Right on track, methinks.

To do list:

fix top arm pads (they bother me)
    refine normals
    make spec maps
    FIGURE OUT COLOR (maybe once whole thing is in 3d?)

crits / comments would be more than helpful smile.gif
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rhino_010.jpg

so I had an epic fail moment today ... whole file corrupted. Hacked and slashed to get my stuff back ... was able to recover most of it with minimal editing only to write over my new file with the corrupted one. *slaps head*

Anyway ... was able to work on the back ornament. The text reads (or is supposed to) "conquest - legion - victory". Or at least I hope it does ... if anyone can verify that for me it would be awesome smile.gif

I have house guests for a few days, so I have to take a break. Hopefully when I come back I can power through the rest!
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rhino_011.jpg

OK i'm back! Time to finish :P Threw some base color on the arms for now to make sure the bandages look ok. The right arm is going to have armor and plates on it, but I duped the left one to make sure nothing looked wonky. More to come soon > : )
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rhino_012.jpg

grinding ... here's latest WIP.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rhino_014.jpg

still grinding -- got him all on one map (WOO!) and started painting diffuse + final cleaning of normals. gonna cut it real close ><
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Nice work
    What is written on that big sign? Looks like its something very important :)
    The texture looks noisy and dirty to me, Rhinos have an interresting skin i cant see it in your textures
    http://www.wwf.de/fileadmin/fm-wwf/filme-alt/Weisses_Nashorn_WWF-Ulf-Doerner1024x768.jpg
    To make it less dirty looking it helps to put more color in the shadeing and dont put you screens on a black background.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rhino_015.jpg

thanks for posting Davidson! I was starting to get lonely with so many posts and no replies *cry*

the billboard reads "conquest - legion - victory" (Legion is the character's name). Thought it would be funny if the last thing you on this plane of existance was was a smiley face on a charging rhino with an overconfident slogan plastered over his head.

anyway ... here's the post for the night. top pads, billboard and shield to do ... then touch up, spec map and posing!
  • cMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please be carefully with green color on the armor. I would prefer pure metal instead of other kind of materials on it. The sculls could be matt metal and rest of the armor more glossy with slightly different color temperature.

Keep going, I believe it goanna be very good.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Hey r4ptur3, nice work, I really like the main shapes! The rhino is a great idea.

Here's a small crit that could hopefully push the model further.

Like I said, the main shapes are cool but I think little subtle curves should help out your model. Heres what I mean:
    raturepaint.jpg

Maybe just by pushing verts in those muscle intersection to help give them more definition could make the model seem a bit more dynamic. And maybe make the green more saturated as much as the polycount logo if you want. But in general, the texture is coming along well, materials are reading well, keep it up!
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the crits!

finished him up tonite + posting final images :) just in time!!
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I would post the final pics here since they are not viewable by the public after I submitted them :) Think he turned out allrite ... learned so much while doing it + had a lot of fun. Was awesome to watch people progress through the contest and I hope to do it again next year!

beauty_shot_JPG.jpg

concept_sheet_JPG.jpg

construction_shot_JPG.jpg

texture_sheet_JPG.jpg

winning_pose_JPG.jpg