polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jaco polycounter lvl 17
Updates at bottom of page

Concepts:

Thumbs3.jpg

Thumbs1.jpg

Thumbs2.jpg

I'm currently doing some freelance work , which I'm pretty excited about too, so it's going to be hard to get this finished but I'll do my best smile.gif

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Nice man, I really like the Crossbow guy.
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Alright! The left one looks promesing smile.gif
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    I like the left one also! But lets wait more to come :P
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks, I'm liking the first guy too but I'll do some more thumbnails before I develop him more.

(First post updated with another concept)
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Clericon: Void Hunter (temporary name)

The souls trapped in his lantern allow him to identify foes across great distances and through any objects. His eyes are blind, but he can see more than anyone else on the battlefield.

I'm thinking about swapping the rifle for a crossbow (with a bayonet and telescope)?
    I'm thinking I could do some interesting things with the quiver if I go for a crossbow.

Thumbs3.jpg
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    I think he got a more destinct personality without the Cape/skirt. Like the the first thumb. The crossbow idea sounds cooler. smile.gif
    Nice sketches btw.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    interesting design, liked the whole lantern idea! The only thing i can crit is that the hat doesnt fit in, dont know if anyone thinks the same, just my opinion.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Haha digging it. Why does it bring to mind Samurai Jack hehe.

Lekker werk boet.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Belltann thanks you're right, and you've given me an idea smile.gif
    c0ldhands you're right too smile.gif, I'm getting rid of the hat
    Xaltar, dankie man jy ook wink.gif

It's a bit early to start doing these, but I'm going to try and do a shitload of head sculpts.

HeadSketch1.jpg
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    wohooo, really loooking forward to this!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    wohoo.. keep going jaco.. love the idear with the light smile.gif

head has some cool character smile.gif
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I really like that face. Nice work!
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks guys!

Here comes the text...
    blush.gif

BIO:

Idaru the Seeker and his guide Blydel

Idaru was born blind, and was considered cursed for this reason by his tribe and family.
    This opinion changed however when Idaru, abandoned by his tribe, came across a magic lantern. Upon picking up the lantern, hidden amongst the bones of an ancient beast, green shapes filled the blind boy’s vision. Shapes strangely shaped like people, Idaru noticed.

Idaru’s tribe was shocked when the blind boy returned. He told them what he had found; a lantern which allowed him to see people across great distances, even through objects. Idaru’s fortune changed, his village welcomed him back with open arms.

Idaru, with the help of his magic lantern, led his tribe to many victories. Idaru’s joy at being accepted was greater than his disgust at what he was being used for; to find and kill the tribe’s enemies.

It has now been over 30 years since the boy Idaru discovered the lantern. He (and his’ lantern) has left his now powerful tribe, a tribe corrupted by the power he gave them.
    Idaru now disdains the lantern and its past; he has locked it away and vowed to never again use it.

One morning Idaru was awoken by the sound of nails scratching on his cabin door. He got out of bed, his cold old bones creaking in complaint. As he stepped out the door he tripped over a cold, hairy, wet form lying limp at the entrance of his doorway. Idaru examined the pathetic form; his hands discovered that it was a dog, covered with strange burns. Idaru immediately identified the wounds as wounds inflicted by magic.

The taint of magic filled Idaru with unease. Instinctively he opened the chest in which he kept the lantern. When he touched the lantern his vision filled with twisted, green shapes. He had witnessed similar visions many times before in his past, and knew immediately what he was looking at; war.

Idaru felt a strange attraction to join the fray, a calling. He was disgusted by this, and distracted himself by nursing the dog back to health; he called it Blydel.
    But the calling would not end.

(If you’re lazy and don’t want to read all that, basically the dude with the shit on his back is blind, but the lantern attached to the shit on his back allows him to see enemies (across great distances and through any obstructions). The dog is called Blydel, it’s harnessed to Idaru and guides him across obstacles he can’t see.)

Ok here’s what I’m currently contemplating:

Rifle or crossbow (with bayonet and telescope)? The crossbow looks cool, but the rifle is an interesting contrast to his primitive garb.

A dog or an imp like minion?

No helmet or helmet?

Here’s a simple 3d concept and thumbnails of what I’m thinking so far, I’m still working on the harness.

Concept.jpg
  • audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    Coming along nice already

Me personally would go for an imp like creature, maybe something which fits to his breast armor? The child of that creature it belongs to tongue.gif
    Helmet or no Helmet. Hmm if the alternative is a bald head i prefer the Helmet.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Hey thanks audi100! That’s a pretty awesome idea, I think I’m gonna do a quick 3d concept of what it might look like.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Cool concept!

If you're giving him a helmet, it might be neat if the helmet covered his eyes entirely. He'd come across as blind more clearly without seeing the texture that way too.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks fly_soup. I've considered covering his eyes, something like the Mouth of Sauron . After I concept Blydel and his harness, I'm going to concentrate on the helmet.

Here's a rough design sculpt of Blydel, a more refined version with the horns that I forgot is coming soon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Jacoh/DominanceWar/Blydel1.jpg

His overall coloring is going to be greenish. His face should resemble greentooth, as he is distantly related to the great greentooth.
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Ah good stuff Jaco, the whole lantern construct and the guide are a nice touch - definetly thinking outside the box there smile.gif
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    This is looking fantastic, Jaco. Great concept. I definitely like the newer Blydel at the right. The original with the 6 like-sized limbs seemed a bit overstated.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Chai

I've done another design sculpt, it's not complete yet but here it is so far:

DesignSculpt2.jpg

DesignSculpt1.jpg

DesignSculpt3.jpg

Face.jpg

Comments would be much appreciated.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    a "normal" dog with some postapocalyptic touch would be cooler though smile.gif

guy is cool but a tad unbalanced with the huuughe chest-skull-thing

face is realy cool smile.gif
  • Solid.Shake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, you rock!! i love the concept. Tell me that you are going to make the eye sockets glow on the armor

DW3 - Cerberus - Warlock
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    wow nice forms you've got going on here, like the old head more though, but really nice so far smile.gif
  • Smooth_Criminal
    Unique and nice concept man, I like the head with Beard smile.gifHas a nice style to it.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Back from page 5 baby!
    Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.
    Rollin, thanks. Agreed about the 'normal' dog thing.
    I was inspired by this picture, I've been wanting to do a character like this for a while. So post apocalyptic hyena it is smile.gif
    I'll give the hyena some makeshift amour, parts salvaged from ancient machines, weapons, vehicles etc.
    I haven't had as much time as I would have liked for this, but I've done another design sculpt after doing some sketching. I'm still going to add the helmet,boots (maybe sandals?) a pouch for his gunpowder, the lantern setup and tweak the overall proportions to better match my sketches (I'll post those soon)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Jacoh/DominanceWar/DesignSculp.jpg

Zsphere process for those who are interested

ZSphere.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Nothing final or pretty here, just throwing around some ideas:

DesignSculpt4.jpg
    Head2.jpg
    Top.jpg

I don't like the helmet design, I'll keep the skull shapes but improve the silhouette, and I'll have the cloth attaching to the helmet somewhere. I don’t think I’m going to cover his eyes (he’s blind) anymore.

I've fiddled too much with the hyena skull on his chest and it's turned to shit, this is what I'll be aiming for later:

HyenaSkull.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Basemesh for the body:

Base.jpg

Blockin for the rest of the base, WIP:

Base2.jpg
    Base3.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    just a little hint

if you want build such a light-mount/rack or how its called

you wouldn´t build it that way bc it would roll over. And bc of its huge lever arm it would brake just where it´s attached with the body

like the new doggy smile.gif
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Ahh thanks for the hint rollin, think it's fixed now. I was hopping you'd stop by, you've always got some useful crits smile.gif
    (I've updated my above post with the new version)
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    I like the armor idea!

But mounting the pet to this horn on armor is strange and unlogical for me.
    You know what I mean?:D (sorry for that, just a joke:p)
    52fe87c6425673bf.jpg

Keep going with this!
    Salute!
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    laugh.gif It could've been worse:
    HyenaMounted.jpg
    'Can you smell it?'

Yeah I've been in denial, in the beginning I really liked the idea, but the more I worked on it the more I started hating it.
    I'm thinking about either a leash attaching somewhere inside the ‘mouth’ of the skull on his chest, or going for a leash and arm wrapped in chains.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c023dev polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, wicked Ideas, like it!

But I would watch out too that the armor doesn't obviously handycap him.

Keep it up!
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    This is coming along great Jaco, keep it up. Though the armor design feels like Petroc's piece that he did, more fine art than practical in inception. But after I saw you how you had the dog on his chest, I said ok this works:)hahah cracked me up.

Spark
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the comments.
    Spark, thanks! Yeah you’re right about the Petroc vibe, I love the crazy stuff he does and it’s definitely an inspiration.

I’ve decided to scrap the hyena so that I can actually finish this, I’ve also started over, so that leaves me with about 10 days to finish this (plus other freelance work frown.gif )

Here’s the base/rough block out :

RoughBase.jpg

PaintO.jpg

sorry for the ugly grabs, it's past midnight smile.gif
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    i´m not sure about the mask/helmet.. but the i´m waiting for the rest to be brushed .. NOW smile.gif
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Yes sir! Yeah the mask is ugly atm, still very wip