Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - wester-untitled

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
wester polycounter lvl 13
OH MAN

first year committing myself to something like this haha.

i hope i can stand up and next to(even alittle) you guys.

I am starting right away. the sooner i start designing, the sooner i can address the problems i know im oging to run into haha.

they are a race of alien sent to one of the 9 planets. they are a race built and bred to kill. however they were abandoned on the planet when the machines were destroyed. and 1000 years later have evolved, and adapted to their new home.

they aren't necessarily assassins anymore, however it will be reflected in their designs and accessories that they used to be.

sillouhettes for now. i want them to be tall, majestic, kind of menacing looking, but with a since of wisdom. Like the cloning aliens from star wars, except they were kind of creepy with a hint of magesty. and i definitly want two sets of arms.

DOMINANCEWARconcept.jpg

Replies

• Jaco
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    If you're going for wisdom/majesty, a straight, strong line should form the neck and spine line. At the moment the spine/neck line reminds me of something old or weak, hunched.
    I like the idea of a proud reptilian race of warriors, keep it up!
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Some of those profiles are really promising, especially the second row IMHO.
    I should go and do some of this style of thumbnail, I think I'm starting too big at the moment smile.gif
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    head studies

the first set are some head silhouettes. But it started looking like a cross between an elite and godzilla...that was not even what i wanted.
    So i decided to go a little softer, humanize them abit more for a better emotional effect on the audience. Something to give them to relate to.

I used one of my first zbrush head as reference.
    here that is....
    fishman-1.jpg

And the silhouettes

DOMINANCEWARconcept_heads.jpg

The new heads with color, i was listening to john williams and couldnt stop myself hah.

DOMINANCEWARconceptcopy.jpg
  • Rens
    really love the last drawing, sweet man
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    really love the last drawing, sweet man

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks man
    it was a freakin process to get to a happy place with that design. literally took me all day. i dont think i've ever spent an entire day on something before hah.
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    LOve the concepts man! Really nothing to crit or give tips on...great work(love the second colored head)
  • Oleg
    Offline / Send Message
    Oleg polycounter lvl 14
    looking nice ! Love the his face
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    love those last drawings, digging the dragon-like faces.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I wasn't too sold on the dragonesque look from your initial thumbs, but the head designs have hooked me!
    Nice stuff, and keep cracking!

-caseyjones
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    Another sketch

I've been checking out alot of art books and stuff. I'm really trying to solidify my art and become more than familiar with gesture and anatomy.

that being said
    this guy's becoming more and more fun to draw, except now the hard part, weapons, clothing, armor.

I can't decide on making him a tribal type race of alien, or a draped robe, noble type.

help on that?

dominancewar_concept-1.jpg
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    Some armor and stuff.

This isnt the finished design for the armor...but the alien itself is done as far as concept goes. Now i just have to give him some pretty/applicable armor and clothing.

I've not given him a class or anything til tonight.

He's a Stalker of Air/Lighting.

His weapon doubles as a fan type weapon, he spins to create the air he controls......and they are also, axes. And the tentacles on his back help to create lightning for him to control.

dominancewar_concept-2.jpg
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, i just started workin on the mesh.

I'm makina semi highpoly/semi lowpoly, duplicating him...detailin the hell out of the high poly, then baking.

maybe takin the lowpoly down some more too.

give it to me folks
    i joined Dominance war this year to get better, to grow as a modeler, the only way i can do that is with good crits.

tough love people ha

WIP.jpg
  • richkid
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    weeeeesssss... what, were you too busy to call back last weekend! im gonna be down in san diego again this weekend, so im gonna call again.

anyway, this guy is a lot of fun, the 2 things im not feeling thus far are the long tenticles on the back, and the collar. play around with those for a bit more, see what you come up with.

peace
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    haha
    im never too busy baby!

yeah man, i left my phone charger in another state and am currently waiting for it to be sent back to me hah.
    woops laugh.gif

yeah man, i should have a charger by next weekend, gimme a call man.

and as far as the tentacles and collar bone goes......i'll do something else with the tentacles and play with them abit. but im not sure what you meant by collar....you mean his neck guard/helmet i have going on?

ps.
    im probably switching to game art bwahaha
    how funny
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    I redid the basemesh, what is now the highpoly cause i was shown a different much better way of modeling than what i was doing.

This is the start of the highpoly, i've been working on the shoulders, biseps...some of the back.

Things im going to do are pull the shoulders back, and pull the little arms up alittle bit.

DOMwar.jpg
  • stimpack
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    wooooo wes!! i like ur concept man! this is gonna get fun!

for the model, put a bit more shape into the the chest area. it seems boxy right now. same with pelvis. arms are lookin good! keep goin sucka!

phil
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my highpoly so far. All i have to do now is put some finer details like accessories, pockets, coins...etc. Things that will give him a more tribal look.

Then for some zbrush'n fun.

I actually don't have access to a tablet at the moment, so progress may be slow

[image]Untitled-1-1.jpg[/image]
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the highpoly in maya.
    moving to zbrush as soon as i can get my hands on a tablet.

started blocking out the lowpoly too.

Untitled-1-2.jpg
  • DeathByChris
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
    wow thats looking nice, great sketches too.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    yes this is getting realy nice

only crit so far.. the head/neck area is atm a bit too heavy
  • Soccerman18
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Coming along pretty nicely. The feet look a little too weak to hold him up right now.
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    I still havent gotten to the fun part frown.gif
    i don't have a tablet for awhile...so no zbrushing the highpoly til i can borrow one from someone.

Almost done with the lowpoly, I definitely need some crits on that part. I'm not sure how well my normals will do on some parts, like the armor going down his torso. How much modeling to texturing needs to be done.

he's not mirrored yet either, so there is some weird stuff in the center....i just duplicated it over for aesthetics...easier for me ot model when i can see it as a whole.

Untitled-2copy.jpgUntitled-1-3.jpg

*rollin.....yeah I'm thinking about thinning out his neck, it looked cooler when he was hunched over, but since i've given him better posture, i might make it thinner.

fixing the feet also
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    The lowpoly is finished finally.

Still havent gotten to zbrush the highpoly. it's killlling me. i gotta get my hands on a tablet.

Untitled-1-4.jpg
  • stimpack
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    your modeling is solid man! im loving the progress so far!! just a reminder before you hit zbrush. be sure to chamfer the edeges of things you DONT want to be smoothed. example the edge of bracers and stuff like that. anything that is "solid" will have hard edges on the outsides, so easiest way to do it is chamfer those edges in maya before zbrushing it. Also its personal taste, but i like to meshsmooth my mesh before sending it to zbrush. zbrush tends to "shrink" things when it subdivides. you can avoid that by meshsmoothing it first in your 3d package, then exporting that higherpoly model to zbrush and starting from that. keep goin bro! its comin out nice!
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man

oooh good call. i had forgotten about the edges like that. I'll definitely chamfer those hard edges and mesh smooth in maya.
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got my hands on a tablet. My buddy let me borrow it for awhile.

So with that...i did this

Untitled-1-6.jpg

I'm having some trouble lining up my highpoly and lowpoly, for some normal mapping goodness. I've still got alot of learning to do with normal maps. but im making progress.

I'm starting to highpoly his body.

but there is his head sculpt in zbrush.
    i've also found that giving him the initial color map in zbrush to be much more intuitive to me than photoshop painitng him.
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    His arm sculpt.

Getting there

Untitled-2-2.jpg
  • iworkat
    I like to model overall... I think the neck area is looking a little flat and non descript... If you gould give the nose or snout area some more depth, that would be good also... It's going to be interesting to see where this goes!!! Good stuff... Also in the face the chine looks a little wide and flat... It's all opinion!

peep game:
    http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?p=40166&posted=1#post40166