Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIII - 3D - Valandar - Thwomper Boomfoot

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Valandar polycounter lvl 18
Yeah, wanna do something unique, and definitely a different silhouette than what most are gonna have.

This is a VERY rough sketch of the critter that's gonna be inside whatever armor and gear I whip up for him:

Concept001.jpg

I'm working out in my head what his bone structure will be, and he may end up completely different.

For one, he probably won't look like a smiling little gremlin when he's done...

Replies

• Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugh. >.<

I've filled about 3-4 pages full od thumbnail sketches and not a single one has really caught my eye. I think that weirdness up above, suitably overhauled and modified, might end up being my best bet. >.<
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i sugest more thumbnailing, post results to get feedback.i'm personaly not getting the correct vibe with this piece.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    valandar, your shit freaks me the fuck out.

(give it a penis)
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ummm... I dun think so, aesir. :P

Rhinokey: That's the problem, everything I've sketched out has ended up even LESS 'grabbing' than this guy.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IS there any kind of "how to" on making thumbnail sketches? I tried, and ended up with nothing but shapeless scribbles. >.<
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    thats how it all starts - make shapeless scribbles until you can make some of them look like less shapeless scribbles. its mostly an exercise for your brain to come up with shapes and ideas quickly as opposed to sitting and commiting to something you develop in one shot.

make quick strokes and marks, let your brain just go and create instead of worrying too much about specifics. once you have a few, look at them and try to make sense of them, rescribble and shape.

eventually you may start seeing things or shapes you like, and can combine them in new drawings. if you're brainstorming, dont worry about speicifics, just get ideas down first.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The quickly bit is the problem. I got nuthin'.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no 'how toos'.. but er.

okay suppose u wanna do sommin humanoid. set down those circles / cylinders which make the basic shape. now at selective points [shoulders, knees, elbows, head, shins etc], break that silhouette that the basic shapes make. have a specific look at all the breaks: 'jagged' 'flowy'etc etc. dont push it too far, cuz then its a mess.

if u dont want sommin humanoid, then its jsut the base forms that change, the idea of breaking the silhouette is the same. just how u go about it will be ever-so-slightly different.

then again, i prolly have no clue wat im talkin about... ive become used to thumbnailing these days.

good luck man!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I decided to see what I could do playing around with the concept in a medium I'm more comfortable with. Again, there's no armor, garb, or anything on this yet, it's just a concept. And I know I'd probably have to rotate the arms about 90 degrees down, but still:

Concept002.jpg
  • naruSol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    If Slimer were a pokemon, he would dream of evolving into something at buttfugly as this. Nice!

I'd like to see something different with the arms though. A little less standard humanoid arms, a bit more crazy floating tentacled slimer pokemon evolution creature arms.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hrms...

When 3DS Max is done rendering something for my paying job, I might render a toon shaded version of this guy as something to paint over and tweak the concept...
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, been a little longer than I thought, but I finally managed to scribble out a few concept thumbs:

roughsketches.jpg

#1: Just a bug thingy with a weird head.

#2: I have no clue.

#3: I decided to see just how far I could push the "Big hands and feet, stocky, with small head and HYUGE weapon"... pretty far, looks like.

#4: Itty bitty guy - humongoid weapon.

#5: The cousin of #1, above, carrying his artifact - a magical battering ram with Earthquake powers.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And another set:

roughsketches2.jpg

6 : The Dark Anteater of Doom

7 : Brontosaur Warlord

8 : Little guy with improbably huge spear thing riding a brute with teeny legs

9: Unknown quadroped carrying the Cauldron of Doom on its back

10 : (Here's where I get a little loopy)

11 : I mean, come on, a flying face carrying evil bagpipes?

12 : Or a bird with a humanlike nose and the Nose Ring of Indescribeableness?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You really can't go past the brontosaurus in terms of pure awesomahj. It'd be good to get a bit more bulk in his body though.
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dig 1,7,8,12

you go go for a squidy look like the model but with some 12 in it, that could be cool

or maybe even 8 with a 12 head and some things coming off the head.

sorry about the very vague explanation.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So that's two votes for the Bronto guy, and a vote for the bug, the little guy riding the brute, and a vote for Nosebird. I've gotten votes from my friends mostly for #3.

Maybe if I combine #3 and #7?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i like 7, but i fucking love the weapon in 10.

give bronto a 1,000 ton weight for a weapon!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So basically he stomps over next to his enemy, and drops it on them? Or would it be on a chain that he swings like a flail?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hrms...

So something like this?

brontocept.jpg
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    the armor makes him look like some guy from mega man.....but it that picture is pure comedic genius
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I'll probably end up adding details as I d the modelling and such.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    YES

haha that's awesome, man!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Haha, make him 2 feet tall and the artifact a broken toaster on a cord laugh.gif
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking of texturing steamroller flat, cartooney robots (the enemy in the challenge) on the base... ONLY texture, like the 1000 ton weight flattened them completely. And then in the beauty shot, him peeling one of them off the base like it's from a sticker book.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started modelling the low poly... yes, I make the low poly, then amp it up and detail it ratehr than the other way around. I think I may be a bit TOO conservative on the polys right now, I've barely got more than 3k without the arms or the weapon. Which, of course, means that I'll probably end up going back and adding in LOTS more details and things.

brontoWIP02.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Good start, but he is looking a bit stiff. You had some nice flowing lines in the concept that aren't showing up now.
    Stay away from straight lines. At the moment the line across the shoulders is too straight, the belt and especially the bit below the pecs. Try arching some of the lines. The belt should sit higher at the back than at the front, because of the weight of his codpiece (?)
    Arch his back a bit too; pull his shoulders back and his chest out.
    Keep it up!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cool idea man, good start! altho the concept looks like he whacked himself in the head laugh.gif
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Yes, this is the most coolest concept.
    I like the proportions much!

Try to focus to adding some details on the sketch, before starting the modeling, because you might get into trouble and lost in ocean of ideas.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yes, this is the most coolest concept.
    I like the proportions much!

Try to focus to adding some details on the sketch, before starting the modeling, because you might get into trouble and lost in ocean of ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

That, I'm afraid, is a wee bit beyond my 2D abilities. Heck, if you asked me a week and a half ago, I'd have said what I have now for the 2D was beyond my 2D abilities.

And I'll get those lines un-straightened once I have the basic mesh done. I agree, though, that belt should be canted, etcetera etcetera.
  • WickedFingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leave the head alone and make the neck ribbed so it looks like George Jetson's penis...Big Birds legs are a wonderful reference.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno about banding his legs like Big Bird's neck...

Meanwhile, here's the current state of the figure:

brontoWIP03.jpg

I've also begun thinking about a name, and like the sound of Thwomper Boomfoot... He thwomps things pretty hard with his 1000 ton weight, and Boomfoot because he's a frickin' Apatosaurus on his hind legs.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And another update... The head was quite crude (though it's not that visible in these pics), so I smoothed it out a bit. I also added all the various straps and bits and smoothed the rerebraces (upper arm plates) a bit.

brontoWIP05.jpg

Still got about 250 tris, so I'm gonna make a little helm for him, like in the concept. Also, you can't see because it goes through the floor, but the chain on the Big Weight (actually just intersecting boxes) continues on for a while - the whole thing is about half again as long as Thwomper is tall.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE:

He's mapped, now. But as I have neither Mudbox nor Zbrush to do the highpoly with, most of his Normal Map will probably be painted, unfortunately...
  • WickedFingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wasn't being serious about the neck but thought it was an open door for a ween joke smile.gif

Like how its coming along but were you gonna add to the feet and hands... seem to be kinda bare.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    so you've obviously modeled his head like that for rigging ease, but why not do the same for the tail?

with 9000 triangles, i think that chain could receive some love.

i actually like the idea of neck-rings. it's spacey!

i'm excited this dude is getting made.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reason the tail is in the pose it's in is also for rigging ease. It's not likely to ever get bent completely straight at the hips, considering Thwomper there walks upright (though occasionally leaning back on his tail). If his tail straightened out completely, it'd be through the ground. laugh.gif

As for the chain, well, with the additional straps and spikes and things, the final poly count ended up at 8996 triangles...

As for the neck rings, I REALLY don't think so... the idea really doesn't spark my interest much at all. :P
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    i dont know how u modeled this guy but u already used over 8000 polys on him? are u sure ur optimizing him properly? it just seems like he could be made with much less polys since his head is so simple(and thats where polys tend to get used up the most). i think you could optimize certain areas and use them elsewhere where they are needed...such as the chainlinks as sectaurs suggested. the model looks good though! slow down, ur making the rest of us sweat!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    oh, another thing...are u planning on ever straightening his neck the way u have it? if not, i would just model it as close to his relaxed pose as possible. that way his texture will stretch less since the UVing will be optimized to his most comfortable pose. also, the rigging will be easier since you wont have to add as many bones or move anything before you pose him for renders..just a thought!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By the way, this is on hold for a few... got "real world" work ramping up again. Dun worry, I -SHALL- get it completed!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, Slosh, I'll eventually animate him and put him SOMEWHERE, which means a pain animation would include his head whipping back.

Meanwhile, work has slowed down some, so maybe I'll be able to put some detail on this bad boy as soon as possible!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I now have to officially bow out - work is just too busy to get anything really done.