Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need hard crits (plz)

.eb
.eb
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
.eb polycounter lvl 12
I finally bought mudbox...it was either that or another TV for the house. laugh.gif
Anyways, this is my first sculpted head and I realize a few things wrong but I would like for you guys to give me some 'real' advice if you have a moment to spare.

The image is of 2 screens I grabbed before mudbox crashed. I was prepared to do a few more things prior to crash but I chose to stop. Besides, lack of experience is keeping me from banging this out.
guyface1_th.jpg

Things I notice already:
Lips need stencil
Neck is too skinny
Eyebrows need stencil
(ignore ears plz)heh
...I think the hair is a bit "meh"...any advice on that ?

I like the head, but it is not making me say "wow". I know practice will help a little, but I think advice with some opinions will help more.

Thanks
eb

P.S. Almost forgot, this is for a low to high bake

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    First thing that struck me when looking at the head was how wide the jaw is. It's very rare that a jaw would be wider then the cranium.

Also, even though you said to ignore the ears, remember not to underestimate their importance.
  • nacire
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    I'll echo what Polyhertz said about the jaw. I would bring it more in line with the cranium width, it's looking a bit like he had his wisdom teeth pulled. Also, it may just be me, but his eyes seem a tad thin, from corner to corner.
  • Jaco
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Did you use a facegen head as a base?
    If you didn’t I apologize smile.gif
  • chip
    Offline / Send Message
    chip polycounter lvl 18
    Jaw width is definitely reaching toward caricature proportions. The eyes are smallish but not out of the range of normal variation. The majority of the face is well-fleshed but the sides of the bridge of the nose don't follow that look, they seem rather gaunt. There's a faint horizontal ridge running through the forehead, might need some smoothing. Ears are too unfinished to comment on in detail but look a mite small. Eyebrows extend too far back and are too thick at their terminus. Besides needing more mass, the neck musculature looks rather wonky.
  • TheCollect
    textures are awsome tho, but as everyone says, jaw looks wide...or u can fill his mouth with silver, and make him "jaws" from james bond and it would be perfect! =)

edit...where in NY u from? from queens myself =D
  • Zephir62
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    [ QUOTE ]
    First thing that struck me when looking at the head was how wide the jaw is. It's very rare that a jaw would be wider then the cranium.

[/ QUOTE ]

PolyHertz, meet Luke Wilson

tn2_luke_wilson_3.jpg
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    huhha, looks 'tarded, am shure taek liek a fag too !
  • .eb
    Offline / Send Message
    .eb polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the fast replies!

PolyHertz: agreed and understood
    Nacire: upon re-thinking the face, the eyes do need some serious rework. (small-beety eyes)
    Jaco: No, but I have used that app in the past. ...and no worries.
    Chip: I will note what you have said and put it to use as well. (the eyebrows are from photosource of myself but I do see I need to do some uv fixing in that area.)
    TheCollect: heh, thanks for that, I think. :P ...and Syracuse.
    Zephire62: My guy's jaw is a bit extreme...Luke's jaw is close to 'spot on' for the look I am shooting towards.
    BeatKitano: Is that a 'hard crit' ? ..or just an atagonistic insult ? ..either way...odd and unarticulate.

I plan to do research into facial/body muscles. Obviously, this is key. Any suggested links are appreciated.

Thanks again and keep the crits coming plz.
    - eb
  • chip
    Offline / Send Message
    chip polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I plan to do research into facial/body muscles. Obviously, this is key. Any suggested links are appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]This one rocks for facial info:

ARTNATOMY
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Like most people (and yourself have mentioned) the neck is too thin. Generally, the neck is as wide as the jaw. The ears aren't detailed yet, but something to keep in mind is that ears start @ the middle of your eye, stop at the bottom of the nose, and is on the hinge of the jaw.
  • Jay Evans
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Good start. If I had a suggestion, it's do more 3d sketches. The great thing about mudbox is you can quickly do a lot of work. Before you dive right into all the details and texturing, try and do like 10 heads, but only spend 10-20 min on them and keep your subdivisions low. The purpose is it really lets you focus on overall proportions, and look.

Even if you are the worlds best detailer and texturer, without that solid base something will always look "off". After doing more sketches re-do that head and you should be making progress.
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    .eb:[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PolyHertz, meet Luke Wilson

tn2_luke_wilson_3.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z33gpRWWXPA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU9fnMUOFKI&feature=related
    smile.gif
  • dnorth
    Offline / Send Message
    dnorth polycounter lvl 18
    Agree with everybody about the jaw. One other thing I'm noticing, esp. in the 3/4 view, is that the whole nose area and flesh around it look pushed into the face and overall too flat (I'm not referring to the nose itself, which is maybe a bit pointy, but the entire shape of the head in that area). I might take it down a few subdivision and have a look at that. Some of that may be alleviated when you fix the jaw, but I would still bring the whole nose area and part of the mouth forward in space a little. The only other thing I notice is that the chin could use a bit more volume, it looks sort of pinched into a point from front to back. Looks like a good start, though - keep it up. wink.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i got your ref beat.. great movie. as for the head, basicaly type "male head" in google !!WARNING HAVE SAFE SEARCH TURNED ON!! and just look.
  • The_Kozmonaut
    [ QUOTE ]
    basicaly type "male head" in google !!WARNING HAVE SAFE SEARCH TURNED ON!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. but yea the proportions are off significantly in the jaw, right now he looks kind of like a chipmunk. I think my advice would be to scrap it and start over. And I dont mean that in a bad way really, its just I always do it better and faster the more times I try it. Try to stick as close as you can to reference.

although on second look it seems like maybe if the neck was bigger it would look better. either way I stand by what I said first. Unless of course you are on some kind of a tight deadline.