Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Low Fantasy Elf

MLinderholm
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
MLinderholm polycounter lvl 12
Hello Polycount, my first WIP post here. It's a school project, doing characters @ 6000 tris + 1k tris props. My concept was to do a wood elf but in a low fantasy, not quite so cute way. Pretty much done with the high poly, although I'm gonna give the crotch and thigh area a bit more work. The armor is going to get more detail, mainly a ornate "thorny" pattern and some surface detail and scratches. Since this is the first "proper" character I've done I'll try out different techniques and stuff aswell. Due to a rather harsh deadline I might not have time to do any extreme changes but all comments and crits are very much appreciated!

GygWenAmw.jpg

zamPZNkba.jpg

edit: Thanks to Arshlevon btw, even thou we were not allowed to use his base meshes they were great to look at to get a nice base mesh for sculpting the head/torso/legs

Replies

• MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smallish update: weapon high-poly pretty much finished, some shading errors and stuff to get rid of tomorrow after some sleep.

IhJCxUTqn.jpg

wtb crits & comments!
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Can we see some wires???

Proportions look pretty good....for a human. But you're doing an elf, right? You may want to exaggerate the proportions a bit, taking that into consideration. He has very prominent cheekbones...I like the weapon's look...keep it up
  • The_Synj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The_Synj polycounter lvl 18
    Looks really good so far, the proportions seem spot on..but his face doesn't look at all like i imagine an elfs to look like. His forehead is probably the thing that keeps catching my eye. Is it supposed to look like its jumping at me? Anyways, the weapon looks great. Can't wait to see some textures.
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaoticvisions: I'll post the wire as soon as the lowpoly is done and normalmapped, now its pretty much just a solid color of wireframe =)

the_synj: Good point, I changed the forehead, i'll post it in the next update.

Atm I'm working on the lowpoly and transferring maps, haven't done it on a large scale before so if anyone got any tips for making it work properly without too much of a hassle, please tell me smile.gif
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much done with the weapon low poly, so just a quick update before going home to sleep.

PKDvysnBt.jpg
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time for a update I guess. Low poly and normal maps are nearing completion.

myjgLBqXk.jpg
    polKHShub.jpg

Cheers!
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    neat, Your normal maps are doing a lot of work, looks really nice. I'm not much of a character guy, but it seems to me that you need to give the pant folds some more lovin.

Also his forehead looks a little long to me. I took it into photoshop and just pulled his forehead down some and I think it looks better.

Elfman.jpg

Edit:

After looking at it more, the Jaw bone is also REALLY off, refer to my super handy guide to see what it should be, and what yours is doing.

Jaw.jpg
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I did some quick modifications, I'm going to give the pants some love a bit later. Changed the jaw bone and forehead a bit.
    SCDTPeMJO.jpg
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    am I the only one who things the breastplate should overlap over the abdoment plates? Those seams look like a "shoot/stab me here" bonus.

The neck anatomy looks kinda chunky, I don't have the name for it, but the muscle/tendon that attaches from the bottom of the ear should go to the inside end of the collar bone shouldn't it, looks like it's just going straight down.
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's called the sternocleidomastoid wink.gif Yeah it's supposed to go beneath the centre of the collarbone, dunno why I didn't see that, thanks!

The front plates overlap, but I left a little gap between the chest part and the side one so that he would be able to get more freedom of movement, might change that thou.

Thx
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    The model has pretty flat hands. Here's a nice tutorial about hands:
    http://www.androidblues.com/handtut.html
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base textures are pretty much done, did a quick pose and stuff. Need to add some more variations to the texture, add some low poly hair, proper lights and stuff like that. Comments and crits are welcome as always!

iFRIaMTLr.jpg