Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Glacier Enviornment WIP

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Cody polycounter lvl 15
Wanted to do a cool next gen enviornment for the portfolio.
Sitting at 1,173 Tris, 1x1024 normal and diffuse.
Here is the my reference . Just started this weekend, but want this piece to help get me a job, so harsh crits are encouraged. Btw, I know the uv layout sucks. Advice? UV layout

ghigh.gif
gcolor.gif
gwire.gif

Replies

• Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    No environment of this size would use a laid out flat UV map. Work on a nice repeating texture and then feel free to break up the spots where it is repeating with stuff like rocks, trees, dirt piles, etc.

I honestly wouldn't even think of working on something this size from this distance. Get down into the scene (like your reference does) and detail out the environment from there.

Feel free to put some triangles in there. Carve out the terrain (like the reference) and that will help your texture repeat better. In fact, go with a 2048 for the dirt and a 2048 for the ice stuff.

If you wanted to actually do the scene like your reference I wouldn't expect anything less than 20k triangles at LEAST. Even if you were using the terrain editor in UE3 you would be hard pressed to get less than that for something this size.

Remember "Next Gen" is 2-3 years from now. What we have now is "This Gen". Look at open terrains in games "This Gen" and see how they are doing things.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    I'm assuming the white parts are the misty areas in the reference? I wouldn't put those directly into the terrain. They could be brought in as props or part of the sky or post effects.

I'd also break the ice off as a separate piece.

Hourences has a pretty decent tutorial on how to bring together a UT3 map, but he builds a cave/rock-like structure and he really doesn't hold back on the polys/tri's. He even states in the tutorial that the final mesh ended up with a lot more polys than whats in those screenshots. And one thing that I've learned from the people around here when building rock is don't be afraid to cut more detail in.

Also of note there is how he created his rock texture and used vertex colours to blend that with a sand texture. It's a technique I'm still learning, but it might be worth checking out!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah that ice would be a seperate mesh anyways just because of material setups and shit. Plus the rock pieces would be split into at least two areas and once the ice is added it will all look like one piece.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    No environment of this size would use a laid out flat UV map.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are in ET: Quake Wars smile.gif
    The whole landscape is uv-mapped as a single piece... so it's definitely doable.
    However as Jesse said it's likely that you'll want a different shader for the ice than the rocks so it makes sense to split it up anyway.

It's also better to try and figure out how to use tiling textures effectively since that is what you'll be using the majority of the time in games.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, not that it wouldn't be UVMapped as a single piece, I'm talking about unwrapping and handpainting a terrain of this size fitting inside of a single 0 to 1 UV space.

Not that it isn't done, mind you, but I would really be impressed to see how the color map holds up resolution-wise. It would be wiser to break it up with the geometry and have a nice high res repeating texture IMO. (If I'm completely missing some technique, feel free to show me:))
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    More reference images...
    Glacier ref

Glacier ref

Glacier ref

Glacier ref

More reference to help you out. Cool subject matter but the ref you chose was sorta boring and tiny.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ott: http://d8d.org/hosted/etqwmaps/
    Choose "Refinery" from the drop-down list, then look at the hills in the top right, zoom in to highest level...

Each terrain there was unwrapped in the 0-1 space and uniquely textured (although not really handpainted... that would be silly).

Agreed that good, interesting reference images will really help this. You've picked a fairly tough subject but if you pull it off it should be a great portfolio piece!

Also, here's a tutorial for how to do that sort of stuff: http://wiki.splashdamage.com/index.php/An_Advanced_Terrain_and_Megatexture
    Might be useful for you, Cody.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks for the help guys,
    @MoP - Sweet tutorial! Thanks. Starting over now. That map looks sweet!
    @IronHawk - Thanks for the ref, man.
    @Jesse and ott - started to break it up and detail below
    @Saidin311 - The white parts were lighter rock, was starting detail.

Anyway, I'm going to start over with that sweet tut from MoP, but this was what I was working on today. Wire link below.
    Added some lighting. Bottom image is a top left close up.
    I made a tiled texture with a mix map.

rightrocktest2.gif

rightrocktest3.gif

WIRES
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Assuming your in max look into using vert paint with your mix maps. It's similar to terrain painting in an engine editor.

Check into using world machine like the tut says for adding some realistic erosion.
  • Remus989
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow man. Thats lookin' good. I like the blue lighting on the rock walls.

I demand more!
  • chip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chip polycounter lvl 18
    For some other good refs Google up "Matanuska Glacier." It's an Alaskan glacier that has a very long terminus extending out into a beautiful valley, so it's very accessible for hikers/climbers and about a zillion pics have been shot of it, all differnt scales & POVs. Took some m'self years back wink.gif
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    Dont forget the subsurface scattering! It would be interesting to see someone tweak out Ben Cloward's or JI Stiles' skin shader to do glacial ice.

VERY-blue-iceberg_WEB.jpg

BergieComposite_WEB.jpg

d2257.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    sss very expensive for env. stuff still but maybe some baked in ambient and frensel lighting will do the trick