Home General Discussion

web browser gaming

Replies

• nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    More than likely these games are being installed somewhere on your machine and played via the browser. That's not to say that they're dropping a few gigs without you knowing it, but something is being put somewhere, most likely in your temp and then allowing you to be dl free until you delete your cache. It's a nice model.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I already signed up, it'll have what appears to be the spiritual succesor to Tribes (hopefully like 1, or 2 classic...). It claims to run any engine, so it's likely Nitzmoff is right.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Looks nice I wonder what web browser engine they use?
    I just read some of the terms of use, seems they are thinking of making money off this in a variety of ways.

1. Charging fees

"We may charge fees or other charges to access certain areas of our site, play certain games, purchase certain items and/or participate in certain activities."

2. allowing users to buy "action-tokens" aka micropayments

"The Service offers virtual currencies called ActionTokens ("Tokens") and ActionPoints ("Points"). You can acquire the currencies in a variety of ways. For example, you can purchase Action Tokens, or certain services may give you Action Points for using the service or specific features of the service."

3. on site advertising

"We may allow third-party advertising companies or ad networks to display advertisements on our websites."

I dont like any of these 3 things so Im not signing up.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a huge Tribes fan, so I'm hoping for success with this, but it doesn't appear that mods will be allowed, which will really kill any interest on my part :/
    The Garage Games group has been known to disappoint in the past, so we'll see.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notman: I'd love to see a return to t1's server-side mods, those were genius. You didn't have to download a thing unless you wanted custom models, and there were some quite extensive mods!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was the same for Tribes 2 actually. Tribes Vengeance is where they screwed things up. I was one of the most vocal at the Sierra boards about how they were screwing that game up, yet they wouldn't listen and that version was an utter flop.

Anyway, I'm one of the devs for the TAC mod, which was started in Tribes 1, but I wasn't part of the mod at that time. It was completely server side at that time. The version for Tribes 2 requires downloads, because like you mentioned, it had custom models and a huge map pack.

We've been desperately been trying to find a new game to move the mod forward on, but it reminds us how unique the Tribes series is. We can't find a game that conveys the same feel.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the programmers on Quake Wars mentioned how easy it'd be to implement skiing and jetpacks though, didn't he?
    And I loved TAC smile.gif
    Never played it in T2 (I hated the dynamics of the game at launch), although I'd love to see you guys do a standalone version. Weren't you doing something with Renwerx and their own engine or something? Or was that based on Torque as well?

Anyway, I actually came here to say I'm in the private beta, and If you give me your email address I can invite you (which gets you in automatically)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm part of Renwerx still... sort of. I haven't done much for them lately. I did a few models for them, then they changed model leads and half my stuff was replaced, so I sort of lost interest since I have very limited time to offer free help just to have it cut. Especially when people seemed to really love them when I first created them. I think the only thing that still exists, from what I created, is the resupply station.
    It is designed using Torque, the latest and greatest, but it's also the reason they've been delayed. The GG guys haven't done a good job keeping with promises... from what I'm to understand at least.

I'd love to get an invite for this new game. I have other sources that were suppose to send me one, but that still hasn't come through. I'll PM you my email addy.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to make it clear: Right now Legions isn't in beta yet. I think the only game they're currently running is Marble Blast, but I'm not sure as I just got my invite myself. I'll still add you though, so you'll be good to go once they get to the good stuff. Not that Marble Blast couldn't be fun in multiplayer, I must say the vid I saw of it looked pretty damned fun.

edit: Think Thanks, Marble Blast and ScrewJumper. They went on a bit of a rant on hardcore games in an interview though, saying how this wouldn't be a platform for puzzle-games, and there would be high-end graphics as well, so i take it these got in mostly because they're from the GG stable