Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Small town environment

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
Hi all, I'm lloking for crits on my geometry and advice on how to become an environment artist. The aim is to recreate an environment of a small town in the US, with the aim of making a mod of an Amiga classic - It Came from the Desert.

shops_w.jpg
cantina_w.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The models look alright. How far away are they going to be seen from? I think you could probably halve the polygon count of those window arches (especially the ones in the first shot which are hardly curved at all) and nobody would notice... unless they're meant to be seen from right up close.
    Not a huge deal though.
    Also the window-sills in the first screenshot have a split of edges down the middle of them for no apparent reason.

It's pretty straightforward geometry, so the texturing will make or break it, I reckon.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I hope I'm not piling on...but if its gonna be seen a distance away...you can texture one of the windows and the wall section and duplicate it around.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there, its going to be for a FP view.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Your water tower looks a little off. Heres some nice reference that looks a bit like your tower.

45-%20Old%20Commerce%20Water%20Tower.jpg

Might want to think about putting some nice objects on top of your buildings to add a little more interest. Other then that its coming along nicely. Nice work.
  • spideyscott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it looks good. One thing and maybe this is me but its kinda hard to tell where the water tower actually is. Is it directly behind the building or further back? Im sure once more detail is added to the scene it will be easier to see where it is postioned.