Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another Maquette- WIP *image heavy*

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Tully polycounter lvl 18
I mentioned in my demon maquette thread that I was making another one and offered to take more WIP images from it, so here it is! The maquette I'm working on now is getting
close-to-being-done-ish, so I thought I'd post a whack of them. The picture quality isn't great, but the light in there doesn't make it easy to get good photos without a tripod.

Yes, I do sculpt in my living room in front of the TV :P Those are not my pizza coupons.

1-armature.jpg
Armature -- a combination of thick armature wire, thinner wire twisted together with a power drill (that's the arms -- just something I'm trying), plumber's epoxy putty (that's the brown stuff) and white fimo that I had lying around just to stiffen it up a tad and give the sculpey a surface to grab on to.

2a-blockout.jpg
2b-blockout.jpg
Just laying in the rough shape of the creature now. Trying to get volumes approximately where I want them-- keeping everything pretty loose, but keeping in mind his anatomy. Laying in the sculpey as if they were muscles from deep to superficial makes it easier to get it looking right.

3a-roughdetail.jpg
3b-roughdetail.jpg
I use a small dental pick-type tool to blend areas together using a cross-hatch type motion. It's easier to see the actual shape you're creating after you do this.

4a-morerough.jpg
4b-morerough.jpg
4d-morerough.jpg
going, going, going...

5a-midlevel.jpg
5b-midlevel.jpg
5c-midlevel.jpg

6a-lowlevel.jpg
redid the face a bit -- initially I just wanted teeth, but I decided in the interim that it didn't have the impact or evilness I wanted.

6b-closeup.jpg
At this point, I use a small paintbrush to lay on solvent (odourless mineral spirits in this case, but anything that thins paint will generally work)which melts the surface of the sculpture, gets rid of tool marks and allows very fine detailing. I'm not 100% sure that this is the way it's gonna end up, but trying a few things out.

Hope you guys enjoy. Cheers, everybody smile.gif

Replies