Home General Discussion

Fallout 3

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
I love fallout, don't you?
Here's to bethesda for buying the franchise and doing what they can to make a good game out of it (remains to be seen, but i'm hopeful) , even with the limitations of ESRB as compared with back when fallout and fallout 2 were made.
Sure, if whoring my character out for money, and stray bullets nailing a child in the face, and some other such things get taken out well then...
I'll be saddened, but i'll continue on, so long as the game is good, amirite?
Apparently, hardly anyone on the actual Fallout 3 forums seems to think that bethesda is capapble of making a fallout game.
Or any good game.
Seriously, read some of this;
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/

Replies

• East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    The "hardcore" Fallout fans are a very small, but vocal minority in the world of gaming, and they will only be happy when they play the original games. I have some reservations about the looks of F3, but it doesn't stem from me being a fan of the original series. I loved the games, but I played them, enjoyed them, and then went on with my life.

I'm not worried about the ESRB ruining anything. As long as the game doesn't have any fully clothed interactive petting mini-games, it'll get a Mature rating and be sellable in stores.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    anyone who thinks bethesda can't do it? well I guess theyll miss a rather special game
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Fan forums are akin to cats discussing football and worth as many lulz.
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i had a very edifying conversation with one of the former programmers from the original fallout team on the topic of fallout 3. he said that the reason they pushed so hard internally to get the F2 editor/scripting tools released to the public is because there was some recognition of the fact that really, that'd be the only way a "proper" sequel of fallout 2 would get made, through the community, building with the tools that made fallout 2.

i agree with him wholeheartedly. fallout 3 is probably going to be a lot of fun, with the same kind of lumpiness we know to expect with Bethesda. but if the mod community embraces it to anywhere near the degree they did Oblivion, then we'll see some very dedicated fan-made patches to get the game into a shape maybe more similar to the first two games (with the obligatory cosmetic tweaks, of course smile.gif )
  • bounchfx
    honestly, I never played fallout before until after hearing of the third one. I played both of them, and couldn't get into either... I'm sure they were great for their time, but I'm glad as hell bethesda is taking a new route with the franchise.

I really like how oblivion was, and would be perfectly content if it was just a sci fi oblivion with guns. Realistically speaking, it better be more than that, but we have yet to have something quite like that. I think the closest would be STALKER from what I heard of it
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, i played the first games as part of the whole fallout 3 "omg awesome"
    thing
    And i couldn't get into the first one for some reason, and the second one took a while but was great fun, although it died for me near the end, as I became very very bored with the combat, and eventually just gave up
  • TheWinterLord
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    The Fallout 1 and 2 are my favourite games, and now with the 3rd comming out from Bethesda my friend borrowed the second one... Resulting my cd being in the other side of the world... frown.gif

Ok enough crying... I hope Bethesda makes a great game, I hope they keep some core stuff from the 2 previous games like the dark comedy, setting/atmospheric feel. Fun

Ok but wtf is up with eh guy in the armour? Brothers of Steel has one armour design that they are using already, such important details they cant change right so I hope they got a good explanation for that one smile.gif good luck!
  • rebb
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Those "hardcore Fallout Fans" should just give Bethesda a fucking break. What has been released so far from Fallout3 looks really promising, and being able to run around in 1st/3rd Person in the World of Fallout should be good fun.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    its hard to comment on gameplay right now and we wont know what elements will crossover from the previous titles yet BUT so far i am dissapointed in the art direction. It just doesnt look like fallout, it looks like an oblivion mod were they have randomly thrown in stuff that is stereotypically post apoc.
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    The only thing that bothers me about Fallout 3, is the fact that it seems Bethesda is using Facegen again for it. Other than that, I'm pretty stoked to play it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ok but wtf is up with eh guy in the armour? Brothers of Steel has one armour design that they are using already, such important details they cant change right so I hope they got a good explanation for that one smile.gif good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?
    falloutarmor.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I don't really like what i've heard about fallout 3, but the armor's already pretty much been explained. The Capital wasteland brotherhood has access to a lot more pre-war technology, it makes sense that unlinke the Brotherhood on the west coast, the have the means to produce new power armor.
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    i feel like the designers back when fallout 1 and 2 were made had a bit more freedom, if you read some of the interviews with tim cain or jason anderson they talk about putting in alot of moral ambiguity into the game, making the choices people emake more shades of grey rather than an obvious good vs evil, honestly if fallout would have been in development now it would NEVER get any kind of funding.

As far as Fallout 3 goes, i think art will be nothing to complain about, i'm fairly certain that bethesda's art team is better than what interplay had going on back in 1996, but i do believe that while the first 2 games were more reflections of their creators' personalities at the time, the third one will be a product for sale. And thats not bad, its just different, i'm sure the guys at Bethesda like fallout and they are thinking hey we really like this, lets make it really cool and appealing to others, and i'm sure they'll succeed at least to some extent, but it is impossible to capture the atmosphere of the first 2 games, no matter who does it.
  • nitzmoff
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    *distributes littles cheese slices with true waiterly class*

Why such resistance to change? You guys are talking about a sequel being made for a game that's nearly 10 years old and complaining that stuff's different? Come on now.

This is a new era with a new dev taking on the project. Let them do their thing. When I see first person body part selective combat in a post apocalyptic wasteland chalk full of post WWII advertising style cartoon guys selling nuclear weapons I don't say 'well golly, that there is a casual game.'

Did you like Bioshock? Remember how that one simultaneously pleased the hardcore fans with it's awesome setting and gameplay and also expanded the palette for what Joe Walmart is willing to try? You know that's a good thing right?

More revenue generated from games is a good thing for everyone across the board. It's good for gaming. I don't care how many crotchety old duffs are bitching over at NMA- there's not enough of them to make a AAA title go multi platinum, so making a niche little pc game to please them only works if your budget is tiny.

Personally, I'm loving that Fallout is coming out full force to the rest of the world. Most folks playing it will be playing a Fallout for the first time and that is awesome.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I'd have eagerly awaited this title, but I'm not a big fan of Bethesda's works so far. They focus a lot on background lore with dozens of books and all that, but I feel their characters and dialogue are severely lacking. I played out all of Oblivion's Mages Guild quests, but for the life of me, I can't remember who was my quest-giver. And I think that's unacceptable in an RPG.

It's a shame, because I really liked Fallout's universe. Not saying that the original games were all that great, but I'm just a sucker for retrofuturism.
  • Armanguy
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    never played it.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm looking forward to it. I liked Oblivion and Morrowind, and they seem to be doing a good job on this so far.
  • TheWinterLord
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    falloutarmourfj1.jpg
    Ok so the helmet looks similar but why change it at all, and Im just saying i dont like the armour designs, the helmet is good but not the rest of the body its bad in my opinion. Honestly i dont care much about that, I just hope the game is great and nothing is telling me that its not smile.gif
  • Slash
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Oblivion was a disappointment for me, i hope they do a better job with fallout, seeing how i love the franchise and would LOVE to revisit it again.

I hope they don't make stupid mistakes like giving every robber and thug uber powerarmor after you get to a certain level...
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, hopefully Bethesda don't use the same leveling they did in Oblivion, that was fucked honestly, but if they do, I'm sure a mod will come out pretty quickly.