Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A Warhammer piece.

"The Screaming Bell is an unholy altar under the protection of the Horned Rat himself. From atop one of these massive structures a Grey Seer will preach to the chittering hordes of Skaven. As varied as the legends describing the creation of the Skaven race may be, the Screaming Bell is an ever-present factor. The sound of it's tolling reach deep inside the evil hearts of the rat-men, inspiring awe and devotion. In battle the ominous sound of the Bell can be heard above the clamor of the fighting. It is a message of death for the rat-men's enemies, and a message of victory for the Skaven."

Screaming%20Bell.jpg

What do you think? comments/critiques please!

Replies

• Saidin311
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    I like the simplicity of the model, but I think I would dirty it up a bit. The texture looks good too, but overall it looks like something I would expect the Dwarves to create, not the Skaven. It looks more noble than a message of death.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Looking real cool smile.gif seems like you got some normalmap problem or a seam down on the weight thing on the front right. or maybe thats how it's supposed to look.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, pretty cool!

The grey metal doesn't seem shiny enough to be metal, it looks too flat at the moment - I guess you have a specular map judging by the bell, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything anywhere else.

Also I think an ambient occlusion bake over the top of the texture would help make the whole thing seem a bit more solid.

In addition to this, you have a lot of polygons not really adding much to the silhouette (like the rings around the bell) - I would either get rid of those and let the normal-map do the work making it seem deep, or exaggerate them so that they're obvious in the silhouette... otherwise it's just polygons that nobody will ever really notice.

Pretty cool though, looking forward to seeing more smile.gif
  • doc rob
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Matt (Lucas here). I'm glad to see you posting.

A couple of thoughts:

- I think the scale of this thing is being lost a little bit. There might need to be some details on there to help your eye realize how huge it is. Maybe it's the overall thickness/chunkiness of it. I'm not sure what I would do, just a general comment.

- The textures are pretty solid, but I think they could use some color variation - especially the metal bell. It looks like it could be copper, which means it might have a patina to it from being outside or in a wet cave. Like MoP said, how you use your spec map (and if it's colorized) can have a nice metallic effect as well.

Overall very solid work, so I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I second the lack of scale and color variation.

Skaven are these gnawing, clawing rats. I'd add a lot more scratches, and not perfect, even scratches like you've made. Make them look like a clawed paw took a single swipe here and there (too many random scratches make no sense. Well placed scratches with meaning help tell a story).
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    theres some jerk who about a year back made one of these bell things.. i wonder what ever happened to him.
  • mattyelf
    Thanks everyone! Your comments help lots, and most of them have 'gnawing' at me anyways. I'll give this one a 2nd pass when I get the chance.