Post deleted by El Z0rR
  • El Z0rR
    Post deleted by El Z0rR
  • El Z0rR
    Post deleted by El Z0rR
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Seeing as noone else has posted here I'll jump in.

Normal mapping is pretty streight forward these days, the toughest bit being getting your cage set up nicely. What I would sugest you do is work on your sculpting skills before tinkering with normal maps. Download Arsh's base meshs and any other good SDK/free material you can find and get practicing.

Direct crits on your model:

Anatomy is horrific (no offence), when you want to create something like this you needa a lot of reference. Moles, ardvarks, hell anything that can help give you a better idea of shape and function.

Basing your texture off a normal map is a great tool to help you get the lines and such in the right places, however, just painting on a few blobs and changing colors a bit does not constitute a diffuse map. You need to think about your texture and plan it out before you throw it on the model.

I know my crits are harsh but there is no way to say it any nicer. The model is not too bad in the poly flow department but the shape looks like something from a kids drawing, it lacks form and function. Start out with a skull og what you are trying to make, take reffs from similar shaped skulls in real life and see how and where everything fits together.

Honestly you would be better off looking for some good tutorials and starting on non fictional creatures.

Hope you get some useful info from this post and good luck wink.gif 3d is hard to learn but worth it when the walls start comming down.
  • El Z0rR
    thanks Xaltar smile.gif
    I get what your saying, basically the whole thing is just a blob with blobs on it lol.

thanks for the advice, I'll have a look at some base meshes tutorials etc.

not sure if i should do a concept and start this guy again or if I should just cut my losses
    armadillobeetlecg2.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Neat concept and good job taking my crits as intended. I would say bin this model and make it from scratch using as much real life reff as you can. Take your time blocking in the forms and don't rush on to the sculpt untill the base is looking right.

Keep it up.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    What is with the wanton deleted posts ???
  • Michael Knubben
  • El Z0rR
    [ QUOTE ]
    What is with the wanton deleted posts ???

[/ QUOTE ]
    I posted it step by step as I did more things on it, then I the final thing sucked so I thought the whole thread would delete ...but it didn't, lol.